E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sound issue

02-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Noir79
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Sound issue

2006 325i w/ iDrive
I'm hoping someone can help me with a strange issue I've been having with the sound in my car. I bought the car used about a year ago and after a few months, I started losing all sound in my car. The sound would begin to go out intermittently (a few seconds at a time, then a few hours, then up to a month). Everything is functioning properly but all sound is gone including stereo, warnings, voice control, etc.. Then, after about a month, it would begin to return intermittenty and then function normally for months before the problem would resurface. I had a BMW service center tell me that it sounds like an amp issue but before I dump a bunch of money on diagnostics and possible a new OE amp, I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions as to what the problem could be. I'm aware that it could be any one of numerous problems but maybe someone has had similar issues? Also, if it turns out to be a failing amp, can I replace it with an aftermarket one? The same BMW service center says I need to replace it with a factory one but I find that a little hard to believe. Thanks.

And no, it is not the mute or the volume.
Appreciate 0