E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help me decide please!

10-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
ctch22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Help me decide please!

Hello all,

As some of you may remember, my car was stolen a couple of months ago.

Anyway, insurance has paid out a reasonable settlement and I am now in a position to buy another car.

Ive seen a 1 series which i quite like, however I have become v paranoid about having another bmw stolen (especially knowing that ill be staying in birmingham for atleast another 2 years). So i am also keeping the new shape vW golf in mind.

Ofcourse if I do go down the bmw route, I will be taking appropriate measures (disklok, obd port relocation, etc).

Since i posted about my bmw being stolen, ive seen a few others on e90post and baby bmw who have reported their car stolen. None of them however, mention whether they had relocated their obd port and whether they had put on a disklok.

So ideally, what I'd like to know is whether anyone has had their bmw stolen even after relocating the obd port and using a disklok?

Also, can i not simply just snip off the obd port? If the alarms dont seem to be going off, then surely thieves can spend as much time as they like to search for the relocated obd port.

Am i just being too paranoid? Any advise / reassurance would be great.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Get M135i u will still have ensurence + GPS locator and you will be fine
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
swhoyle
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D

Ive tested just about every 2.0 litre Diesel car on the market recently because my back just cannot tolerate the shape of the seats in my 320D

What I have found is that the Golf / A3 / Volvo C30 / Ford Mondeo / Focus etc engines all suffer the same shortfall.... a Wallop of torque and then a big old flat spot.

Most of these cars I have found are great until you really want to move, in the BMW the engine pulls strongly across most of the rev range, where as (especially the volvo) you hit the throttle, get a boat load of torque (leading to the inevitable torque steer) and then nothing till you change up and repeat the process.

I really need to get rid of this BMW because its killing me, but I cant find anything that drives and pulls like it does

I suppose what Im saying is, stick with the BMW, the golf will feel 2nd rate.... in my humble opinion..... which may not be shared by others
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhoyle View Post
Ive tested just about every 2.0 litre Diesel car on the market recently because my back just cannot tolerate the shape of the seats in my 320D

What I have found is that the Golf / A3 / Volvo C30 / Ford Mondeo / Focus etc engines all suffer the same shortfall.... a Wallop of torque and then a big old flat spot.

Most of these cars I have found are great until you really want to move, in the BMW the engine pulls strongly across most of the rev range, where as (especially the volvo) you hit the throttle, get a boat load of torque (leading to the inevitable torque steer) and then nothing till you change up and repeat the process.

I really need to get rid of this BMW because its killing me, but I cant find anything that drives and pulls like it does

I suppose what Im saying is, stick with the BMW, the golf will feel 2nd rate.... in my humble opinion..... which may not be shared by others
Remap!
      10-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
swhoyle
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Remap!
Which car ???

I need to find something that doesnt make me wince in pain when I drive it haha
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Any that you find comfortable, most modern diesels respond really well to a remap, torque curve evened out and a little more grunt too.
      10-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
ctch22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhoyle View Post
This is what i think too, test drove a few diesels and was genuinely surprised how smooth the drive was, before this i had always held the view that diesels would not be as smooth as my quiet petrol.

I just hope doing the security measures will mean only i can enjoy the drive rather than the thieves
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
ctch22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Get M135i u will still have ensurence + GPS locator and you will be fine
wouldn't that be ideal alas insurance would be too high, if not impossible to get
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
rawbhp
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M Sport

Can't you just replace the seats in your BMW? Some decent leather Recaros should be more supportive and some have removable padding.

I had a disclock on my old Mazda RX7. Didn't stop it being stolen. When it was recovered the lock had simply been levered off, bending the steering wheel in the process. Didn't stop them taking it though!
Appreciate 0