E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oh boy this is bad...

01-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
thesneakysnake
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Sedan

Oh boy this is bad...

Hey Guys. I'm in a bad spot. I have a 09 335i and took it to the shop because I heard a slight "pop" and started bellowing out white smoke.

My indy said it was a turbo and had a replacement one (he's also a 335i guy) and we swapped it over today. After everything was back up it we went to crank it up and it was still bellowing smoke.

We received a number 6 cyl misfire code and pulled the plug, it was black and wet. We couldn't distinguish between oil or gas but we think it's oil.

It has 30psi of compression, the other cylinders show ~120.

We tried different coils and different plugs (before compression test. The valve cover hose on my inlets is bellowing out smoke. It initially was coming out of the inlet filter until we took the end off.

We're putting a borescope on the car monday to see if there is any scarring on the piston but other than that I don't know how to determine if it's a head gasket, valve seal or a piston ring. The top of the piston is black.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

It is probably not the rings. A bad ring would produce lots of smoke on full throttle, but be less bad at idle.

It can be difficult tell if the smoke is very white or is mostly white but slightly blue due to oil. Any smell associated with the smoke? The smell of antifreeze can sometimes be found when you have a blown head gasket.

Based on the sound, the loss of compression, oil in the cylinder, and combustion gases under the valve cover I'm thinking you have a valve related issue and not a ring problem. I would rerun the compression check just to be sure, check the cooling system for signs of oil and then maybe pull the valve cover. Pulling the valve cover on the n54 is much more of a pain than a v8, so I hesitate a little on this last one.

If a valve issue, the cooling system will not show any oil contamination. If a head gasket, you will start to see brown contamination in the coolant.
      01-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
thesneakysnake
Rep

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately we put a scope into the cylinder and the piston is split right in half. For a car with only 58k that's insane.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #4
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

I would have never have guessed that you cracked a piston.
      01-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
mastarron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive M Sport e92

I had a cylinder 5 missfire at 49k miles on my 2011 328xi while doing about 75mph. I too heard a loud pop, but my car threw a LOT of smoke, and the car pretty much shutdown. When I got out the car, all of the oil had leaked. Took it to BMW and they told me it was a missfire, never found out the exact reason why, but I got the engine replaced since it was under factory warranty(I also have platinum, but it had not kicked in yet)

Are you under warranty?

If not, do NOT drive it, you can ruin your whole engine. Im not sure if you can replace a single piston, but if you can, do it because list price for one of our engines new is $10k+
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
thesneakysnake
Rep

So.. the engine wasn't under warranty... I went with a lower mileage 41k engine and swapped everything over. It's still very weird to me that it would happen under cruise.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Sweet jesus.
      02-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesneakysnake View Post
So.. the engine wasn't under warranty... I went with a lower mileage 41k engine and swapped everything over. It's still very weird to me that it would happen under cruise.
What tune are you running?
Appreciate 0