E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Factory alarm question: Can we securely lock in passengers?

12-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Factory alarm question: Can we securely lock in passengers?

Have you ever travelled with a female friend who has the false sense of security she is much safer when you leave her in the vehicle with the doors locked?

My 330i will have comfort access with the factory alarm. If I am about to leave the vehicle with my passenger in it, and she says, "don't forget to lock the doors," how do I do so without having the alarm go off when she moves about inside the vehicle?

If she has a key fob, can't she just lock herself in?

p.s. My side comment is that if they want to car jack the car, they'll just break the window.
      12-31-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
325iA
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Hi,

I don't have CA, but can't you lock the car with the lock-button on the dashboard? I think the alarm is not set if you lock it this way. If I lock my E90 with the fob and press the lock-button twice within 10 seconds (the red clownnose will lit for 2 seconds) the alarm will not respond on movements in the car, it will only go off if a door or window is forced (see the manual). Hope this may help you.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
Jimifighter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Have you thought about putting her in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I guess I'll have to wait till I get my car. It's scheduled to arrive in Port Hueneme on Jan. 6.

When I lived in the MidWest, none of my passengers were really concerned about unlocked doors. I guess our little Southern California reputation for carjacking, albeit infrequent, leads to cause for concern.
      01-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do not lock her in the car, she will NOT be able to get out. Locking the car disables all internal opening methods, its very dangerous.

She should just be able to press the lock button inside and it will lock the doors and she will still be able to get out if she has to.

This does bring up a interesting question with CA
with normal cars you can press the lock button twice, holding it in the second time, and the internal sensors will be disabled.

People with CA, does you manual say how to do this with CA ???
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Do not lock her in the car, she will NOT be able to get out. Locking the car disables all internal opening methods, its very dangerous.

She should just be able to press the lock button inside and it will lock the doors and she will still be able to get out if she has to.

This does bring up a interesting question with CA
with normal cars you can press the lock button twice, holding it in the second time, and the internal sensors will be disabled.

People with CA, does you manual say how to do this with CA ???
Interesting. What if a passenger were to lock him/herself in the car? What if that passenger also had a key fob? It won't let the passenger lock the doors if inside?
      01-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I believe with CA you perform the same process, just in a slightly different manner - you touch the handle twice. This disables the motion detector and level indicator.

I could be wrong, but I don't think locking the doors from inside using the master lock/unlock button will turn the alarm on. In that case you would still be able to unlock the vehicle if you have your key - and she could lock/unlock it from inside.

She seems a little paranoid, or you don't take your female friends to very nice places....

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
She seems a little paranoid, or you don't take your female friends to very nice places....
Well, we had a saying in Kansas. If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Here in California, to get from point A to point B, you occasionally have to drive through not-so-nice neighborhoods. If you don't like the neighborhood, just wait 10 minutes. Driving around them is not always practical because of our horrendous traffic problem.

I have friends from all over, even some in the not the best of neighborhoods, but it's just a sad fact of reality that sometimes (i.e., in the evenings) it's best to be aware of the surroundings.
      01-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Point taken. Especially in metropolitan areas (LA is probably among the worst).

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Interesting. What if a passenger were to lock him/herself in the car? What if that passenger also had a key fob? It won't let the passenger lock the doors if inside?
If you lock the doors with the key FOB, you can only unlock them agian with a key fob

So if you sit inside and lock the doors using the key fob you cannot get out untill you unlock them again with the key fob
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
If you lock the doors with the key FOB, you can only unlock them agian with a key fob

So if you sit inside and lock the doors using the key fob you cannot get out untill you unlock them again with the key fob
Actually, I believe there is an undocumented way to open the car from inside after using the fob to lock it.

Lock the car w/the keyfob. Then to get out, you press and HOLD the central unlock button on the dash while you pull the interior door handle to unlock.

I cannot test at the moment (have CA which won't let you lock yourself inside, and no one is home at the moment to assist). Anyone want to give it a try?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #12
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm a little confused, and should just wait until I actually get my car once it arrives. You mean to tell me that once the doors are locked with the fob, the passenger is completely locked in (as in the rear seat of a cop car)? No get out of jail free card?

If I'm not mistaken, the e46 doors can be unlocked from the inside simply by pulling the inside door handles out twice.
      01-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
As previously noted:

Quote:
Lock the car w/the keyfob. Then to get out, you press and HOLD the central unlock button on the dash while you pull the interior door handle to unlock.
OK, I just tested this and it does work. You can lock someone in with the fob, and you can get out as described above. Of course, not recommended, but good to know.

The suggestion to have her use the button to lock/unlock herself is probably the best solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #14
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the e46 doors can be unlocked from the inside simply by pulling the inside door handles out twice.
I think you are mistaken. On my E46 - locking the car with the remote deadlocked all the doors, making it impossible to get out from the inside.

The passenger can just push the central locking button to lock themselves in the car if they wish.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac
Actually, I believe there is an undocumented way to open the car from inside after using the fob to lock it.

I cannot test at the moment (have CA which won't let you lock yourself inside, and no one is home at the moment to assist). Anyone want to give it a try?
Yes there is usually a 2 step way to getting out of the vehicle when it is locked by a remote control. In my e46, to get out of the car when it was locked by the remote, you have to first push the unlock/lock button, then pull the door handles twice and wa-la. magic! im sure it is the same mechanism in the e90 too.
      01-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I'm a little confused, and should just wait until I actually get my car once it arrives. You mean to tell me that once the doors are locked with the fob, the passenger is completely locked in (as in the rear seat of a cop car)? No get out of jail free card?

Ill have to test a e46 tomorrow, but you cant in a E39 or E38

The reason for it is so you cant just get into the locked car by sliding a hook down between the window and the door and using it to pull the inside door handle rod

i know 2 people that had to phone me over the last few years because they could get out of their car. They had accidently pressed the lock button on their key, and it disables all door handles and inside button.
Appreciate 0