E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine Overheating message

03-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Engine Overheating message

Last night I got Engine Overheating message on my iDrive and my car went into Limp mode. I shut off the engine to cool off and restart the car, everything was normal. So I gave few WOT runs and it gave me the same message again. Once I got home I checked Coolant level and I saw little dipstick not sticking outside(it was right below the opening area) like when I first got the car. Is this the reason why I got Engine Overheating message? Oil temp was never above 250.
Is it safe to drive around in town as long as I drive normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

You don't have a low coolant message?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
You don't have a low coolant message?
no, only message I got was the Engine Overheat. Anyways, I added some distilled water today and did couple WOT runs, car seems normal now?? I'm just lost here, should I take her in even though problem seems like its gone? Was it the sudden hot weather(it went from 60 degrees to 89 degress) yesterday caused engine to overheat?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
stamd1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 535xi

I had the exact situation occur a few weeks after buying my 2008 E90 last fall. I called the dealership and the SA told me this was unusual and recommended to have the car towed in order for them to figure out what was wrohg. I called a closer BMW dealership and talked with their SA who told me that my coolant level was probably low and that this was not an uncommon situation. I told the SA that BMW assist was sending out a tow truck. The SA told me that the tow truck operator would be able to check the coolant level and fill it up if low. When the tow truck driver arrived I told him what the SA informed me. The driver laughed and informed me that he had no coolant with him and that he was not even familiar where he should check. We unscrewed the coolant reservior cap and the level was slightly low; low enough so that the green plunger was not hitting the sensor in the cap. I got a ride to Checker; bought some Prestone 50/50 and filled up the coolant reservior with only at most a couple cups of the coolant. I have had no problems since and now have driven over 8000 miles. I suspect that the cap was not screwed on tightly which allowed some coolant to evaporate. The only thing that puzzles me is why the car went into limp mode rather than simply warning me that the coolant level was low.

I recently brought my car in for the turbo lag software fix/update Version 32.2since I have a 10/07 build and during that service visit a faulty engine fan was detected and replaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

Got both messages from mine previous vehicle. Low coolant and engine overheat so the vehicle towed in for service. Dealer fixed it and then I traded it in for the current one now. If you still in warranty, I would definitely have a dealer to take a look at it just for a peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for taking your time to reply to this thread. I also suspected that the cap was loose and leaked a bit so I can see some watermarks around the coolant reservoir. I was thinking the same thing why car didn't give me the low coolant warning before it went into limp mode and gave me Engine overheat, shut off the engine. I have read somewhere on the forum our cars come with 100% coolant from the factory, so I just added some water and problem seems to went away. I mean my 2009 E90 only has 6000 miles, but already low on coolant seems kind of strange to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep

Anyone else having this problem? Seems like it was low on coolant that caused Engine to overheat. Since I haven't take it to dealer, the error message/code should be still stored? Do you think not cleared code will hurt the performance in any kind of ways? I know it shouldn't but wasn't so sure...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamd1 View Post
I had the exact situation occur a few weeks after buying my 2008 E90 last fall. I called the dealership and the SA told me this was unusual and recommended to have the car towed in order for them to figure out what was wrohg. I called a closer BMW dealership and talked with their SA who told me that my coolant level was probably low and that this was not an uncommon situation. I told the SA that BMW assist was sending out a tow truck. The SA told me that the tow truck operator would be able to check the coolant level and fill it up if low. When the tow truck driver arrived I told him what the SA informed me. The driver laughed and informed me that he had no coolant with him and that he was not even familiar where he should check. We unscrewed the coolant reservior cap and the level was slightly low; low enough so that the green plunger was not hitting the sensor in the cap. I got a ride to Checker; bought some Prestone 50/50 and filled up the coolant reservior with only at most a couple cups of the coolant. I have had no problems since and now have driven over 8000 miles. I suspect that the cap was not screwed on tightly which allowed some coolant to evaporate. The only thing that puzzles me is why the car went into limp mode rather than simply warning me that the coolant level was low.

I recently brought my car in for the turbo lag software fix/update Version 32.2since I have a 10/07 build and during that service visit a faulty engine fan was detected and replaced.

mixing that prestone with your OEM coolant is a no no...id get that flushed ASAP. if the coolant level is EVER low just use some water. but yea the overheating issue could be anything from a defective fan, tstat, electric water pump, or even a power issue with the pump. take it into the shop
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
stamd1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
mixing that prestone with your OEM coolant is a no no...id get that flushed ASAP. if the coolant level is EVER low just use some water. but yea the overheating issue could be anything from a defective fan, tstat, electric water pump, or even a power issue with the pump. take it into the shop
I asked the SA what to use. He was not sure so he asked one of the BMW mechanics who told him they use Prestone 50/50. If its good enough for the BMW's at the dealership then its good enough for my car.
Appreciate 0