E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Cadillac CTS?

07-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Cadillac CTS?

My mother-in-law is thinking about getting a new Cadillac CTS to replace her aging Seville. Anyone have any experience with the CTS - comfort, handling, reliability, etc?

She'd be getting the AWD. Ride comfort is more important to her than performance. With that in mind, is there any reason to prefer the Direct Injection V6 over the base V6?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Direct Injection for sure. For the money these are good cars from all the reviews I have read.

5K off MSRP here w/o even working the salesman over.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

I would not recommend buying one brand new, the depreciation hit she will take buying GM is enough to make someone throw up. I suggest you point her to one with a small amount of miles on it. With that being said they are pretty good cars but they do not age well at all, dials and buttons will lose gloss and the color will wear off, leather isn't very good and bolsters crack and wear even after a short amount of time and in the long run they still run but end up being a 5 year old car that's worth about $13,000 when new they were over $40k.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
I would not recommend buying one brand new, the depreciation hit she will take buying GM is enough to make someone throw up. I suggest you point her to one with a small amount of miles on it. With that being said they are pretty good cars but they do not age well at all, dials and buttons will lose gloss and the color will wear off, leather isn't very good and bolsters crack and wear even after a short amount of time and in the long run they still run but end up being a 5 year old car that's worth about $13,000 when new they were over $40k.
Seeing how the new CTS isn't even 5 years old yet, I can't see how you can say that about the CTS......

I would go for a new over used considering she is replacing an old Seville which if she keeps the CTS for the same amount of time, resale would be crap anyway. And getting a new one would mean having the bugs that some of the '08 MY( the first model year for the new CTS) had are fixed. And definitely go with the DI 3.6 as you get power without much of a fuel economy hit.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Seeing how the new CTS isn't even 5 years old yet, I can't see how you can say that about the CTS......
Caddy has been that was forever... I've been in new escalades, CTS, Vettes etc. Even after a short period of time they start to wear a good amount.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Understand the point about the depreciation, but that isn't that much of a factor, as she keeps cars for a long time. Her Seville is ~ 9 years old now. Further, she has some GM points from a credit card that she wants to cash in, so she's really fixated on going for another GM car. After looking around, the CTS is just about the only truly world-class car GM makes nowadays, other than the Corvette and the G8 GT. (No, she's not interested in those. Yes, I asked!)

I suggested that she check out a Lexus ES 350, which she agreed she would consider, but I think she wants another Caddy. (I also suggested a BMW 3-series, too, but she wants a sedan that's a little bigger than that, and it's probably too sporty to be her cup of tea anyway.)

I actually drove her Seville today, and the interior has held up pretty well so far. (Of course, she only has 50,000 miles on the thing.) It's hardly a sport sedan, but it sure was smooth over the Pennsylvania potholes....

Thanks for the feedback, guys, any more suggestions are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Drove a CTS around for a week during vacation last year. Nice car and had decent power with the base V6 but would obviously be better with the DI engine. It had a ton of room in the front and back seats and an enormous trunk. I thought it handle decently and had a nice compliant ride.
Appreciate 0