E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How does the Comfort Access System work?

05-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #23
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
For my E46 it is a dealer setting. The doors lock at 7mph or something close to that.

Yes, I hope our cars get the same setting as SA.

So, how do you open your passenger door from the outside?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #24
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwocky
Comfort Access

"Also available for the first time on a BMW in this class is Comfort Access. All cars receive a newly designed key that replaces the conventional blade-type key but with Comfort Access the key contains an ID Sensor that the car recognises from a short distance away. On recognition, the doors are unlocked automatically and the car can be started with one push of the starter button. The Comfort Access system also works in tandem with BMW's familiar key memory system to ensure that the seating position, door mirrors, personalised air conditioning settings and radio reception are automatically adjusted to the current drivers' settings before they enter the car.

Walking up to his BMW properly locked and secured, all the driver has to do with Comfort Access is pull the door handle in order to open the door. Then, as he is taking his seat at the wheel, the Personal Profile functions serve to adjust, say, the driver’s seating position, the automatic air conditioning and the radio station according to the driver’s personal requirements.

Over and above these three functions, Car & Key Memory (CKM) also sets the interior and exterior mirrors, the central locking and interior lights, the audio system sound effects and, in a car appropriately equipped, the presentation on the Control Display as well as the voice entry setting.

Once the driver is ready to go, he simply presses the start/stop button. Once he has reached his destination, in turn, he presses the same button to switch off the engine. Then, placing his finger on the marked surface on the door handle after getting out and closing the door, he automatically locks and secures the car without requiring any further action. If he has forgotton the ID sensor in the car the doors will not lock and the driver will receive an appropriate warning. And should the electronic key control system ever fail to operate, the driver can insert the ID sensor into a slot in the instrument panel in order to drive the car just as conveniently the “conventional” way."
Jwocky, where did u get that photo from??? I want to watch that video that is says you can click on...is the video about the comfort access? Been searching for it all day, can't find it :/
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 03:18 PM   #25
gsko
Rep
Drives: Ordering '06 325i

I'm very interested in this mainly because I am mildly OCD about things being locked. What happens if you exit the car and do not touch the door handle and walk away. Will it lock itself once the key fob is out of distance or does it remain open?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #26
jayo
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
The dealer showed it to me. In South Africa, it has been set that you walk up to the car (it remains locked) and when you pull the doorhandle, it unlocks and opens simultanously. Get in push start (doors lock on pull off). When you get out, you tap a demarkated spot on the handle and it locks.

Bear in mind, you have to be standing next to the car. If you walk past your car, it won't unlock it. It's in like a 50cm distance that enables the car to be unlocked.
Broken1 is correct - the car does not unlock unless you actually grab the door handle.

I have comfort access on my 320D (in Ireland), and I did a quick video of how it works http://www.collsoft.ie/comfort.wmv

Jayo
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 06:29 PM   #27
ogrady
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335

Jayo that's awesome seeing it in action. Good idea in making the video! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 04:26 AM   #28
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

The video is great, Now i'm gonna go show my family member that cannot belive such things
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #29
RedLightRonnie
RedLightRonnie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 M3

Clarification of Comfort Access

Lots of Confusion - Let me help clear-up this issue.

You must touch the door handle for the system to recognize you! PERIOD.

Simply walking past the car or being within 1/2 meter range will NOT unlock the vehicle. NOT on a BMW, Audi, M-B, VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, or any other vehicle with a passive entry system. If this were the case, your keyfob would constantly be communicating (or trying to communicate) with the vehicle controller. This would drain your battery in one day!

When the door handle is touched, (technically you are "breaking" a capacitive sensor field that the electronics inside the door handle generate) the circuit board within the door handle will initiate communication with the keyfob and verify that your keyfob is the correct code. If, and ONLY if, you pull on the door handle, will the vehicle unlock. Touching the door handle only verifies that you are authorized to open the door. Pulling on the handle unlocks the door lock latch and allows you to open the door; all within a few hundred milliseconds.

Also, there are antennas inside the car that sense if the keyfob was left inside the car. When you exit the vehicle and press the button to lock the door, the antennas inside the car communicate with the keyfob to make sure it is not in the car or in the trunk. If it is, the car will not lock.

Hope this helps.
Believe me, "Passive Entry" is a great option to have on any car. That's why so many Luxury car manufacturers are putting these systems in their cars. (NOTE: I think you will all agree with me that a Toyota Prius is not a luxury car but it does have a simplified Passive Entry System).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #30
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

wow...way to dig up this thread....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2006, 02:40 AM   #31
E90JBTD
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulh
one thing i would have liked which my e90 doesnt have but the X Type did is the doors locking when i drove off. I know there is a button on the dash but i would rather it locked automatically. is this a software option that can be turned on?
On your signal indicator there is a little scroll looking device. Click it up until you find a little button with a check or something. There is 2 different types of menus to enter. Find the one with "Daytime Lights" and such and you can click on the option to have the car lock once moving.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #32
ANovak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLightRonnie
When the door handle is touched, (technically you are "breaking" a capacitive sensor field that the electronics inside the door handle generate) the circuit board within the door handle will initiate communication with the keyfob and verify that your keyfob is the correct code. If, and ONLY if, you pull on the door handle, will the vehicle unlock. Touching the door handle only verifies that you are authorized to open the door. Pulling on the handle unlocks the door lock latch and allows you to open the door; all within a few hundred milliseconds.
Capacitance proximity sensors work by detecting a change in the dielectric constant of the material in front of the sensor. The dielectric constant of air is 1 and that of water is 80. Since the human body is mostly water, the sensor can be set to detect the presence of water displacing the air in front of the sensor. You do not have to touch the handle for the car to unlock. Try it, just place your hand between the door handle and the side of the car without touching either. The car will unlock. After you hear the car unlock, you do need to pull on the handle to open the door.
      02-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #33
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
That is freakin cool! Thanks for letting us know how it works. Hopefully it's programmed the same way in north america.
it is
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #34
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
y
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLightRonnie View Post
Lots of Confusion - Let me help clear-up this issue.

You must touch the door handle for the system to recognize you! PERIOD.

Simply walking past the car or being within 1/2 meter range will NOT unlock the vehicle. NOT on a BMW, Audi, M-B, VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, or any other vehicle with a passive entry system. If this were the case, your keyfob would constantly be communicating (or trying to communicate) with the vehicle controller. This would drain your battery in one day!

Also, there are antennas inside the car that sense if the keyfob was left inside the car. When you exit the vehicle and press the button to lock the door, the antennas inside the car communicate with the keyfob to make sure it is not in the car or in the trunk. If it is, the car will not lock.

Hope this helps.
Believe me, "Passive Entry" is a great option to have on any car. That's why so many Luxury car manufacturers are putting these systems in their cars. (NOTE: I think you will all agree with me that a Toyota Prius is not a luxury car but it does have a simplified Passive Entry System).
u just have to put ur hand on the handle u dont have to pull on it
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #35
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Dude, this thread is almost four years old. Let it die, noob.
      02-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #36
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Dude, this thread is almost four years old. Let it die, noob.
1 word:

Illiterate
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #37
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
With my '07 E93 you have to grab/touch the handle to get it unlock.

Also to lock the car, all you have to do it place your finger on the little ridges on the door handle. You do not have to press anything to lock the door.

I personally put the key in the slot when driving just so I know where it is.

Also just curious as to "forum etiquette" - is it better to post a new thread about an old subject already discussed or to bump up an old thread?
      02-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #38
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

There's an etiquette?

All this talk of dielectrics and antennas is pure crap. It's done with tiny little trained monkeys.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #39
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Also just curious as to "forum etiquette" - is it better to post a new thread about an old subject already discussed or to bump up an old thread?
As with a great many things in life, the answer is, "it depends." For threads that contain an accumulation of information on certain subjects, it's always best to bump old threads. For example, the "official xxx color" thread or the cumulative turbo lag experience thread, etc.

When a thread contains outdated information or just idle speculation, it's best not to revive it since people who lack the brains to realize that it's an ooooooooooooold thread will jump in all huffy puffy and start quoting text from four years ago. This thread is a perfect example of that - it's just idle speculation from 2005 about how Comfort Access works. If you really wanted to know how it works, you'd go read your manual, since it's been out for a number of years now. If you had a specific question about CA, you could always do a search, as there have been numerous threads that have covered different aspects of it.

In sum, use your best judgement when deciding whether to revive dormant threads or start new ones.
      02-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #40
Shadow_Phantom12
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Performance Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiweiwei View Post
if an aftermarket alarm is installed with this comfort access feature, how would it work?
You can install the OEM alarm that works in conjunction with the Comfort Access System. Like CA, the alarm has many sensors placed throughout the interior and exterior of the vehicle. They're both really good splurges imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #41
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Phantom12 View Post
You can install the OEM alarm that works in conjunction with the Comfort Access System. Like CA, the alarm has many sensors placed throughout the interior and exterior of the vehicle. They're both really good splurges imo.
I think the guy who posted that question is dead by now. Like this thread used to be. Correct me if I'm wrong methodtim..and I know you will.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #42
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
I think the guy who posted that question is dead by now. Like this thread used to be. Correct me if I'm wrong methodtim..and I know you will.
Magic 8-ball says, "Spot on, good sir!"
      02-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #43
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Magic 8-ball says, "Spot on, good sir!"
Whoa, your magic 8 ball says THAT? Mine only says "outlook good!"

02-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #44
Molos 2003
Get out there and floor it!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93 Sapphire/Saddle

Garage List
Comfort access is a god send. I have always got the kids and crap in my hand and to touch the door to get in rocks. I have mine set to open all with a touch so I can get the baby in. If I did not have CA I have to dig for the key drop somethings maybe even hurt the baby. Thanks to CA i do not have this problems.

My only gripe is...for a car of this class it should be standard at least in the 335i/d.