E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 7 people arrested for cheering at high school graduations

06-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

7 people arrested for cheering at high school graduations

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...on_no_cheering
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

that is retarded
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

uhhhh... ok!

they might as well not hold a graduation if family and friends cannot applaud their success.
      06-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Families are supposed to hold their applause until all the names have been called. If one family starts to hoot and holler after hearing their child's name called, the other families who are respectful and follow the rules get screwed and can't hear their child's name called over all the commotion.

It's easy, people need to get some damn common sense and shut their fat mouths and follow the rules like everyone else. Not that hard.

Arresting is too far, I'll agree. But, if they aren't supposed to utter a peep until all the names have been called, then throw their asses out for ruining it for someone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Families are supposed to hold their applause until all the names have been called. If one family starts to hoot and holler after hearing their child's name called, the other families who are respectful and follow the rules get screwed and can't hear their child's name called over all the commotion.

It's easy, people need to get some damn common sense and shut their fat mouths and follow the rules like everyone else. Not that hard.

Arresting is too far, I'll agree. But, if they aren't supposed to utter a peep until all the names have been called, then throw their asses out for ruining it for someone else.
Agreed. Rules such as no air horns and saving your applauds until the end have been put in place for some time now but people still break them all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Well, in Canada it's legal to applaud during grad ceremony's when names are read out. People here scream like crazy, like in sports stadium.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

that's lame. as they call each child's name, there's usually a good 5-10 second break before the next name is called. during that time, the student walks across the stage, shakes someones hand and grabs their diploma. families can use that time to applaud as they desire. maybe this is done differently in south carolina.

i guess if this was a small department graduation then it would make sense but it was a large high school graduation so its just ridiculous.

Last edited by stooken; 06-11-2008 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:22 AM   #8
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:

is that a universal rule? i just graduated from high school on saturday morning and after each name was called it got pretty crazy. family and friends would sound air horns and scream at the top of their lungs for their graduates; some would go as far as throwing confetti and waving huge banners. no one cared, everyone understood what an exciting and proud moment it was. with the exception of id say 2-3 names, each graduate got the same reception. i dont see anything wrong with being proud and showing it. as far as i know, my school doesnt have any rules against being expressive and vocal.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
that's lame. as they call each child's name, there's usually a good 5-10 second break before the next name is called. during that time, the student walks across the stage, shakes someones hand and grabs their diploma. families can use that time to applaud as they desire. maybe this is done differently in south carolina.

i guess if this was a small department graduation then it would make sense but it was a large high school graduation so its just ridiculous.
I think it is done differently all over. If the procedure is to allow applause in between each name, then I am all for it. You see, I'm just arguing for common sense and following the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
is that a universal rule? i just graduated from high school on saturday morning and after each name was called it got pretty crazy. family and friends would sound air horns and scream at the top of their lungs for their graduates; some would go as far as throwing confetti and waving huge banners. no one cared, everyone understood what an exciting and proud moment it was. with the exception of id say 2-3 names, each graduate got the same reception. i dont see anything wrong with being proud and showing it. as far as i know, my school doesnt have any rules against being expressive and vocal.
I don't think it is universal. If your school allowed that for the ceremony, more power to them.

I'm not against being expressive or vocal, but if at a specific ceremony it is not allowed, it is probably for good reason, so people need to be respectful and realize it is not only their proud moment, but the proud moment of numerous other families.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

When I graduated, there was a good 10-15 seconds between names. By the time the next student came up, everybody was quiet.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
e92leon
我的車車有Turbo&!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 빠른차

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
2006 RX-8 (SE3P)  [0.00]
LOL damn if they did this at my highschool, I think the whole audience would've gotten cited or arrested!
      06-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Was the ceremony held in church or in a library?
      06-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
At my graduation it was a contest to see who had the biggest cheering section. I think it would be ghey without that fun atmosphere.

This is retarded and people who "can't hear their childs names" should buck up, recognize their kid walking accross the stage and cheer for their kid.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #14
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

It's a high-school graduation. What the hell is there to be so obnoxious about? Are they really that surprised the kid graduated? I could understand a little applause for an MD or JD or something, but HS??? WTF, maybe they should just be bitch-slapped for being ignorant and sent back to their seats.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Well I guess I won't cheer at football games until the game is actually over. You know cause it would be rude to the other team until they score.

While I understand the point.....arresting someone is just plain ridiculous. My guess is that the cops told certain people to be quite and when they argued back as to why should they be quiet that's probably when they got arrested.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
It's a high-school graduation. What the hell is there to be so obnoxious about? Are they really that surprised the kid graduated? I could understand a little applause for an MD or JD or something, but HS??? WTF, maybe they should just be bitch-slapped for being ignorant and sent back to their seats.
its probably a big deal for a parent to see their child walk across that stage. its more than getting a high school diploma, graduation symbolizes a coming-of-age and is a pretty big milestone in a childs life. in addition to that, the fact that a graduates parents have devoted a large sum of money, energy and love into their childs education - should be validation enough to give 'a little applause'. i dont know you, but if / when you have kids and they walk across that stage id love to see if youre dead silent.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #17
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I HATE the people who whistle and holler after their kids name is called. The only people who cheer for their kids are the ones who didn't think they would graduate because of their lazy ass. They deserve to be fined, maybe not arrested.

At my sisters graduation one bastard even had an air horn, he got kicked out, thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
oh yah im always afraid of going to watch laker games at staples coz im afraid they'd arrest me for cheering
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #19
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
The only people who cheer for their kids are the ones who didn't think they would graduate because of their lazy ass.
really? so the parents of my class valedictorian didnt think their kid would graduate? i mean, im pretty sure a 4.5 cumulative gpa and acceptance into harvard is enough to assume he was getting a diploma. as it turns out, they were the loudest out of everyone. his parents must have been confused or something.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #20
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
I HATE the people who whistle and holler after their kids name is called. The only people who cheer for their kids are the ones who didn't think they would graduate because of their lazy ass. They deserve to be fined, maybe not arrested.

At my sisters graduation one bastard even had an air horn, he got kicked out, thankfully.
I agree, but you are too lenient. I think five years jail time should be sufficient punishment for this sort of offense. That way they will not be around to cheer when the kid graduates from undergrad school.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #21
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

air horns are annoying but everything else you said before that is just absurd.

IMO the people that just sit there and bitch about other people applauding their kids are the shy ones that can't express themselves.
      06-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #22
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
air horns are annoying but everything else you said before that is just absurd.

IMO the people that just sit there and bitch about other people applauding their kids are the shy ones that can't express themselves.
It's not fair to the kids who don't have anyone there for them or only have their old Grandma or something. The kids who have their entire family tree their to scream for them disrespect those kids. Also, what makes their little precious baby so special that they want to scream over every other kid?
Appreciate 0