E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Kelly's Performance and Kustom

01-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Question Kelly's Performance and Kustom

Has anyone been to this shop? Looking for a local MD place to install some exhaust tips. Looks like they do a lot of custom exhaust work.

http://www.kpkustoms.com/default.asp
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

Hit up the local Midas, I did for my tips and they did a great job. Was initially going to go to a higher end shop but was recommended otherwise by some other members
      01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugeinus View Post
Hit up the local Midas, I did for my tips and they did a great job. Was initially going to go to a higher end shop but was recommended otherwise by some other members
Did the shop swedge/expand the inlet opening on the tips to fit them over your muffler outlet or did they just crimp the muffler outlet? I am looking for a shop that can swedge the tips to make them fit vs crimping the outlet piping. Lot's of shops do not have the right tools to do this.

What did Midas charge you? Will check to see if I have one local to me.

Last edited by cssnms; 01-03-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

pm N8N, his friend has a muffler shop and possibly can help.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

also if you do go to Kelly's talk to Michael Leonard, his number is 202.709.2419
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Did the shop swedge/expand the inlet opening on the tips to fit them over your muffler outlet or did they just crimp the muffler outlet? I am looking for a shop that can swedge the tips to make them fit vs crimping the outlet piping. Lot's of shops do not have the right tools to do this.

What did Midas charge you? Will check to see if I have one local to me.
They didn't expand the inlet opening I don't believe, but they did drop the exhaust a bit and did a complete circular weld before putting everything back in place since it was such a right squeeze under there.

I paid $70.
      01-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugeinus View Post
They didn't expand the inlet opening I don't believe, but they did drop the exhaust a bit and did a complete circular weld before putting everything back in place since it was such a right squeeze under there.

I paid $70.
Midas wouldn't touch it since my inlets needed to be expanded out of fear of damaging the tips.

After going by one other local performance shop who could not do it, I ended going to Kelly's. BTW, these guys are great! Kevin who is the exhaust guy/welder (the guy in the video on the website) took so much time to make sure it was right and that they didn't damage the tips and that they were "perfectly" alligned. He spent like 20 min just eye-balling them and making tiny adjustments while standing on a ladder while the car was on the lift.

I also spoke to Jay his brother-in-law and co-owner and he was very cool - they are car guys and go to SEMA every year.

Anyway I highly recommended Kelly's to anyone looking for a place to install tips, exhaust etc - they do just about anything. The location is ghetto but these guys are super obsesive.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
also if you do go to Kelly's talk to Michael Leonard, his number is 202.709.2419
Thanks Raja, just saw this, I've been out all day tyring to get these damn things installed. Who knew installing tips would be such a pain the ass.

The problem is I have a 2.5" Benchmade exhaust and tip inlets are like 2.25" so a lot of places do not have the right marchine to open them up.
Appreciate 0