E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede DME/Misfire Codes

11-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Procede DME/Misfire Codes

Hey E9XPost,

Lately ive been getting pretty bad misfires (ive had 3). I finally got my Serial -> USB cable and installed it onto my Procede. I got everything working, and datalogged the car at idle and around the block to make sure it was working.

Now, my question is:

1) Is there a way to retrieve the codes that i got when i got the SES light after the misfire?

2)Do i need to datalog and reproduce what happened?

I went into the User Adjustable Parameters and switched a few things around as well:
- WGPosition to 70% (completely got rid of WG rattle at idle )
-Turned on speed delimiter ( why not? )

Thanks for the info!
Eric

Last edited by Eric335; 11-03-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
I tried to retrieve the DME codes. I turned on datalogging (car is off, ignition is on), floored the gas, released it, and the engine-light popped up on the dash. This is what the Procede caught:

Also, my car has been making a noise that i never noticed before, but hopefully its normal. Please help me identify this!

Last edited by Eric335; 11-03-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
No one?

Also,could misfires be caused by not having enough fuel in the tank? I was under a quarter tank last time it misfired. Since ive filled up, i havent had a misfire...
      11-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

The noise from engine bay sounds like the vacuum solenoid farting/buzzing noise that was caused by one of the Procede maps. If I remember correctly it was fixed in 3-30 DIC (2011). What Procede revision and map are you running?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507168

Try updating to one of the newer maps i.e. 7-29.
http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54...downloads.html

You can read the errors using the Procede software:
http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2

It will be easier to help you when you have all the codes. Then convert the numbers from decimal to hex and search on here.
E.g.
12045 = 2F0D
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335rocks View Post
The noise from engine bay sounds like the vacuum solenoid farting/buzzing noise that was caused by one of the Procede maps. If I remember correctly it was fixed in 3-30 DIC (2011). What Procede revision and map are you running?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507168

Try updating to one of the newer maps i.e. 7-29.
http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54...downloads.html

You can read the errors using the Procede software:
http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2

It will be easier to help you when you have all the codes. Then convert the numbers from decimal to hex and search on here.
E.g.
12045 = 2F0D
Thanks for the reply!

I am using whatever maps were on it when Shiv sent it to me, i believe the 9-10 Aggressive (im using 93 Octane). I am using Rev2.5, fyi. What should i physically look for to see whats buzzing?

Also, ill look at all the codes i gathered today and post back their hex names. Some of the codes i got (decimals) didnt have hex names when i looked at the google.doc linked in the Owners Manual. Where is the best place to get all these codes hex names? Also, why do we use the hex names over the decimals?

Eric

Last edited by Eric335; 11-03-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I am using whatever maps were on it when Shiv sent it to me, i believe the 9-10 Aggressive (im using 93 Octane). I am using Rev2.5, fyi. What should i physically look for to see whats buzzing?

Also, ill look at all the codes i gathered today and post back their hex names. Some of the codes i got (decimals) didnt have hex names when i looked at the google.doc linked in the Owners Manual. Where is the best place to get all these codes hex names? Also, why do we use the hex names over the decimals?

Eric
While connected to the car, check the Firmware version in the Procede user interface. Comms->Firmware Info.

Seeing what stage map you are running is a bit more tricky and you may need to compare some of the tables to figure that one out. I.e. open two instances of the Procede UI and then go online with the one in the car, got to Open Loop Fuel (Map 1). In instance two of the UI load e.g. stage 1 (from the downloaded 9-10 maps) and go to the same table compare the numbers. If they don't look the same then try to load another stage and compare them until you find which one you are running. You may need to compare multiples tables to be 100% sure you have identified the map.

The noise the engine bay sounds like one or both of the pressure converters/boost solenoids are buzzing. These are the two on the side of the engine where all the vacuum hoses go into. First thing I would try is to downgrade to the 7-29 maps and see if this still happens with that map. If it doesn't you know it's the map. You can then try to reload the 9-10 map and see if it comes back. If it does, contact Shiv and let them investigate further. It's probably not a hardware issue, but I wouldn't be running with that until it's fixed.

The fault codes are in hex because that's what BMW use in their SIB (bulletins) and you'll find a lot more information if you search on the hex code than the decimal variant. You can use Calc.exe in Windows to convert between them. Launch the Calculator, press ALT+3 and enter then decimal number and click Hex. Bingo you have now converted it and don't need any tables. If you don't use Windows then I'm sure there are plenty of other calculators that can do this. Just search for it in any search engine.

You can then search the forum for those codes.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
While connected to the car, check the Firmware version in the Procede user interface. Comms->Firmware Info.

Seeing what stage map you are running is a bit more tricky and you may need to compare some of the tables to figure that one out. I.e. open two instances of the Procede UI and then go online with the one in the car, got to Open Loop Fuel (Map 1). In instance two of the UI load e.g. stage 1 (from the downloaded 9-10 maps) and go to the same table compare the numbers. If they don't look the same then try to load another stage and compare them until you find which one you are running. You may need to compare multiples tables to be 100% sure you have identified the map.

The noise the engine bay sounds like one or both of the pressure converters/boost solenoids are buzzing. These are the two on the side of the engine where all the vacuum hoses go into. First thing I would try is to downgrade to the 7-29 maps and see if this still happens with that map. If it doesn't you know it's the map. You can then try to reload the 9-10 map and see if it comes back. If it does, contact Shiv and let them investigate further. It's probably not a hardware issue, but I wouldn't be running with that until it's fixed.

The fault codes are in hex because that's what BMW use in their SIB (bulletins) and you'll find a lot more information if you search on the hex code than the decimal variant. You can use Calc.exe in Windows to convert between them. Launch the Calculator, press ALT+3 and enter then decimal number and click Hex. Bingo you have now converted it and don't need any tables. If you don't use Windows then I'm sure there are plenty of other calculators that can do this. Just search for it in any search engine.

You can then search the forum for those codes.
Thanks for all the info. Ill do these tonight or tomoro as soon as i can. Should i just go ahead and flash the newest Stage 1 93 Octane maps from Shivs website, and then check the boost solenoid buzzing?

On cold-starts ive been having long-cranks. Sign of HPFP or spark plugs? I was thinking of replacing all my spark-plugs next weekend to try to remedy some of the misfires/long cranks.

Also, i shouldnt be driving the car? I go to work about 2 miles from my house, would it be fine for the 4 mile commute monday thru friday?

EDIT: Set of plugs and the spark-plug changer tool ordered from N54Tuning.com. Will be replacing them next weekend?

Last edited by Eric335; 11-04-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Ill do these tonight or tomoro as soon as i can. Should i just go ahead and flash the newest Stage 1 93 Octane maps from Shivs website, and then check the boost solenoid buzzing?
Just do the 7-29 one. Flash the firmware and then load the correct map. Then check if the solenoids are buzzing?

Quote:
On cold-starts ive been having long-cranks. Sign of HPFP or spark plugs? I was thinking of replacing all my spark-plugs next weekend to try to remedy some of the misfires/long cranks.
Long cranks would most likely be HPFP. It wouldn't be the spark plugs.

Quote:
Also, i shouldnt be driving the car? I go to work about 2 miles from my house, would it be fine for the 4 mile commute monday thru friday?
Unless you enjoy the exercise , I would spend the the 5 mins it takes to load an older map to test this. From previous I think Shiv said it wasn't harmful, so you are probably okay to drive it, but it's your choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Just do the 7-29 one. Flash the firmware and then load the correct map. Then check if the solenoids are buzzing?
I will do this when i get some free time. Life is so hectic!

Quote:
Long cranks would most likely be HPFP. It wouldn't be the spark plugs.
Ah, shit

Quote:
Unless you enjoy the exercise , I would spend the the 5 mins it takes to load an older map to test this. From previous I think Shiv said it wasn't harmful, so you are probably okay to drive it, but it's your choice.

Thanks! Ill load up the 7-29 when i get the chance! How do i choose between aggressive and normal maps? Im running 93 Oct.
      11-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I will do this when i get some free time. Life is so hectic!

Ah, shit

Thanks! Ill load up the 7-29 when i get the chance! How do i choose between aggressive and normal maps? Im running 93 Oct.
Did you ever read the other codes? They may give you a better idea of what the problem was. Perhaps they were HPFP codes?

The 7-29 maps are non-aggressive maps. So just load the firmware and load the correct 2.5/3.0 map for your transmission. The primary point here is to check if the buzzing disappear if you use the 7-29 maps. If it disappear then try to load the 9-10 maps again and see if the problem comes back? If the buzzing only happens with the latest maps then contact Vishnu customer support.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Did you ever read the other codes? They may give you a better idea of what the problem was. Perhaps they were HPFP codes?

The 7-29 maps are non-aggressive maps. So just load the firmware and load the correct 2.5/3.0 map for your transmission. The primary point here is to check if the buzzing disappear if you use the 7-29 maps. If it disappear then try to load the 9-10 maps again and see if the problem comes back? If the buzzing only happens with the latest maps then contact Vishnu customer support.
Thanks for the clarification, will do that when i get the chance! Thanks!
      11-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:

UPDATE:
Just wanted to update everyone in case they have a similar issue. Im not sure if the original map was corrupted or something, but i ended up reloading the firmware as well as the Stage 1 maps, and the boost solenoid buzz has stopped. Hopefully this will smooth out the engine (along with my plug replacement today), as i was getting pretty bad misfires and it was not running very smoothly... I also finally figured out how to check the codes I had the exhuast-gate (golf-tee mod, 2F6C) and a coolant warning (not sure on this one, still figuring it out, 2F0D). Check this thread to see those codes:

Show Thread

As far as the long-cranks, ill be taking the car to the dealership without the Procede when i get the chance. I havent gotten a half-engine light yet, and its only been sporadic, so we shall see

Thanks for everything E9XPost, you all rock