E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > URGENT! My 09 328i won't start after Premium Gas!

02-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Correct - E36 models were last manufactured 20+ years ago.
I love the feeling when the only thing I have to worry about is the cooling system and not all the fancy gadgets. I guess mine being a 99 is one of the last ones out there and they had the E46 the same year.

I only said that because my other e36 which takes 89 gas. I put 93 in it anyways but my e30 318i I had put 87 gas and got me 40mpg. Damn I miss the simplicity of that car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RequestTheOverhead View Post
Just a word to the wise.... Almost all fuel pumps (including those in our cars) are cooled and lubricated by the fuel that it pumps. So letting your tank run really low can overheat/cavitate your pump causing increased wear and premature failure. You've been warned
THIS IS TRUE! I tell all my buddies and family members this. You can clog your fuel filter this way as well. No biggie on older bmw cars 50-100 bucks but on our e90/e92s they are 500+ without install.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
What a weird ass thing to do. Why the hell didn't you just go inside?

And who the f*ck still talks on the phone for 2 hours these days?
The Black Dakota Leather interior is just so comfortable, plus it was freezing outside. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #26
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI e90

Quote:
Just a word to the wise.... Almost all fuel pumps (including those in our cars) are cooled and lubricated by the fuel that it pumps. So letting your tank run really low can overheat/cavitate your pump causing increased wear and premature failure. You've been warned
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
In theory, yes, in practice no. My wife runs every tank den to zero......for 135,000 Kms so far and no problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep
Drives: e90 pre-LCI 335

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
In theory, yes, in practice no. My wife runs every tank den to zero......for 135,000 Kms so far and no problems.
I did say *can* . There will always be those that fall on the far right of the bell curve. Like I said, just a warning. As a mechanical engineer, professional pilot, and amateur mechanic I would advise against it but do as you (or your wife) wish. It isn't my money! Cheers
| Cold, "Sport", and Luxury packages | Tinted | OEM Black Lines | JB4 | DCI | ER FMIC | Forge DV's | Custom exhaust with secondary cat delete, Magnaflow mufflers, black Dimisa Tips | Staggered 18" V718's, Matte Black | Flappy Paddles | Titanium CF Trim Wrap | BMW Performance Shifter and E-Brake Handle |
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #29
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Not true. At least through '08, 91 AKI is "recommended" and 89 may be used in turbo models and 87 in the 328i/323i.

From the '07 3 series manual:

Required fuel
Super Premium Gasoline/AKI 91
This gasoline is highly recommended.
However, you may also use gasoline with less
AKI. The minimum AKI Rating is:
> 323i, 328i/xi: 87
> 335i: 89.

Tom
Yeah, my manual says that too. The AA tune also comes with the stipulation that, where previously you could use 87, the advanced timing REQUIRES 91+ since the engine will no longer compensate with retarded timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
So cars can still Run 12 miles after 0 miles left sign comes. hmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markanthony3210 View Post
I read some where that there's still 1 gallon left after the digital speedometer hits 0mpg. I wouldn't test it though.
A few weeks ago I was lazy and didn't feel like filling up on a few short trips. Long and short of it is, I hit the 0 miles range mark in the BC with another mile to go to the gas station. When I filled up, the car took 15.606 gallons. Theoretically, the tank is 16.1 gallons, leaving a half gallon or so extra at dead empty indicated.

If I had to guess, that's a limit probably designed to keep the fuel line outlet submerged under reasonable incline conditions. For example, in my dead-level parking space, there's plenty of fuel getting to the engine, but perhaps on a 30 degree incline in San Francisco, below .5gal there's no guarantee that the engine can actually get fuel to run.

But anyway, under good conditions, there's still enough fuel at dead empty to get a few miles.
Appreciate 0