Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > M6 reps... Yes? No?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
Lc 818 is also my choice, after winter I am buying those bad boys but the question is black or hyper silver on my black 335ix?
Hypersilver IMO they will stand out more.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #24
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #25
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Not all replica wheels are bad in that sense as there are different ways in which wheels are manufactured. In terms of the hierarchy of quality and strength the list goes from lowest to highest as follows: gravity cast, low-pressure cast, flow form, and forged. Take into consideration also that all of the wheels that come standard from BMW straight from the factory are Low-pressure cast at a minimum.

Though not enforced, there are quality standards to govern the production of wheels. Some countries though, like Germany and Japan, have government regulations requiring aftermarket wheels to meet certain criteria and ensure proper fit. The United States has taken steps to establish guidelines but it will be some time before they can enact regulation of any kind. Consequently, all wheels are not made the same. The performance of an alloy wheel is a direct result of the manufacturing technique employed.

Gravity casting is the most basic process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold utilizing the earth's gravity to fill the mold. Gravity casting offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. Since the process relies on gravity to fill the mold, the aluminum is not as densely packed in the mold as some other casting processes. Often gravity cast wheels will have a higher weight to achieve the required strength.

Low pressure casting uses positive pressure to move the molten aluminum into the mold quicker and achieve a finished product that has improved mechanical properties (more dense) over a gravity cast wheel. Low-pressure casting has a slightly higher production cost over gravity casting. Low pressure is the most common process approved for aluminum wheels sold to the O.E.M. market. Low-pressure cast wheels offer a good value for the aftermarket as well. Some companies offer wheels that are produced under a higher pressure in special casting equipment to create a wheel that is lighter and stronger than a wheel produced in low pressure. Once again in the quest for lighter weight, there is a higher cost associated with the process.

With that being said, we do carry different brands of M6 wheels. If you guys are after something that is quality, then I would recommend the M6 type 346. The M6 type 346 wheels are low pressure cast and do utilize the same manufacturing process as OEM wheels. With that being said, the M6 type 346 wheels are definitely strong enough for everyday street driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #26
SixShotEspressO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 524td R.I.P. 2011 335d

wow bro, feeble minds are so easily swayed by the force. While I believe in quality over quantity, I also say if you have a plan, stick with it.

Maybe, just maybe this Dude had a plan and would be in a better position to get what he really wants later. But all you Jedi have effectively changed that course of action.

The force is strong on this site.
11, 335d/Steptronic/Le Mans Blue /Black Leather/ZMP M Sport Package/heated front seats /Aluminium Trim /nav system/Harman Kardon surround sound system/i-Pod/USB Adaptor/M Steering wheel/w paddle shifters/Comfort access/6NR BMW Apps/Premium Package
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:58 AM   #27
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

With 18" it may be ok to go with low-pressure cast replica wheels. The problem is when you go 19" or higher, you lose a lot of rubber protecting the rims, and so they are much more prone to bend and cracks. Shopping for 19" is when you need to make sure you go with a quality brand. I believe most (or all?) BMW OEM 19" for the E9x are forged. Style 230, 225m, 313, 269 are all forged.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #28
Projekt_BooGie
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
what everyone else said. I would suggest strongly to lurk around the 6 series side and wait for a set of OEM M6 wheels to be sold if you want them, or even the m3 side and get a set of 220m wheels or other wheel. I went that way and got miro wheels, and in over 10 years of driving never bent a wheel until those. And I've hit some really bad holes before the little small one I hit to bend the miro wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #29
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Used OEM is better than New aftermarket. Check out this site:

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

Cheers!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #30
spurzzfan21
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

no
Appreciate 0