E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N20 TMAP clarification

07-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4cs 2020

N20 TMAP clarification

Ok. So. Just wanted some clarification .... I understand the N20's TMAP fits the n54.... And I understand that It's not required of you aren't running bigger turbos however ,

I do need some clarification and I hope you guys can help

1. Has anyone ran into any issues running these on stock turbos ? ( I'm currently running Cobb stage 2 aggressive. + FMIC -- Off the shelf map for now )

2. What are the negatives and positives running it on stock turbos ?

3. Is the adapter that burgertuning offers required for it to work properly or do I just get the n20 TMAP and plug and play .

3a if the adapter is needed. Will it conflict with the Cobb tune

I'm throwing p2abc and 3100. Anytime I WOT now. Just replaced all my vacuum lines and plugs.

My next step is to check for any boost leaks. And TMAP sensor

One might ask why not just get the OEM one .. Well I plan to do upgraded turbos in the near future. So thought I'd it needs replacing might as well replace it with something I can use later on.

Thanks for the help all.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
deepocean
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Interesting
• BMS Dual intake system • RB PCV Valve • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg2 map
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbudh001 View Post
Ok. So. Just wanted some clarification .... I understand the N20's TMAP fits the n54.... And I understand that It's not required of you aren't running bigger turbos however ,

I do need some clarification and I hope you guys can help
Not required if your not running more than 20 PSI of boost regardless it it's stocker or upgrades

Quote:
1. Has anyone ran into any issues running these on stock turbos ? ( I'm currently running Cobb stage 2 aggressive. + FMIC -- Off the shelf map for now )
As long as you have the correct MAP settings to support the N20 sensor there is no issue. You cant just install the N20 sensor and go.

Quote:

2. What are the negatives and positives running it on stock turbos ?
There are no negatives other than the dealer saying hmm. The positives is better and more accurate boost control if exceeding more than 20 PSI

Quote:
3. Is the adapter that burgertuning offers required for it to work properly or do I just get the n20 TMAP and plug and play .
The Adapter is required

Quote:
3a if the adapter is needed. Will it conflict with the Cobb tune
No, the settings in the COBB map for the MAP sensor needs to be updated to support the N20 sensor
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I can't even find were to get the sensor. I only see the adapter on bms. And on ecs when I put in 328I it shows me for the n52. When I search tmap I get a bunch of results but they don't specify what motor and I get zero results on ebay.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

You can get the sensor from ECS Tuning
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #6
Turkish Mafia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i (6/2007)

I had these same questions. Thanks OP for asking them, and thank you BuraQ for answering them.

Is there room to go >20 PSI with stock turbos, 93 octane, full FBO (incl inlets/outlets)?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the response all.

I currently dontt have the upgraded turbos. But will be doing them in the future. I do run stage 2 + FMIC aggressive and e30 map every now and then. I Might as well change it with the n20s now.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Mafia View Post
I had these same questions. Thanks OP for asking them, and thank you BuraQ for answering them.

Is there room to go >20 PSI with stock turbos, 93 octane, full FBO (incl inlets/outlets)?

Thank you.
Not a simple question to reply to.........So to summarize, It depends on the setup and fuel quality being used. The more efficient you run the turbos the more boost you can run at lower dutycyle depending on your altitude. More turbo efficiency = staying within the turbo's efficiency range at higher boost levels.

I have ran 21 PSI tapering on 93 octane but I was taking advantage of the colder weather with no outlet.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215148

No two cars are the same. Just because I was able to do it that does not mean it will work on another person's car especially where the fuel is concerned and is not a reality for every N54 car. Here in south Florida we have really good 93 octane fuel.

In general from what I have seen world wide, but not a rule of fact, 17-18 PSI max is ideal for a standard healthy FBO car on 93 octane or equivalent. If you have a CAI setup then you can perhaps push 19-20 tapering depending on the quality of the fuel and how high above sea level you are.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #9
Turkish Mafia
Captain
United_States
Rep

That link is pretty encouraging. Thank you BuraQ.

Recently switched to MHD Stage 2+ from PTF (tuned via Cobb). I am VERY happy. I will be in touch with you in the coming months regarding a custom tune for 93 octane on stock turbos. I may just go ahead upgrade to the N2O sensor for future-proofing and in case we want to go over >20 psi.

Is it necessary or better to upgrade both sensors (intake and near chargepipe) or just the one near the chargepipe? Any advantage to swapping both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Not a simple question to reply to.........So to summarize, It depends on the setup and fuel quality being used. The more efficient you run the turbos the more boost you can run at lower dutycyle depending on your altitude. More turbo efficiency = staying within the turbo's efficiency range at higher boost levels.

I have ran 21 PSI tapering on 93 octane but I was taking advantage of the colder weather with no outlet.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215148

No two cars are the same. Just because I was able to do it that does not mean it will work on another person's car especially where the fuel is concerned and is not a reality for every N54 car. Here in south Florida we have really good 93 octane fuel.

In general from what I have seen world wide, but not a rule of fact, 17-18 PSI max is ideal for a standard healthy FBO car on 93 octane or equivalent. If you have a CAI setup then you can perhaps push 19-20 tapering depending on the quality of the fuel and how high above sea level you are.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Mafia View Post
That link is pretty encouraging. Thank you BuraQ.

Is it necessary or better to upgrade both sensors (intake and near chargepipe) or just the one near the chargepipe? Any advantage to swapping both?
Just the TMAP sensor on the chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #11
Turkish Mafia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just the TMAP sensor on the chargepipe
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:24 AM   #12
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Just putting 2 and 2 together here and correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't help but gather from the posts by Turkish

... BoraQ Do you do custom tunes for cobb? ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #13
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just putting 2 and 2 together here and correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't help but gather from the posts by Turkish

... BuraQ Do you do custom tunes for cobb? ?
Custom tuning via the COBB AP was temporarily discontinued after May of this year due to some changes by COBB as they have pulled their free ATR software.

Within the next week or so I will be onboarding with a local COBB authorized dealer and Protuner in order to continue custom tuning for this platform and others on the COBB side.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #14
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Custom tuning via the COBB AP was temporarily discontinued after May of this year due to some changes by COBB as they have pulled their free ATR software.

Within the next week or so I will be onboarding with a local COBB authorized dealer and Protuner in order to continue custom tuning for this platform and others on the COBB side.

Good to know, you seem pretty knowledgeable man , keep us updated on when you get everything squared away , i've been looking for a custom tuner in miami for a while now

i was actually just reading your page ************* ----

im Throwing a P2ABC code anytime i go WOT pass 4k rpm , TMAP sounds like the plausible cause because i experience throttle closures

what could be some other possibilities at this point, already did
vacuum lines,
checked for boost leaks

will try the TMAP
Appreciate 0