E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Upgraded Twins w/ MT

05-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #23
Iceberg3232
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
Either use more rpm on the 2-step and/or retard the timing at the rpm and load you're launching at. It also helps to reduce your exhaust backpressure if possible but I assume you've already done that as much as you are willing to. Retarded timing is where the magic is, though.
Let me see if that's even a possibility...

Attached are logs of both 4K and 5K. 5,500 yielded the same result and I'm not very comfortable dropping in at 6K in 1st lolol.

Any advice as to a good timing range to shoot for off the line? I'm targetting 15 degrees once I get going...

http://datazap.me/u/iceberg3232/launch-logs
335 XI Coupe/ RB Turbos/ JB4 w/ Wedge Backend / Meth / Inline LPFP / E85 / UUC SSK / Spec2+ SMFW / HPF 7'' IC / Forged DV's / AR DP's / BMS DCI / Apex Arc-8 /Hankook Ventus V12 EVO / KWV1 / HPF Exhaust/ NGK/
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #24
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

I can't tell what load you're generating but you might be able to figure it out from your timing and rpm. But yeah...if you could pull that 20ish degrees you're currently at at 5000rpm and 3-5 psi down a bit it would make more boost and then if you pulled even more timing at that resulting load it would make even more, etc.. The problem is that it would interfere with normal running a bit. What you really want is for the piggy or whatever is giving you the 2-step to also detect when the 2-step is active and pull timing for you.

What you probably want while the 2-step is active is somewhere between 0-5 degrees of total timing. You will make lots of boost at that point.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
Iceberg3232
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris
I can't tell what load you're generating but you might be able to figure it out from your timing and rpm. But yeah...if you could pull that 20ish degrees you're currently at at 5000rpm and 3-5 psi down a bit it would make more boost and then if you pulled even more timing at that resulting load it would make even more, etc.. The problem is that it would interfere with normal running a bit. What you really want is for the piggy or whatever is giving you the 2-step to also detect when the 2-step is active and pull timing for you.

What you probably want while the 2-step is active is somewhere between 0-5 degrees of total timing. You will make lots of boost at that point.
Sincerely appreciate the advice. Let me see what we can do!
335 XI Coupe/ RB Turbos/ JB4 w/ Wedge Backend / Meth / Inline LPFP / E85 / UUC SSK / Spec2+ SMFW / HPF 7'' IC / Forged DV's / AR DP's / BMS DCI / Apex Arc-8 /Hankook Ventus V12 EVO / KWV1 / HPF Exhaust/ NGK/
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #26
Iceberg3232
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris

Since I'm using the JB4's logic to control the two-step, and since There exists no logic that would limit ignition advance upon two-step activation, I'm pretty much stuck. I brought the issue to Terry's attention, and since I'm one of very few users having this type of an aggressive set up with this issue, he really doesn't have the time to focus on something like this. I could go about trying to have Wedge code into the backend flash, for example, at 5000 RPM change the load to 110 to limit advance and increase boost but, this would have to be a race only application since anything other than wide-open throttle the entire time may cause some serious issues daily driving.

I'm wondering if I'd have any better luck with a WOT box or am faced with this same issue forever....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #27
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

I don't know. I tried to get Cobb to write the code but they didn't get motivated since the number of people who want it and need it are low, and in fairness it is complex due to the factory rev limiter cutting throttle instead of spark/fuel. I think the compromise I will make is a WOTBOX with my Cobb and put up with a "hole" in the timing map that I might notice on occasion in normal driving but probably not that often.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #28
Iceberg3232
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
I don't know. I tried to get Cobb to write the code but they didn't get motivated since the number of people who want it and need it are low, and in fairness it is complex due to the factory rev limiter cutting throttle instead of spark/fuel. I think the compromise I will make is a WOTBOX with my Cobb and put up with a "hole" in the timing map that I might notice on occasion in normal driving but probably not that often.
Time for a WOT box on my end also sounds like...keep in touch with your findings Carl. I'm gonna PM you my cell.
Appreciate 0