E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water Leak Warranty. Help!!

11-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Cozmos
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e36 M3

Water Leak Warranty. Help!!

***cliffs: 2008 335i convertible leaked very badly. Took to dealer 3 times under warranty and they claimed seals were good, there was no real problem, and that they cleaned the seal and the problem was fixed. Took to new dealership (4th time) after leak continued, now not under warranty, seals are bad, amp is ruined, and they want to bill over $5000 to fix. What are my options?

My mother has a 335i convertible. For the past two years she has had considerable problems with the top leaking. Water has been coming in all around the seals, down the windows soaking the interior, as well as through the trunk getting anything in the trunk wet. Living in Oregon where it rains very often, this is a considerable problem. She has taken it in to Rasmussen (now Lithia) BMW in Portland *three* times under warranty specifically for this problem, and each time they have told her there was no problem that they cleaned the seal and that it will be alright. And each time, the next day the top is leaking and just as bad as the day before. A few days ago the speakers in her car started making sporadic static when the radio was off and I suspected it was the amp, and that maybe it had gotten wet. I urged her to take the car to another dealer in town to get it checked out. Turns out the seals are bad, and the amp is now ruined. She is now out of warranty (has the extended warranty) and the fix is not covered, and they are trying to charge her over 3000 for doing new seals, and 1400 for a new amp.
I’m wondering what my options are. I’m thinking the dealer should have caught this while under warranty, especially since the car was taken in THREE times SPECIFICALLY for this problem. Should I contact a BMW rep? etc?

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

You have a repeatable condition not resolved by BMW. If I was your mom I would be checking into lemoning the car. Your case I would be bringing the entire repeatable problem to the BMW service manager and ask what help they can provide.
If that doesn't get you some help I would contact BMWNA and explain the situation and state the problem still exists.
Failing that I would get a lawyer and take them to small claims court to be perfectly honest.
I say this because you got a car they never fixed from day one unless I don't understand what you posted. That repeatable problem unresolved is a problem not a clean the seals and you are good to go solution.
Sounds harsh but most of us have zero issues with our convertibles. Those that do seem to never get the problem resolved. BMW needs to step up to the plate and get these leaks corrected. It will not happen until you play hardball with them and if you go to small claims court and get satisfaction I would get rid of the car...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Problem was never fixed. Identified while under warranty.
BMW owns the whole enchilada, amp and all.
Appreciate 0