E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 335xi to Porsche Cayenne or Mercedes S Class

08-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

335xi to Porsche Cayenne or Mercedes S Class

I need of a cruiser.

I was very impressed by my 335xi for many reasons; powerful, pretty fun, practical; a few negatives as usual - I didn't like the turbo engine (unpredictable response, laggy esp with AWD and 6MT and drive by wire throttle, don't like the elastic band feeling of turbo engines). The car is good, its probably the best car in the world in its segment. Part of the reason why I feel this way is after driving the Panamera -- the 335 can feel a bit frustrating to drive.

If I were to get another car in this segment, it would be the same car.

I was however thinking of moving up to either a Cayenne or an S-Class for cruising/DD and adding a 911 or Cayman as a driver's car sometime in the future, if the Panamera isn't enough or if I don't have enough time (which is more likely)

I know you guys love your 3 series -- it really is the best car in the world for driving pleasure/comfort/practicality at that price point.

Which vehicle would you choose? Cayenne V6 or S Class if you had to choose -- bear in mind for those who haven't driven an S class...it has road feel and is quite composed.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

You are definitely moving to another segment!

I would not buy Cayenne V6. If I didn't have the money to buy the Twin Turbo, I would buy one that is 2-3 years old. Same goes for S class. I would want to get the AMG version, if possible! Good luck in your search.
      08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Never-Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi E90

Turbo Porsche or don't even bother.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

S550 for a daily driver would be the best bet in my eyes

Comfort
Power
Safety
Technology
Presence
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Hmmm...I'm trying to stay away from Turbo engines; here in Canada I need AWD or I would actually buy a CLS, but they are all rear drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj View Post
S550 for a daily driver would be the best bet in my eyes

Comfort
Power
Safety
Technology
Presence
This is what I am settling on. I'm not 100% yet if I'll let the 335 go, but if so, it will likely be that route. I've also reached a point where...my 335i had a PE, 313 rims, splitters so it had presence (mostly because of the exhaust), and the Panamara gets stared at all the time -- I'm starting to favour a vehicle that doesn't have so much presence, just a simple comfy cruiser for the long highway trips and daily bump and grind.

I will miss 6MT, I know it if I go this route...but thats something for the future. Maybe an f30 down the line if they have NA i-6.

They sell a smaller wheelbase S450 here in Canada, having a smaller wheelbase it will prob drive that much better.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
hwa786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 328xi

I must say I own a 3 series and an S-class....I just love driving the S-class because its so nice and comfortable, but then when I get to my 3 series, I'm like damn I did miss this handling! Dont knw much about Porsches, but I can say that the 06 S430 that I have is one amazing car and definitely worth it!

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

The new CLS's offer 4matic IIRC...E550 is 4matic standard...S550/CL are 4Matic now as well. We had an S550, best car ever. So smooth, top quality, not bad to drive either.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

fwiw, I did pretty much the same (with two P-cars for the weekends) but instead I have an E Class AMG as a daily driver. The S Class was just a bit too big for me personally, otherwise it's a great choice. If you do decide on the S Class be sure to get the ABC option. The ABC suspension completely eliminates any body roll and makes the car handle flat and feel pretty nimble for a heavy sedan.

As far as the Cayenne V6, it's a very good SUV but I just wouldn't want it as my all around daily. The V6 is also a bit coarse at higher rpms. You could think about adding one to your garage later; a 911 variant, the S Class, and a Cayenne would make for a well rounded trio.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

The current Cayenne S is actually pretty damn quick. And if you go with an S, at least spec it with the AMG body kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Not trying to be rude but it reads as if the Panamera is yours.

Did you once say it was your parents?
      08-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #12
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

I'd go with the s class yummmm
      08-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSKE92 View Post
The new CLS's offer 4matic IIRC...E550 is 4matic standard...S550/CL are 4Matic now as well. We had an S550, best car ever. So smooth, top quality, not bad to drive either.
Its confirmed, the 335 is gone.

I like the new CLS, but in Canada you can only order the AMG

ANd I looked...the chassis of the CLS is based on the e-class and the luxury level isn't the same as the S class.

The E-class I wasn't impressed by, amaizng engine...absolute beauty naturally aspirated engine, but the inteirior is disappointing. I'm not looking for power, I find a V6 is enough to get me into trouble -- I'm lookign for smooth, classy, confident driving.

Gone are the insecure times of rice rocketing past m3's and C classes just to feel good. No sense in that.

I think I'll likely end up buying an S450 short wheel base. Gonna miss a driver's car, but such are the demands of life!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
fwiw, I did pretty much the same (with two P-cars for the weekends) but instead I have an E Class AMG as a daily driver. The S Class was just a bit too big for me personally, otherwise it's a great choice. If you do decide on the S Class be sure to get the ABC option. The ABC suspension completely eliminates any body roll and makes the car handle flat and feel pretty nimble for a heavy sedan.

As far as the Cayenne V6, it's a very good SUV but I just wouldn't want it as my all around daily. The V6 is also a bit coarse at higher rpms. You could think about adding one to your garage later; a 911 variant, the S Class, and a Cayenne would make for a well rounded trio.
Yea it looks like we'll have the Panamera, S Class...and then later on add a sports car, thats not on my mind right now...thats if I have the time!!

Based on what you guys are saying, and my own reviews, and test driving...the S Class is a phenomenal car...I don't even care if the new body style comes out in 2 years...an S is an S. Just enjoy the luxury I suppose.

Yea, main issue with Cayenne V6 is that its a VW engine...that just feels akward, if it were Porsche designed form the start, its a different deal, tolerances will be tighter, alloys will be different. Plus I want luxury.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

A lot of this isn't making sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
A lot of this isn't making sense to me.
+1

I'm still trying to figure out how one cross-shops between a Cayenne and an S-Class.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #17
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
+1

I'm still trying to figure out how one cross-shops between a Cayenne and an S-Class.
And going from an entry level exec sedan to a top-segment luxury sedan while skipping the midsize class altogether because they're not "luxurious" enough. Also don't understand what owning anything lesser than an S-Class/Panamera has to do with "rice rocketing past M3s and C-Classes".
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Who owns what in the family?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Who owns what in the family?
That is none of your concern. The question was regarding choice of comfortable luxury vehicles, nothing more. The Cayenne is no longer being considered, for many of the reasons stated in this thread. The reason for cross shopping it was because the Porsche driving experience was so impressive, I assumed they could replicate that on an SUV and provide luxury.

Either address the topic or excuse yourself from this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ok there homeboy, whatever. No need to get the panties bunched up. Get the S-Class because "such are the demands of life" that you'll need to cosset yourself at such a young age.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

This place is a trip.
      08-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
And going from an entry level exec sedan to a top-segment luxury sedan while skipping the midsize class altogether because they're not "luxurious" enough. Also don't understand what owning anything lesser than an S-Class/Panamera has to do with "rice rocketing past M3s and C-Classes".
Quote:
Ok there homeboy, whatever. No need to get the panties bunched up. Get the S-Class because "such are the demands of life" that you'll need to cosset yourself at such a young age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
I think I'll likely end up buying an S450 short wheel base. Gonna miss a driver's car, but such are the demands of life!
Then why the S450 SWB? Why not a smoother S550 with optional ABC suspension (or even a 600.) The SWB has more of a choppy ride in comparison. Plus the S Class is very heavy and the extra power is sometimes truly needed. A bigger motor doesn't mean you have to drive fast. I drive my AMG (and even the P-cars) like a grandpa a lot of the time. So why not get something truly "luxurious?" That said, why not even go better than the S Class?

I'm also confused. What exactly are these demands of life? From reading your earlier posts, having a Mercedes is important to you and perhaps just having one is all that actually matters. Does the car itself even matter to you? No offense, but maybe take off those luxury rose tinted glasses for a moment and ask yourself if you sincerely want to drive and own the S Class Mercedes. I once wanted to buy a big luxurious house in Malibu but I realized it had rooms I would never use and just the upkeep alone plus property taxes made it a totally silly proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
This place is a trip.
No kidding.
Appreciate 0