E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Big brake kit



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #23
mashimarho
BMW Genius
mashimarho's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
10,528
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, michigan

iTrader: (36)

Garage List
+1 to Stoptech from R1 Concepts! Great people and great kit! R1 Concepts has helped me out in many ways!
__________________

My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #24
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,110
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
The perf BBK is not good, it fades. You can read test articles. I researched it and installed 335 brakes. Just wanted to share info.
Correct. I have the performance BBK. They look great and have good pedal feel but the calipers themselves aren't all that great. Even though they say Brembo, they're not really made by the same division that make the BBKs. They're made by the OE division. The pistons crack easily, the seals melt and they don't dissipate heat well thus overheating the fluid. You can get better pistons and seals but at that point you'll be spending almost as much as a proper BBK from Stop Tech, Brembo or AP Racing.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #25
Smooth 330i
Major
Smooth 330i's Avatar
17
Rep
1,057
Posts

 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
The perf BBK is not good, it fades. You can read test articles. I researched it and installed 335 brakes. Just wanted to share info.
Correct. I have the performance BBK. They look great and have good pedal feel but the calipers themselves aren't all that great. Even though they say Brembo, they're not really made by the same division that make the BBKs. They're made by the OE division. The pistons crack easily, the seals melt and they don't dissipate heat well thus overheating the fluid. You can get better pistons and seals but at that point you'll be spending almost as much as a proper BBK from Stop Tech, Brembo or AP Racing.
Thank you for confirming this. How long have you had it and what pads are you using? Track/street or combo usage?
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #26
Yury
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 325i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
The perf BBK is not good, it fades. You can read test articles. I researched it and installed 335 brakes. Just wanted to share info.
It maybe fades on the track, not on the street, at least I have no issue with fading, only warping of front rotors. BMW Perf BBK is not for the track from the beginning.
But it is possible to make it good for the track as well. Retrofit caliper pistons to inox steel instead of aluminum ($500), get better rotors ($700) and pads ($150). Even with the additional cost for the retrofit it would be way cheaper than any aftermarket good quality BBK.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #27
Brettlidsey
Private
United Kingdom
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: BMW e92 330D
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dartford, kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettlidsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92josh View Post
This. I have a 328i and opted for rotors, pads, lines, fluid and I've seen night and day difference.

Granted, I don't have boost and need more power to stop, but it is assuring knowing it's there if I need it. It's mainly a street car, FYI. The cheapest I found all 4 sides of BBK was something like 6800 dollars. Much rather take that into a project car
The cheapest would be BMW Performance BBK, it cost me $2k complete for the front and rear. For the street driving and ocasional track this is the best choice. And after all it's made by BREMBO.
I have purchased the front BMW performance BBK with with 345 discs

They are second hand but I'm told they will fit,

Do you have a e92 330D?

I'm after the rears do you no the part numbers from BMW?

Cheers Brett.
The perf BBK is not good, it fades. You can read test articles. I researched it and installed 335 brakes. Just wanted to share info.
That's great thanks

Think I'm going to sell the performance brakes as it will cost more to achieve what I would like to achieve

Cheers Brett.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:18 AM   #28
Yury
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 325i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettlidsey View Post
That's great thanks

Think I'm going to sell the performance brakes as it will cost more to achieve what I would like to achieve

Cheers Brett.
Buy some used AP's and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #29
Brettlidsey
Private
United Kingdom
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: BMW e92 330D
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dartford, kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettlidsey View Post
That's great thanks

Think I'm going to sell the performance brakes as it will cost more to achieve what I would like to achieve

Cheers Brett.
Buy some used AP's and you'll be fine.
I would love to but can never find any

Cheers Brett.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #30
Yury
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 325i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettlidsey View Post
I would love to but can never find any

Cheers Brett.
Indeed
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #31
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,110
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Thank you for confirming this. How long have you had it and what pads are you using? Track/street or combo usage?
I'm not sure how long they've been on the car but it's been a while. I've had at least 10 track days with them. I'm using DTC 70 front and stock rear. I've tried racing brake rotors, stock rotors, and stop tech power slot rotors. All setups will start to boil the fluid eventually. The racing brake rotors developed surface cracks they just kept getting worse. Now I'm using E46 M3 ZCP rotors with special caliper brackets brackets to make them fit. I have one track day on that and no cracking but it still fades. The pedal travel is super long at the end of the day. Next track day, I'm going to try DTC 70s in the back as well with a larger diameter rotors. As it sits, I'm using the stock rear rotor which is smaller than what the caliper needs.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #32
Yury
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 325i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I'm not sure how long they've been on the car but it's been a while. I've had at least 10 track days with them. I'm using DTC 70 front and stock rear. I've tried racing brake rotors, stock rotors, and stop tech power slot rotors. All setups will start to boil the fluid eventually. The racing brake rotors developed surface cracks they just kept getting worse. Now I'm using E46 M3 ZCP rotors with special caliper brackets brackets to make them fit. I have one track day on that and no cracking but it still fades. The pedal travel is super long at the end of the day. Next track day, I'm going to try DTC 70s in the back as well with a larger diameter rotors. As it sits, I'm using the stock rear rotor which is smaller than what the caliper needs.
Ha, you are using Dieselboost brackets from the Russian dude, I know him
He was promoting this solution to me as well, but caliper did not fit with my 17" rims.
Racing Brake rotors you said were cracking, can you give a model? Was it drilled, slotted (open slot or a closed slot), both? I just ordered a set for myself, it should be better than Performance rotors anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #33
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
54
Rep
3,382
Posts

 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Ha, you are using Dieselboost brackets from the Russian dude, I know him
He was promoting this solution to me as well, but caliper did not fit with my 17" rims.
Does Dieselboost + M3 rotors work inside OEM 18" wheels?
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #34
Yury
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 325i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Does Dieselboost + M3 rotors work inside OEM 18" wheels?
I don't know, FYI we are talking about E46 M3CSL rotors, not E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #35
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
54
Rep
3,382
Posts

 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
yes, the rotors used with dieselboost bracket & 135i brakes
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #36
Patronus86
Banned
3
Rep
269
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
So are there any recommendations for rotors then? I've heard the cross-drilled aren't durable, the slotted a bit more durable but still crack faster than stock and have rust issues (stoptech supposedly has a huge rust issue in bad weather), and the RB rotors (which are supposed to combine the advantages of cross-drilled and slotted) still have cracking issues.

What is the optimal rotor for upgrading braking performance? Staying with stock and just upgrading the pads and fluid?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #37
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,110
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Ha, you are using Dieselboost brackets from the Russian dude, I know him
He was promoting this solution to me as well, but caliper did not fit with my 17" rims.
Racing Brake rotors you said were cracking, can you give a model? Was it drilled, slotted (open slot or a closed slot), both? I just ordered a set for myself, it should be better than Performance rotors anyways.
The racing brake rotor I used was the two piece open slot. The performance rotors are soft but they don't crack. They do wear faster than the RB rotors.

The Dieselboost brackets will fit inside the OE Style 161 17" wheel, but by just a few millimeters. I can confirm that.

The stoptech rotors are horrible in sever weather. Very low temps with snow and salt will kill them. California weather is fine.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #38
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
54
Rep
3,382
Posts

 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
The Dieselboost brackets will fit inside the OE Style 161 17" wheel, but by just a few millimeters. I can confirm that.
Thank you! I can plan accordingly for OEM wheels and my winter's
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #39
SoYank
Major General
SoYank's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
7,504
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettlidsey View Post
I get brake fade on the way to work so I'm sure the OEM brakes won't last more than to minutes at ring
I did 20 laps at Nürburgring in 2009 without brake issues using OEM brakes.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue · Black Leather · Burl Walnut · 6MT · US Spec
SatNav • ZPP • ZCW • 6FL • TPMS • iDrive • PDC • HWS • Xenons • BMW Assist • Power Rear Sunshade • Logic 7
European Taillights • Rear Foglamp • OEM Alarm • PicoTray • DataToys XM-DVR • Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #40
Brettlidsey
Private
United Kingdom
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: BMW e92 330D
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dartford, kent

iTrader: (0)

For everyone's information I stuck with the BMW performance BBK and used ATE super blue brake fluid and pagid RS29 pads, I have just got back from the Nurburgring and I have to say the brakes were spot on! Just as good as my brothers ap racing vxr brakes, no fade, no pedal travel nothing, I managed a BTG time of 8.27 around the ring, I did the DN10 Trackday on the Thursday and was doing 3 laps at a time and the brakes were perfect! Definitely made the right choise, who ever said that performance discs warp is obviously on the brakes far to long as I used the brakes hard around ring and they are still like new! Hope this helps everyone out.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #41
Yury
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 325i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettlidsey View Post
For everyone's information I stuck with the BMW performance BBK and used ATE super blue brake fluid and pagid RS29 pads, I have just got back from the Nurburgring and I have to say the brakes were spot on! Just as good as my brothers ap racing vxr brakes, no fade, no pedal travel nothing, I managed a BTG time of 8.27 around the ring, I did the DN10 Trackday on the Thursday and was doing 3 laps at a time and the brakes were perfect! Definitely made the right choise, who ever said that performance discs warp is obviously on the brakes far to long as I used the brakes hard around ring and they are still like new! Hope this helps everyone out.
Good to hear that everything worked out for you finally.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #42
Seattlesquash
Seattle Car freak
United_States
1
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: E92 328i 2007
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 B7 RS4  [0.00]
2007 E92 328i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet
go to www.realoem.com

great resource and will pretty much answer your question.

with my 328i, 335i brakes bolted(pretty much, minus rear parking brake guts and a little dust shield tweaking) on without any issues.

actually, just took a peek... looks like they use the same brakes.
I suggest the Tisher oem bmw Brembo 338/324 BBK KIT with cross drilled rotors. Add High performance fluid and the ECS red SBL a la Jason and you will once again be safe! And they look good! If you have to do the rears, parking brake mode is cake anyways, so no worry there!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #43
Seattlesquash
Seattle Car freak
United_States
1
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: E92 328i 2007
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 B7 RS4  [0.00]
2007 E92 328i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettlidsey View Post
For everyone's information I stuck with the BMW performance BBK and used ATE super blue brake fluid and pagid RS29 pads, I have just got back from the Nurburgring and I have to say the brakes were spot on! Just as good as my brothers ap racing vxr brakes, no fade, no pedal travel nothing, I managed a BTG time of 8.27 around the ring, I did the DN10 Trackday on the Thursday and was doing 3 laps at a time and the brakes were perfect! Definitely made the right choise, who ever said that performance discs warp is obviously on the brakes far to long as I used the brakes hard around ring and they are still like new! Hope this helps everyone out.
Good to hear that everything worked out for you finally.
Crap, missed this. CONGRATS ON YOUR CHOICE... Surely you like it!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #44
3002 tii
Major General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
8,601
Posts

 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
I'm quite happy with my Stoptech ST40 kit and I'm sure they have something for your model.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST