E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Best chargepipe for dual meth nozzles

01-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #1
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Best chargepipe for dual meth nozzles

Like most of you, my chargepipe was one of my first mods. I didn't think I would ever run methanol injection at that point but was talked into getting a single bung just in case. I picked up the ER pipe as I got a good price on it and I didn't find any negative reviews. The only issue I have with it is the way it lines up with my VRSF lower chargepipe and it only has one bung.

I think ideally I would pick up a VRSF pipe with two meth bungs which should fit better with their lower chargepipe. The problem is I cannot find any photos with the nozzle installed or reviews of people that checked their nozzle placement before installing the chargepipe. I also do not know where the nozzles are placed.

I purchased Terry's Phoenix Racing chargepipe and the methanol nozzles sat so far back in the threading I couldn't even see them from inside the pipe. This makes me concerned about poor atomization if the spray hits the threads before entering into the pipe.

After looking at the ER pipe and the placement being right next to each other I would like to look for other options. Also If I bought the ER pipe again I would be running into the same fitment issues.

Name:  ER Dual Meth.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  17.4 KB

My questions...
1. What would you go with?
2. Where are the two meth bungs placed on the VRSF units?
3. Do the methanol nozzles stay recessed in the threading or sit flush with the VRSF pipe?

In an ideal world the methanol nozzles would be 180 degrees apart, sit flush with the inside of the pipe, and have a transition like the picture below.

Name:  CP-E meth bung.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  14.8 KB
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Have you done testing to conclude that the threads were too far inward and hitting the inner thread wall? You can run a simple test with just water.

Anyway, if you want a specific set up with your meth bung nozzles - the "IDEAL" way is staggered (90-120 Degrees) and about 2 inches apart from each other. 180 is ok too.

If you insisted on this type of meth bung placement we can have one made for you through ER. It's a little above and beyond the normal though, thousands and thousand of guys run all the above mentioned charge pipes without a hitch with methanol.

As far as fitment issues, perhaps you need to adjust your lower CP closer or further depending. Mixing and matching brands could potentially cause issues as tolerances can vary.

The VRSF meth bung placement is in their picture:
Appreciate 1
Turbod395.50
      01-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Have you done testing to conclude that the threads were too far inward and hitting the inner thread wall? You can run a simple test with just water.
I have not but in the Phoenix Racing pipe they sit further back than any other pipe I have seen. My tank is full of a 90/10 mix so I would need to drain it and add water to test.

Quote:
Anyway, if you want a specific set up with your meth bung nozzles - the "IDEAL" way is staggered (90-120 Degrees) and about 2 inches apart from each other. 180 is ok too.
To be honest I was thinking the same thing. I felt that 180 could actually allow the mist to build into bigger droplets. I have heard a couple of other reputable people say 180 is the best setup.

Quote:
If you insisted on this type of meth bung placement we can have one made for you through ER. It's a little above and beyond the normal though, thousands and thousand of guys run all the above mentioned charge pipes without a hitch with methanol.
I am not hell bent on the best setup and don't feel I need to have one made specifically for me but I appreciate the option.

Quote:
As far as fitment issues, perhaps you need to adjust your lower CP closer or further depending. Mixing and matching brands could potentially cause issues as tolerances can vary.
I spent over an hour on the intercooler install trying different things with the lower chargepipe and came to the conclusion that there was nothing else I could do. I think the ER pipe is just shaped in a way that it wont line up great with the VRSF lower chargepipe. Here are one photos to show what it looked like right before I buttoned it all up.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  395.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  398.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  374.3 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  395.1 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  338.9 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  391.5 KB
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
I have not but in the Phoenix Racing pipe they sit further back than any other pipe I have seen. My tank is full of a 90/10 mix so I would need to drain it and add water to test.

To be honest I was thinking the same thing. I felt that 180 could actually allow the mist to build into bigger droplets. I have heard a couple of other reputable people say 180 is the best setup.

I am not hell bent on the best setup and don't feel I need to have one made specifically for me but I appreciate the option.

I spent over an hour on the intercooler install trying different things with the lower chargepipe and came to the conclusion that there was nothing else I could do. I think the ER pipe is just shaped in a way that it wont line up great with the VRSF lower chargepipe. Here are one photos to show what it looked like right before I buttoned it all up.

Attachment 1562275

Attachment 1562276

Attachment 1562277

Attachment 1562278

Attachment 1562279

Attachment 1562280
With regards to the tank, drain your tank into a clean bucket - then re-fill with water.

I like 180 but I prefer it staggered, I don't like seeing two nozzles hitting each other. Imagine 2 injectors smashing into each others patterns, that wouldn't be ideal. Now 180 staggered 2-3 inches apart I could see ok, I just have this thing about it going up against gravity on the bottom injector. In the real world it could be trivial (Especially since the air is pressurized from boost), I personally haven't tested it.

That's why I like the 90-120 and staggered, should be as close to as ideal, apart from direct port methanol of course.

Anyway, the custom meth bung option is not that big of a deal, they make pipes daily so it's a simple exchange of notes with them to move the meth bungs.

As far as fitment, this would be the first I've heard of it but if anything I've learned in this industry, anything is possible. Would the ER pipe line up better without bolting it down on the bracket? I personally don't use that bracket.

Let me know if you need any further help with anything.
Appreciate 0