E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Laser eye surgery

07-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Laser eye surgery

Just come back from a check up and thought anybody contemplating laser treatment might be interested.

I started wearing specs at 11 and wore contacts for many years (too vain to wear specs in teens onwards)

Looked at laser treatment for several years but put it off until 2 years ago then took the plunge.

Very short sighted (-5.5 & -6.0) and after much research, chose Ultralase as local centre seemed to have more up to date equipment than the others.

Had free consultation which was the most detailed eye examination I've ever had and worth doing even if you don't take it further. Was impressed that even though I had decided to go ahead, I was told to go home and sleep on it first - so no sales pressure at all!

Treatment for both eyes took 1 1/2 hours (about 20 minutes actual surgery) and was uncomfortable but OK and I could see albeit through a "haze" immediately. I did find the couple of hours after treatment hurt like severe conjunctivitis, although I am a wimp Check up following morning was 20/20

They over correct your eyes at treatment and occasionally it doesn't "go back" far enough which in my case left me very fractionally long sighted so I had re treatment after 6 months to correct.

My eyes are now 2 lines better than 20/20 and only real side effects are occasional dry eyes which are cured with drops.

Was very expensive at £3700 (I chose a specific treatment from several choices), but the costs unlike others are up front and not false like some of those who advertise £375 per eye and then add all the extras.
They wouldn't negotiate a discount for cash but did give me 3 years interest free with no payment during 1st year.

Ultralase, (I have absolutely no connection with them and am sure the others are just as good), have given me a lifetime care guarantee and my check up was just for my peace of mind after my last visit 12 months ago.

Anyone with poor eyesight will understand how life changing it can be and I really noticed the difference on the long flights to RSA last year and now our trip down under in a few months time doesn't fill me with the dread it used to!

Wish I'd done it years ago.

Anyone who is interested in more info just post or pm me
      07-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Not looked into it but really should do, i'm -8.0 and - 7.5.

Glad to hear all went well!
      07-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
lons
Lons
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post

Gets more difficult apparently the higher the prescription is but depends on the state of your eyes and thickness of corneas as well asother considerations.
They won't do it unless all is well but you should book a consultation (can do so with several of them if you wish), just to give you the peace of mind of a thorough eye health check FOC. - you only get one pair of eyes!

If you want to research there's a good link on the ultralase website to a general forum which covers any treatment company and gives the good the bad and the ugly about treatment.

I used to suffer with lenses in the office and late nights were a swine. I then started to work in dusty conditions which caused a few infections. Havan't had an eye problem since treatment.
      07-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Had mine done 8 years ago at Optimax. I was only -1.75 on each side, but couldn't get on with contacts. I opted for the non-surgical procedure (laser directly onto the eye front), which was cheaper and more predictable - the downside was the discomfort. I had a 3 month gap between each eye so that healing could be monitored. Not even sure they use this method any more.

Think I paid £550 per eye - it was worth every penny.
      07-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
That will explain why you find fat birds attractive Will
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Gotta love your bargaining for cash payment!!
      07-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Steve748
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Corvette & Jeep Commander

thread on PH about it http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...%20experiences
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lons View Post
I used to suffer with lenses in the office and late nights were a swine. I then started to work in dusty conditions which caused a few infections. Havan't had an eye problem since treatment.
Having never had to wear glasses or contact lenses and in my ignorance, never really thought about what people have to endure as you described above. I used to sit with a bloke at work who'd mess about with his contacts and it used to make me squirm the fact he was touching his eyes but obviously he had to wear them.

Pleased you're all sorted and it's true - shouldn't take your eyes for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
That will explain why you find fat birds attractive Will
That made my eyes water.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I have been contemplating laser eye surgery for the past couple of years now but have been to much of a wimp to actually do anything about it

I am short sighted at -3.0 per eye and wear daily disposable contacts. Just tried the ones that you can wear day & night for a 'month' but after 2 weeks they had to come out so actually work out more expensive than the dailies - if they lasted a month they would have been cheaper.

I always wondered about these £400 per eye offers, if they were legit or not, or if you got shafted by all the extra's that were in fact not extras but necessaries!!

Thanks for the write up, it has actually given me a bit more incentive to re-visit the idea again and do a bit more research.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

damn!!!.....and i though my one was bad! i'm -5.75 and -6.50...

looked into eye laser correction, boots optician does it aswell...

i'm too scared to try it though...

To the OP, have you got 100% corrected vision now? or do you still need glasses for night driving?

I'm spending a fortune on daily disposable contact lense atm...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post

To the OP, have you got 100% corrected vision now? or do you still need glasses for night driving?

Normal sighted people are able to see the flag planted by Neil Armstrong on the moon whilst wearing my glasses.
      07-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
well, vision express said it would cost £250 to get my spec lenses really thin!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
lons
Lons
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post

I wore contacts for 30+ years (not the same ones ) and started gas permeables through soft and disposables and they are excellent and indeed the only options for some people but the disadvantages are:-

Horrible in dry and or dusty conditions
Prevent oxygen getting to the eyes to a greater or lesser degree
Direct cause of redness (small veins) growth on the eyes
Possible infections if not handled properly - possibly permanent damage?
Expensive over a period of time
Take time to insert / remove (I recon I save 30 minutes a day at least)
Can't see a bloody thing when you wake up if you take them out at night (inconveneient if you can't remember where you're waking up )

I don't wear glasses at all except sun glasses when very sunny and these are of course non prescription. I should wear reading glasses now for very close work - age related.

Night vision and driving are no problem.

Note:- there are several types of treatment - mine was lasik with intralase and was the most expensive treatment.
i.e.
They cut a circular flap on the surface of the cornea and fold it back then zap the exposed surface of the with a computerised laser. Number of very short zaps depends on your precription.

The flap is replaced and no lens is placed on top.

The flap traditionally is cut mechanically but I opted for the intralase method which involves a different laser which passes a circle of light creating bubbles and a perfect circle, thinner flap and almost a dovetail fit. Much more precise!
Downside can be dryer eyes and increased light sensetivity,usually short term as in my case.

I was quoted £2900 for treatment by Optimax and similar by Optical Express, neither who could offer the intralase at that time.

Technology changes all the time and you have to do the research as it's a hell of a decision.

I'd add that a pair of thin lens specs + prescription sungasses neither of which I wore regularly cost me £480 apart from the cost of lenses.
      07-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
lons
Lons
England
Rep

Just seen this add so Optimax have obviously upgraded

http://www.optimax.co.uk/Default.asp...googleppccomp2

and here's a forum

http://www.lasereyeforum.com/
      07-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
I got it done a couple of years ago (lasik with wavefront) and it has been a great success. I was not too bad at -1.5 per eye.

A friend also got it done recently but got an infection in one of her eyes afterwards, making her vision go all milky. She now has to wear glasses and has had her eye permanently damaged.

After this happened, I would never get it done again.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
lons
Lons
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
I got it done a couple of years ago (lasik with wavefront) and it has been a great success. I was not too bad at -1.5 per eye.

A friend also got it done recently but got an infection in one of her eyes afterwards, making her vision go all milky. She now has to wear glasses and has had her eye permanently damaged.

After this happened, I would never get it done again.
Shit, that's pretty scary. It would be interesting to know who did the surgery and what procedure she had.

Any procedure carries some kind of risk and should be carefully considered.

I think it's unusual, although I was given strict instructions not to rub my eyes, get water into them (no swimming / eyepads when showering and sleeping) for the first couple of weeks and strict compliance with the anti-biotic and ant-inflamatory drops. So obviously an issue.

You can get similar infections from wearing contacts though - especially soft lenses.

I'd do it again tomorrow if I had to. The results for me were amazing.
      07-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
I had mine done at Optimax at Bluewater (yes a shopping centre!!!!) Last February.....

I nearly bottled it 15 mins before the procedure, but then half hour later it was all over, in the car being driven home and a few days later my vision was incredible.

Only thing that was poor to begin with was 'halo' effect in dark rooms with bright lights, or night driving. This they said takes 3-6 months to clear, in reality it too 9-12 months for mine... but now it's like I've never worn specs.

I would never tell anyone to go get it done personally, it's such a huge decision, it can only be made my the individual. Yep, worked for me......... but it's up to you.......

Oh, my eye sight was -5.75 & -6.25. It cost £3400, but said to the surgeon (not the sales staff) which ever is best for my eyes, I'll have done. So it was full LASIK, with Wavefront and the laser made the flap on the front of my eye (can't remember the name of it)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
lons
Lons
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I had mine done at Optimax at Bluewater (yes a shopping centre!!!!) Last February.....

I would never tell anyone to go get it done personally, it's such a huge decision, it can only be made my the individual. Yep, worked for me......... but it's up to you.......

Oh, my eye sight was -5.75 & -6.25. It cost £3400, but said to the surgeon (not the sales staff) which ever is best for my eyes, I'll have done. So it was full LASIK, with Wavefront and the laser made the flap on the front of my eye (can't remember the name of it)
Absolutely spot on - individual decision and I was in 2 minds at the death as well.

Same treatment as mine ( the initial procedure for the flap is intralase if I remember ) - white lights instead of the red laser.

Similar prescription and results - mines been done a year longer
      07-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #19
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
# your so vain you probably think this thread is about you -

a friend of mine had it done and for a month lost vision in one eye _completely_ Went back in and they re-lasered him and it returned sight and thankfully his eyes are 20:20 now.

I'm lucky in that I'm +5 +5 and they can't do anything with those so don't have to chicken out of making the decision After seeing my mate with an eye patch on I can't say that I'd have the cahonies to go through with it!

Also concerns me what the long term prognosis will be - will it really last or are you going to damage your eyes?

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
webby318dEMS
Spider powered!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318d Edition M Sport saloon

Had mine done October 2007 at Bluewater same as Biscuits, same treatment too, costing just over £3000. Worth every penny as my vision is spot on now and has been since having the op done. Was a bit uncomfortable to begin with, and felt a wally wearing the lovely goggles at night but it was all worth it!
It's a tough decision to make as your eyes are the most precious thing you own, but if you've got the bottle you won't regret it!
      07-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #21
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

keep thinking of doing mine as well but who to go with,

ultralase cost more but now offer lifetime service if further changes are needed.

optimax are down to under £2k for both eyes

all bit scary but as all say a good idea
      07-30-2009, 03:03 AM   #22
lons
Lons
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
keep thinking of doing mine as well but who to go with,

ultralase cost more but now offer lifetime service if further changes are needed.

optimax are down to under £2k for both eyes

all bit scary but as all say a good idea
things have changed a bit since I had mine done 2 years ago. A number of them seem to be offering lifetime care now and I guess they probably offer the same lasers as well but I'd suggest you do the research on that first.

I assume you've already had at least one initial consultation. If not then you should do that anyway as it's very thorough and will determine whether you're suitable for treatment. It's free so you can try several companies which will focus your mind.

As an aside, I had a slightly irritated eye for a few days recently (I thought I'd scratched it when I rubbed my eyes) and Ultralase saw me immediately and checked out my eyes thoroughly. Great peace of mind to be able to do that and worth evey penny I paid for my treatment.

There are a number of forums on the net, just do a google.