E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clutch Squeal (not when fully depressed)

04-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
nyknickfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i Sedan

Clutch Squeal (not when fully depressed)

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a repost, but I searched as much as I could for my exact issue but wasn't able to find anything. I just bought my CPO '08 335i back in February and lately I've been noticing squealing from the clutch pedal only when I am about to depress the pedal.

There is no squeal while the clutch is being pressed and released. The squeal only occurs when there is slight pressure on the pedal. I am curious whether or not this is simply wear and tear on the pedal or a common issue. The reason I am concerned is because in my previous car the clutch assembly has snapped on me two times while driving on the highway. It is a very scary feeling and do not wish to experience it again

There is still a long time before my first scheduled maintenance, so I would like to know if a trip to the dealer would be necessary, if there is a quick fix for the issue, or if there is no issue at all.

Just an FYI. I am pretty experienced at driving stick (5 years) and I have not been harsh on the transmission whatsoever.

Any input will be appreciated. Like I said before, I'm sorry if this is a repost, but I searched throughout the forum and did not find anything relative to a clutch squeal without fully depressing the pedal. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
nyknickfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i Sedan

Just for anyone who read this thread and felt like they might have the same concern as I did. I went to the dealership and asked them about it. They explained it to me in the service invoice as....

"...Noise is coming from the plunger located within the clutch housing - noise is normal - no repairs made at this time"

They also explained to me that the hydraulic nature of the clutch can cause the noise. If there ever happens to be an issue later on as a result of this...I'll keep you guys posted on this thread in the future
Appreciate 0