E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Gasoline smell in engine bay

01-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Gasoline smell in engine bay

I only get this while the car is cold. i JUST had my injector seals replaced today, and one injector replaced under recall. new HPFP too. is it normal to have a gasoline odor in the engine bay?

if i have a leaky injector, they would have saw it when changing the seals. can't be the hpfp obviously.

i had the same smell before the recall work was done.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
I only get this while the car is cold. i JUST had my injector seals replaced today, and one injector replaced under recall. new HPFP too. is it normal to have a gasoline odor in the engine bay?

if i have a leaky injector, they would have saw it when changing the seals. can't be the hpfp obviously.

not normal. if the smell is intense, i'd have my car towed to the dealership. Otherwise, I'd make a B-line to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
joehoang
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

I had this problem about a couple months ago. Fumes went through the cabin no matter if I turned off the AC and closed vents. Luckily I was close to a dealer. It came out to be a leaky fuel line. Bring it in and get it fixed. They will fix it pretty quick because it's not safe(tell them you almost passed out while driving). I receive mine back the very next morning.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bring it in ASAP...there should be no smell of gasolne in the engine bay...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Oh dear... Now i don't know if I should bring it to an Indy or the dealer. I have no warranty. Dealer might charge me out the ass
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Fairly common problem with the injector seals. I had this issue as well and it's an easy fix if this is what it is - just needs to be tightened properly. I'd bring it to a knowledgeable, trust-worth indy if you have one, but DON'T drive it like that - it's VERY dangerous as you could have super high pressure fuel being sprayed into that hot engine bay!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
skeptic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Titanium Sedan

Quote:

I had my car towed after I went to get an emissions inspection in Virginia. The guy doing the inspection told me I had a "major fuel leak". Earlier in the day I had my car into the BMW dealership to get any maintenance items taken care of before my warranty expired. One of the things they did was to flush the brakes. Why they didn't discover the fuel leak is beyond me.

I had several fuel lines replaced which were faulty.

With all the fuel system problems BMW has with these cars, I would do all I could to force them to fix this problem for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

was it smelling before the previous work?

if they were removing injectors and such its quite possible....in fact almost guaranteed that they spilled gasoline when removing the fuel rail.

is say give it a day, maybe wash your engine bay and then recheck.
      01-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Why dont you have a warranty?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

The only time I had gasoline smell from the engine bay was when I had a corrupt tune firmware and it kept on cranking. Went away real quick.

I'd take it back to the dealer, its very feasible that the smell is related to the repair work that was necessary.
      01-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Perfectus
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i/F10 528XI

That's horrible! You should complain to the manager of the dealership for sending you out with a major fuel leak. Was it BMW Fairfax? They're beyond horrible IMO.
Injen DCI w/ Cyba Scoop - M-Tech Rear - ///M3 Rear Lip Spoiler - ///M5 SMG Shift Knob & iDrive Knob - BMW Performance Hand Brake - BMWCCA Member
Appreciate 0