E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > US Air Intake Mod (EURO MOD) Pics Inside.

10-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #221
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
A local guys Euro mod using Honda intake, yes its dirty his car is a super daily driver & bulletproof weekend racer

He even has the Intake elbow like the Rev Motoring pipe

basically he did what is described here around the Maf, but i think his pipe is a smaller diameter to TB than oem...

Idea credit to @mikal7
Isn't this just sucking in hot air from the engine constantly?
      10-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #222
mikal7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i / Rx7 Turbo

I haven't measured intake air temps before and after. I'll probably box it up after I do some motor maintenance and clean my dirty engine bay up.

I won't run it down low though as I live in canada and drive this car year round. No need to suck up water. The stock intake is in the same spot it's just boxed.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #223
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

updates?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #224
DrewWphoto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 WRX

Just did this this afternoon. Now I have a serice engine light and surging throttle. Anyone know how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #225
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWphoto View Post
Just did this this afternoon. Now I have a serice engine light and surging throttle. Anyone know how to fix this?
What MAF did you use? Your stock one or the one that came with the Euro intake?
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #226
DrewWphoto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
What MAF did you use? Your stock one or the one that came with the Euro intake?
The stock one. Wait, the DIY didn't say anything about switching the MAF
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #227
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWphoto View Post
The stock one. Wait, the DIY didn't say anything about switching the MAF
Use the MAF from your original air box.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #228
DrewWphoto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
Use the MAF from your original air box.
Yea, that's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #229
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750i

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Did anyone take this air box mod to the dyno? This really sounds like the best way to go for an intake upgrade from everything I've read
      01-18-2016, 02:27 AM   #230
AcridPorpoise
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Wagon

Just completed this mod today almost exactly as OP did it. I think my stock box was a bit different because I ended up having to cut a ~2x4 rectangular section out so the P3 would fit. I also used a silicon sealant between the backs of the plastic adapters for a guaranteed seal and a hose clamp around the base of the filter.

Sounds great, performance is up. Best $50 mod I've ever done!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #231
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
OK, so this mod is all well & good if you want to add a cone style filter to the std U.S. airbox - it will provide slightly more filter surface area over the flat style.

-but-

It defeats the main advantage to the Euro airbox of the std IMO

Which is the fact that with the Euro you don't need to remove the ENTIRE airbox, & take it apart to get at the filter - all you do is take off the lid with quick/EZ access to the filter.

So this mod does nothing for making it easier to change the filter, & the difference between cone style filter will not be noticeable power-wise vs. flat filter with charcoal filter delete
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
fravel1644.50
      01-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #232
F22_Raptor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcridPorpoise View Post

Sounds great, performance is up. Best $50 mod I've ever done!
How much better performance vs stock?
      04-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #233
kanuckstuff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sprt Pkg 6MT Blk/Cor

I tried this mod the other day and didn't like the results.

The throttle response was down, car was slower, and the noise was definitely louder, but the noise was a loud droning, no whoosh or induction (i patched over the hole in the airbox I cutout for the blue spectre 9136 P3, which I was under the impression would fit).

The louder noise and decrease in performance really made the car feel bogged down. I put the stock filter back in and the car immediately felt more sprightly.

For reference, my car has the 3 stage manifold and AA headers not tuned yet and I also put in the silicone mishimoto smooth intake boot which doesn't fit great..wouldn't recommend.

Nobody else in the last 11 pages of this thread seems to have the complaints I have. Did I do something wrong here? Why am I the only one who didn't benefit from my filter being cone-shaped? Is it because my car is a e82 and I found this mod in e90post?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #234
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
In all seriousness, for someone who has expensive mods such as AA headers and a 3IM, why do this!?!? Ladies, the panel filter is more than adequate. A cone filter does nothing more! Has anyone in this thread even actually measured the surface area of the cone vs. the stock panel style?

Anyone who does this cone filter mod and claims to have an increase in power is either lying or needs to have their butt re-calibrated. I'm not an aerodynamics scientist, but I would honestly put money down on a car with the panel filter making more power than the cone because I feel that a cone in this airbox is creating some wild turbulence not present with the panel filter.

Finally, SPECTRE filter. Need I say more?? Apparently. Haven't seen them used in any flow tests myself but I doubt they perform spectacularly. Stick with something proven such as MAHLE, K&N, aFe, etc. If your 'performance parts' come from the rice section of Autozone, I doubt they're going to do much good.

I hate to be blunt, but with more and more younger people being able to afford these BMWs (not saying that's anyone here in particular), I bet more and more people will be wanting to do this mod. This post is my PSA: DON'T DO IT! Buy a silicone intake elbow, a new panel filter if you must (though it won't make any difference in power), cut out the charcoal filter, and if you really want to get your hands dirty, do the PROVEN "CAI" mod based off the Dinan system.

kanuckstuff: I'm sorry if this feels aimed at you in particular, because it really isn't. I'm being harsh so that hopefully others won't go down your path and basically ruin their stock airbox for nothing.
      04-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #235
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Jeeze I just read the first page of this thread and it almost made me sick lol. So glad this community has come a long way in the last 7 years.. even if it is a bit more 'dick-ish' lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #236
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
In all seriousness, for someone who has expensive mods such as AA headers and a 3IM, why do this!?!? Ladies, the panel filter is more than adequate. A cone filter does nothing more! Has anyone in this thread even actually measured the surface area of the cone vs. the stock panel style?

Anyone who does this cone filter mod and claims to have an increase in power is either lying or needs to have their butt re-calibrated. I'm not an aerodynamics scientist, but I would honestly put money down on a car with the panel filter making more power than the cone because I feel that a cone in this airbox is creating some wild turbulence not present with the panel filter.

Finally, SPECTRE filter. Need I say more?? Apparently. Haven't seen them used in any flow tests myself but I doubt they perform spectacularly. Stick with something proven such as MAHLE, K&N, aFe, etc. If your 'performance parts' come from the rice section of Autozone, I doubt they're going to do much good.

I hate to be blunt, but with more and more younger people being able to afford these BMWs (not saying that's anyone here in particular), I bet more and more people will be wanting to do this mod. This post is my PSA: DON'T DO IT! Buy a silicone intake elbow, a new panel filter if you must (though it won't make any difference in power), cut out the charcoal filter, and if you really want to get your hands dirty, do the PROVEN "CAI" mod based off the Dinan system.

kanuckstuff: I'm sorry if this feels aimed at you in particular, because it really isn't. I'm being harsh so that hopefully others won't go down your path and basically ruin their stock airbox for nothing.
I cut up a stock filter when I first got my car - the surface area is huge (I had the measurements somewhere, but unfolded it was like 8 feet long). Yeah, no way those itty bitty cone filters are going to gain anything - except maybe by doing a poorer job of filtering..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #237
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

yeh... got the euro box for ease of access.
nothing more, nothing less.
With the pro dry s filter, definitely sounds nice...
But getting in and out of the box in 5 minutes is the best part.
      04-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #238
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
yeh... got the euro box for ease of access.
nothing more, nothing less.
With the pro dry s filter, definitely sounds nice...
But getting in and out of the box in 5 minutes is the best part.
Hey, it looks cleaner too! You know, for when you hard park and pop the hood for the ladies..... "check out that extra air pump, N51 baby!"
Noir883.00
      04-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #239
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Quote:
Hey, it looks cleaner too! You know, for when you hard park and pop the hood for the ladies..... "check out that extra air pump, N51 baby!"
"Don't worry, baby, low compression happens to everyone."
Noir883.00
      04-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #240
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
Quote:
"Don't worry, baby, low compression happens to everyone."
LMAO
YELLING IN THE CAR ATM
Phyrexia502.50
      04-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #241
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuckstuff View Post
I tried this mod the other day and didn't like the results.

The throttle response was down, car was slower, and the noise was definitely louder, but the noise was a loud droning, no whoosh or induction (i patched over the hole in the airbox I cutout for the blue spectre 9136 P3, which I was under the impression would fit).

The louder noise and decrease in performance really made the car feel bogged down. I put the stock filter back in and the car immediately felt more sprightly.

For reference, my car has the 3 stage manifold and AA headers not tuned yet and I also put in the silicone mishimoto smooth intake boot which doesn't fit great..wouldn't recommend.

Nobody else in the last 11 pages of this thread seems to have the complaints I have. Did I do something wrong here? Why am I the only one who didn't benefit from my filter being cone-shaped? Is it because my car is a e82 and I found this mod in e90post?
how did you make that patch fit the airbox so perfectly?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #242
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Looks like Kydex. Widely used by guys to create gun holsters, the material can be formed and then hardens to be very strong and durable. Surely he also used some sealant as well around the edges.
Appreciate 0