E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Friend got Turbo's replaced under recall but very questionable work....

01-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Friend got Turbo's replaced under recall but very questionable work....

A buddy of mine was FBO running the JB4 G5 ISO, E85, and methanol injection. I have a very good relationship with my BMW dealer (not saying which one) and also my SA. My friend had really bad wastegate rattle and the turbo seals were toast. So I talked to my SA and he said get the downpipes off and put the stock intake on, take the meth tank out of the back and undo the meth lines and hide them. He said the CP-e intercooler was OK and so was the STETT oil cooler was also in the clear, thank God. Oh and also take out the JB4. So we do all that and took it in and it was there for about a week and got approved (thanks to my SA) and my buddy THOUGHT he just got a brand new set of stock turbos.
Well he takes it to get the downpipes back on as well as everything else to get back to being FBO. So the car gets up in the air, the stock cats come off and when they are off you can see the turbos pretty well. The rear turbo looked brand new with new hardware, bolts ect.. while the front turbo DID NOT LOOK NEW and had old hardware, bolts ect.. They also stripped a stud that holds the rear turbo to the head which is completely unacceptable in the first place and he should have been notified and fixed before giving it back to him. So I call my SA and ask what the heck is going on and why is there NEW hardware in the rear and OLD hardware on the front turbo????? He said that thats how it comes from BMW. New hardware for the rear and you use the same hardware for the front.... I also told him about the stud that broke off and he scheduled it to bring it back in...
For some reason this does not make any since to me about why the rear turbo gets NEW hardware yet the old turbo uses THE SAME hardware as the bad turbo that should have came off the car...With the stud being broken off the head and the front turbo being the way that it is makes me really suspicious at if they replaced only the rear turbo and left the front as is.... Does anyone know anything about this by chance and if this is true that is comes with new hardware for rear turbo but you use the same hardware for the front????... Because if they just replaced the rear and not the front there is going to be big issues that NEED to be resolved....
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
MSport35TT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335ix  [1.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786
A buddy of mine was FBO running the JB4 G5 ISO, E85, and methanol injection. I have a very good relationship with my BMW dealer (not saying which one) and also my SA. My friend had really bad wastegate rattle and the turbo seals were toast. So I talked to my SA and he said get the downpipes off and put the stock intake on, take the meth tank out of the back and undo the meth lines and hide them. He said the CP-e intercooler was OK and so was the STETT oil cooler was also in the clear, thank God. Oh and also take out the JB4. So we do all that and took it in and it was there for about a week and got approved (thanks to my SA) and my buddy THOUGHT he just got a brand new set of stock turbos.
Well he takes it to get the downpipes back on as well as everything else to get back to being FBO. So the car gets up in the air, the stock cats come off and when they are off you can see the turbos pretty well. The rear turbo looked brand new with new hardware, bolts ect.. while the front turbo DID NOT LOOK NEW and had old hardware, bolts ect.. They also stripped a stud that holds the rear turbo to the head which is completely unacceptable in the first place and he should have been notified and fixed before giving it back to him. So I call my SA and ask what the heck is going on and why is there NEW hardware in the rear and OLD hardware on the front turbo????? He said that thats how it comes from BMW. New hardware for the rear and you use the same hardware for the front.... I also told him about the stud that broke off and he scheduled it to bring it back in...
For some reason this does not make any since to me about why the rear turbo gets NEW hardware yet the old turbo uses THE SAME hardware as the bad turbo that should have came off the car...With the stud being broken off the head and the front turbo being the way that it is makes me really suspicious at if they replaced only the rear turbo and left the front as is.... Does anyone know anything about this by chance and if this is true that is comes with new hardware for rear turbo but you use the same hardware for the front????... Because if they just replaced the rear and not the front there is going to be big issues that NEED to be resolved....
Your "friend" Hun... You seem pretty passionate about this not being your car... That does suck though. Is the rattle gone?

TMPS Sensor 09+ For Sale
x1 Seat Belt For Sale
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

I don't see how you are complaining. You wouldn't have been under warranty anyways with your mods. Oh sorry, your "friend."
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Deja vu

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789501
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Word!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

I've replaced a number of N54 turbos under warranty, and I can say that the 2 new (re-man, actually) turbos should look just about identical in appearance.

As far as "hardware" are you talking about the copper exhaust nuts that hold the turbos to the head? I always replace all of those nuts, as well as the studs if any pull out during removal (and they almost always do). I always replace the 2 V-band clamps that hold the downpipes to the turbos Other than that, most of the other nuts and bolts get re-used.

Should be pretty obvious if only 1 turbo was replaced. Based on the broken stud you found, though, I'm not all that surprised. Dealerships can have some very good Techs, but can also have some very bad ones. In the 10 years I've been a BMW Tech, I've seen a lot of the latter. Pisses off those of us who care and put out quality work.
      01-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
I don't see how you are complaining. You wouldn't have been under warranty anyways with your mods. Oh sorry, your "friend."
F.U. and the high horse you rode in on. I don't care if the car was modded unless you can causally link a failure to the mods. Don't lend credulity to BMW NA's bullshit excuses to avoid doing warranty work if at all possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Lol u just copied my thread....
And the dude that owns the car said you had nothing to do with the turbo replacement..
And it kinda sounds like you put the car back to stock lol...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

there's a turbo recall?

an actual recall? ie all cars no matter the warranty status are getting turbos replaced?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

No sammy you put the car back to stock if you would like all the credit Keith just told me to post something asking this to see what everybody has to say about it. But no I didnt get my hands dirty like you did buddy! I just hooked him up with the right SA that will overlook that the car had been heavily modded. So I sort of feel its my responsibility to get it taken care of for him and thats why when they have it up in the air, I want to look at it, as well as one of my buddies thats a tech there, and probably you there too. You know he doesnt like posting stuff on e90post really and I dont even think he has an account but asked me to do this when he was over at my store yesterday. ALL CREDIT GOES TO YOU SAMMY FOR TAKING THE CAR APART AND HOPEFULLY, ONCE EVERYTHING IS SQUARED AWAY, YOU ARE GOING TO PUT THE CAR BACK TOGETHER. The only thing that I did was hook him up with the SA that can make anything slide so dont get to upset and sorry if this was a re-post....forget your on top of it and handling everything even with the dealership right?....I DIDNT THINK SO....

Sammy and by the way there is a guy that always comes up to my store and asks about the walnut shell blasting but didnt know what you schedule looked like but told him you could do it and you charge $300 for it. He is ready anytime besides Monday-Thursday....FYI
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

and yes his rattle is gone as far as I know...Just kind of weird how the rear turbo looks new and the front one looks old... Granted he did put about 400-500 miles on the car before he was going to let SAMMY put everything back together. When he took it over there for him to get started working on it, this is what got discovered..Hopefully they dont warp the head trying to get that stud out otherwise there going to have to replace it for their screw ups...I really cant believe that THIS DEALERSHIP in particular would do such poor quality work..Kind of disappointing if you ask me but lets see what happens....
Appreciate 0