E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Upgraded clutch advice

03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #67
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Guys I've got mine pretty much sorted so count me out please.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #68
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

No worries..
      03-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #69
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Problem is, buying from the US - for export - means no state tax, but as my brother is picking it up, that means it's classed a local sale so it gets 7% tax.

The seller is coming back to me this am to see if we can come up with a plan, so we'll see.

Re your question about fitting, I would still use darren wood as they are local for me, well 50 miles, and I can fit it in with days working up there.

Last edited by doughboy; 03-12-2013 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #70
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Done - ordered!!

SB533FH-2 (stage 2+ clutch with hybrid plate for use with SPEC billet flywheel)

SB53A-3 (billet alloy solid flywheel, 6 hole for post-Jan 09 build N54)

Direct from SPEC in the US , $30 shipping to my brother in Georgia USA (out of state sale, so it is US state tax free).

He's bring it back next week, as he's in a Porsche motorsport team there, he is always bring tools and parts back and forth, so no customs issues here, touch wood.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #71
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Good deal! I paid just over £370 for a spec single mass FW earlier this week and hopefully shouldn't get stung by customs.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #72
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335rocks View Post
I thought it was just me because I didn't swap the DMF until Marcel had the same issue with a new DMF. So with 3 people experiencing massive clutch judder I'm also a bit miffed about the youtube video. Definitely doesn't live up to the sales pitch. It shouldn't take 15K to bed in to make it driveable in 1st/reverse. I remember the first couple of thousand miles and I agree with you that it's a nightmare in traffic. You quickly learn to put it in neutral and I didn't have much confidence in it for a while.

Nice, I have considered using something like Pit Start self service garages and do it myself. I'm just a bit worried that I'll leave myself stranded because of a part issue or I forget to bring some tools. I got an ER Sports oil cooler to fit as it came with all the brackets, grills and adapters for the oil filter housing. I also bought the ducting for the SE bumper on the off-chance I can butcher it a bit to make it fit my Msport bumper. We'll see what an angle grinder or cutting disc on a Dremel can do to make this happen.

I would have gone down the route of Setrab if I had a VK Motorwerks bracket, but I couldn't really say no to the price I got the ER cooler for.
I was thinking of sending HPF an email but not sure if I'll actually get anywhere. I'm lucky to have a few mechanics in the family and have full access to ramps and tools on weekends. Most of them hang around so can lend a hand too which is a bonus. I've saved myself well over 2k recently in labour with the jobs I've been doing on it so I can't really moan. Having a backup car helps though just in case I mess up!

I was close to getting the ER cooler on the Black Friday offers not too long ago but I love a DIY challenge! I've found the cooler I want to so just need to get the oil lines and maybe swap over to an external thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #73
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Good deal! I paid just over £370 for a spec single mass FW earlier this week and hopefully shouldn't get stung by customs.
Great customer service from SPEC, instant email replies from their main man David Norton.

They gave really good discount from their own web prices (over 10%), took the overseas Paypal charges on top and provided a, ahem, greatly reduced receipt for customs reasons......

As I'm buying the matching billet flywheel / clutch combo, you also get their own release bearing, billet release bearing arm to replace the OE pressed steel one, a pilot bearing and all the ally bolts included.

All for a shade under £900 (including the Stage2+/stage3 hybrid plate option)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #74
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Great customer service from SPEC, instant email replies from their main man David Norton.

They gave really good discount from their own web prices (over 10%), took the overseas Paypal charges on top and provided a, ahem, greatly reduced receipt for customs reasons......

As I'm buying the matching billet flywheel / clutch combo, you also get their own release bearing, billet release bearing arm to replace the OE pressed steel one, a pilot bearing and all the ally bolts included.

All for a shade under £900 (including the Stage2+/stage3 hybrid plate option)
Be very careful with their own pilot bearing, I have seen a few other people who have fitted the Spec pilot bearing only to find issues with it. They might have changed it since then. Google "Sped 2+ & SMFW Engagement Issue" for more info
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #75
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Cheers for that Idnan.

Aren't they talking about the release bearing height? Is that what the american guys calling the 'TO' bearing?

I can't see how the pilot bearing could cause clutch pedal release height issues?

SPEC mentioned to me I was getting a dual-height release bearing, which seems to tie up with their statement on your other forum links.

They said to me (quote):

"Remember during install to check the bearing position on your car. Euro market cars are supposed to be on the tall setting, but not all we have seen have been. Just remember to check it at disassembly so you know which ledge to use on our bearing, which is a billet copy of the stocker"

Hopefully this will cover?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #76
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Sorry yes I meant release bearing. Most of them reuse the standard one, can't see why they needed to change the design of it IMO.

AFAIK they have redesigned it now anyway.

I had pilot bearing in mind as I have to contact them regarding the removal of the centre of the DMF as their SMFW doesn't come with the flange.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #77
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Great news.

I will probably wait a few weeks/months. Just had to buy some new wheels (due to pothole damage) and have Window and Door replacement to pay for, Oh and a wedding next Easter...

Hopefully you'll post your feedback and Video's before I need to pull the trigger! It would be great if the Pound/Dollar Exchange rate improved in that time too!
      03-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #78
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Great news.

I will probably wait a few weeks/months. Just had to buy some new wheels (due to pothole damage) and have Window and Door replacement to pay for, Oh and a wedding next Easter...

Hopefully you'll post your feedback and Video's before I need to pull the trigger! It would be great if the Pound/Dollar Exchange rate improved in that time too!
Sounds like you've got a wallet hammering coming up....

I want to get mine fitted in the next month, as its slipping without meth it would be hopeless with the meth kit on I expect. At the weekend, provoking slip I got it easily slipping in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th.

Then its a trackday at bedford on 4th May

Re the £ rate, the pound is only going one way in the foreseable future - down the toilet, especially against the dollar IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #79
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry yes I meant release bearing. Most of them reuse the standard one, can't see why they needed to change the design of it IMO.

AFAIK they have redesigned it now anyway.

I had pilot bearing in mind as I have to contact them regarding the removal of the centre of the DMF as their SMFW doesn't come with the flange.
Cheers for the shout though, I had thought to get a new release bearing anyway while the 'box was off, but mines only got 42k it?

I suppose I can just us the new one they supply?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #80
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Could use their one, I wouldn't reuse the old one though even at 41k.

Look what has arrived! Sent out on Tuesday, arrived this morning and customs didn't bat an eyelid

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #81
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Wow - nice looking chunk of engineering

Busy weekend planned?

Did you order yours from SPEC or from a reseller in the US?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #82
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Is that Steel or Ali?

I'm still tempted by your used DMF.. Jeff@topgearsolutions recommends OEM DMF for all sub 500rwhp applications....
      03-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #83
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Wow - nice looking chunk of engineering

Busy weekend planned?

Did you order yours from SPEC or from a reseller in the US?
Got Sparky68 coming down for my exhaust on Sunday will probably do it in a few weeks. Bought it second hand off a guy who mounted it but wouldn't fit his ACT clutch which has massive rivets on the friction disc. So it has never been run on a car and it was at an excellent price inc delivery.

Quote:
Is that Steel or Ali?

I'm still tempted by your used DMF.. Jeff@topgearsolutions recommends OEM DMF for all sub 500rwhp applications....
Its the Ali version. I couldn't believe how light it was when I picked it up. I'll fit it within a month hopefully so if you're still interested I'll give you a shout when it is out. Just need to order a new pilot bearing and FW bolts.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #84
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Jeff@topgearsolutions recommends OEM DMF for all sub 500rwhp applications....
He's probably right ultimately.

I thought long and hard about it, then though what the heck.

I'm not sure where I'll go with the motor in the end, might even catch up with idnan one day
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #85
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
I was thinking of sending HPF an email but not sure if I'll actually get anywhere. I'm lucky to have a few mechanics in the family and have full access to ramps and tools on weekends. Most of them hang around so can lend a hand too which is a bonus. I've saved myself well over 2k recently in labour with the jobs I've been doing on it so I can't really moan. Having a backup car helps though just in case I mess up!
So you're going to try to combine their alu single mass flywheel with your HPF clutch? I'd really love to see how that goes...!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #86
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Clutch & Flywheel has arrived in Georgia, just got to get it back to the UK now.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #87
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

When are you looking to have it installed DB?

I'm close to sorting out raising the idle via INPA. I've got to the menu which allows you to adjust it but I keep getting an error message which I've posted up about in the relevant subforum. Under each specific condition (idle in gear/normal idle/AC/battery charging) you can choose to offset it between -250 and +250. As soon as I crack it I'll post up on here and let you guys know how to do it. I've seen a screenshot of it done so it is definitely possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #88
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Some time in April, once I've got the clutch here I'll book it in with Darren Woods to tie in with a meeting in Manchester. I've got a track day 4th May, so it needs doing before then.

I've bought an INPA lead, but the INPA software bundled with it is V5.0.0 which doesn't seem to have MSD81/N54 on it.

What V of INPA are you using? I read V5.0.2 has MSD81/N54?
Appreciate 0