E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Rubbing/Fitment of 255 square setup on 335is

04-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
Jred22
Meat Puppet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 Competition

Garage List
Guys, I recently bought a square set of wheels. 19x9.5 +35, on a lowered (H&R Sport Springs) 07 e92, in the rear I will have 275 tires, what size tire do i need in order to make it work up front?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #24
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
Guys, I recently bought a square set of wheels. 19x9.5 +35, on a lowered (H&R Sport Springs) 07 e92, in the rear I will have 275 tires, what size tire do i need in order to make it work up front?
I do believe a forum member has gotten those to fit with 265/35/18 on the front with -3 degrees of camber. Your safer with a 255/35/18 on the front with a few degrees of camber, perhaps -2 or -1.5
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

FYI, there's a new ARC-8 17 x 9 and 9.5 that are concaved and made for our cars. Here's the thread. The 265 is tested and seems to fit easily with -3 camber.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #26
56nomad56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Tradeoff

I'll be going to Willow Springs on May 9. I won't make any changes to my car's stock suspension, and I plan (as before) to take advantage of the coaches to improve my abilities. I was going to do simple brake upgrades (stainless steel brake lines and Motul fluid), as my brakes would start to fade at the end of the 30-minute runs (I have an E93 335is) on my last outing.

My question: I have the staggered 18" wheels that are stock on the "is". Buying a second set of rear wheels and mounting them on the front would benefit tire rotation front/rear, and I'm assuming would provide better grip and decrease understeer. However, would the additional unsprung weight of the larger wheels/tires negate any improvement?

Thanks in advance for any help. P.S. the car is leased so I won't be doing any further modifications like camber plates or coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56nomad56 View Post
I'll be going to Willow Springs on May 9. I won't make any changes to my car's stock suspension, and I plan (as before) to take advantage of the coaches to improve my abilities. I was going to do simple brake upgrades (stainless steel brake lines and Motul fluid), as my brakes would start to fade at the end of the 30-minute runs (I have an E93 335is) on my last outing.

My question: I have the staggered 18" wheels that are stock on the "is". Buying a second set of rear wheels and mounting them on the front would benefit tire rotation front/rear, and I'm assuming would provide better grip and decrease understeer. However, would the additional unsprung weight of the larger wheels/tires negate any improvement?

Thanks in advance for any help. P.S. the car is leased so I won't be doing any further modifications like camber plates or coilovers.
I didn't weigh the wheel/tire combos on mine, but IMO the front wheel/tire isn't that much lighter than the rear wheel/tire. Therefore, I don't think the weight would negate the improvements. I went with the square setup since last summer. I even took out the alignment pins to get more negative camber in the fronts. All these help, in terms of reducing understeer, but the car can and will still understeer when overdriven. So don't expect the car to become neutral all of the sudden.

One major advantage of going square is, like you've mentioned, the ability to rotate the tires front to rear, and vice versa. When I was still using the staggered setup, the front tires wore out quicker than the rear tires. Now I can rotate them and get more miles out of the entire set of tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56nomad56 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
All that rubber up front won't be beneficial without some negative camber dialed in.
IMO, without the ability to add significant camber up front, all you're going to do is to continue to ride on the outside edge of the block PLUS some sidewall even if you square up. On these BMW front MacPherson strut design, the biggest limiting factor up front is the LACK OF CAMBER, not lack of tire width.

Take it for what it's worth. My MZ4 Coupe is near perfectly neutral with 245F/275R with only a hint of understeer in constant state cornering (meaning on the banked oval at Auto Club Speedway, at the limit of adhesion, adding throttle makes the front end push rather than slide up progressively on the bank).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #29
56nomad56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Thanks

Good to know. Will look into camber plates and ease of install/removal. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0