E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Few track questions please

05-12-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Few track questions please

I have searched for the past 45 minutes under atleast 15 different searches and found NOTHING. Basically i want to know what are the requirments to track ones car? I know a helmet, common sense, and value of ones life are all needed. However i wanted to know the following:
1)Is their age requirment for tracking a car?
2)Are classes required? If so, does it have to be the 2 day classes or can it just be any performance driving school?
3)What is the average cost of tracking your car for 1 day?
4)I probably could have searched this, but just out of curiosity, my suspension is stock except for H&R sport springs, is that acceptable at a track?

Thank you everyone!
-Sam
p.s. if your'e going to flame dont even bother posting.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

I don't know who the local BMWCCA region for you might be, but here is a link to some info on mine:

http://www.delvalbmwcca.org/schools.html

Here are my responses however:

1. Usually 18+ years of age
2. No classes required. Just show up and be ready to learn and have some fun.
3. I've never done a 1-day event. I usually do 3-day weekend events. Costs do add up:
- Registration $300-400
- Tech Inspection ( including brake fluid flush) $100
- Gas (maybe a tank a day or a little more + to and from track) $200/wknd
- Hotel since most tracks around me are out in the middle of nowhere $300
- Track Insurance (mine was $1200 annually & I do about 15 days per year) $240/wknd
- Throw in some food & beverage $100+

All those costs go down if you're just going for a day, but you will have much more fun over a 3-day weekend where you get more seat time and a better opportunity to learn a track. A first day to the track can be a frustrating thing. I've struggled with some tracks the entire first day. It wasn't until 2nd day that I really started to anticipate turns and feel comfortable at speed.

4. Stock suspension is fine.

Good luck Sam. Have fun!
      05-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

Hi Sam,

You are in California so your choices are plentiful! And FWIW there is very little flaming in this sub-forum...

You need to be a licensed driver. Most groups do not allow <18 year olds.

If you elect to run a BMW CCA school, there are 4 groups - A Advanced, B Advanced-Intermediate, C Intermediate and D Beginner. By default, MOST people end-up in the D group. Most companies that run schools offer at the minimum a beginner and advanced group.

You want to find a company that offers all day one-on-one instruction. BMW CCA is one of those.

Cost varies widely. Skip Barber and Bob Bondurant are near the top of cost because they provide everything, including the car. Also pricey is http://www.drivingconcepts.com but IMHO this is one of the BEST schools around. Great instruction, small class sizes, good customer service and good safety. Prices generally hover between $500 and $1,500 depending on the venue.

BMW CCA offers many track opportunities throughout the year. In fact, on May 30, 2008 the Central California chapter is hosting a school at Buttonwillow raceway (see http://www.cccbmwcca.org ). This school is priced RIGHT and offers great instruction. Unfortunately it is full and there is a wait list. CCA schools are usually around $500.

Shy away from any organization offering really cheap track days with little instruction. You want to be on track with other people in expensive cars who probably are just as interested as you are in not bending their cars...

As to the particulars of the car itself...Some guys run old BMW 2002's. Some guys bring brand new cars. Some folks modify their cars to the hilt, most run bone stock. You want to bring a car that will not break under the strain of running on the track. The car should have fresh brake fluid, decent tires (which you don't mind ruining), a solid cooling system and good seat belts. Performance modifications at a beginner level are worthless as the car will not be the limiting factor.

I really hope that helps! Best of luck and enjoy!!
      05-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Check out NASA for inexpensive track days. http://www.nasaproracing.com. No prior experience required. I did a one day HPDE at Watkins Glen. It cost me $245 for the day. If you run with HPDE 1 they require you to have an instructor on every run which is great because by the end of the day I really had a feel for what I was doing. They split the day up into classroom and track and all in all the day is just down right educational. Also, I second what 2e9x's said. Make sure you have fresh fluids, that your brakes are perfect, your tires have tread, the wheel bolts are tight, and just all in all your car is in good condition. Have Fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
There are lots of groups that do excellent instruction..and numerous events where it is assumed you have been on track before. to the OP, get with a local guy in your area...another 335i guy..and go to an event they are going to. I am all for learning how to drive safely on the track at one of this schools..than learning it the hard way on city streets. I dunno about any of you other guys..but I have lost several friends to accidents on city streets. I dont want to do that again. That is one reason why I instruct. I get alot of enjoyment in getting a 18-20 year old student..and being able to give them the benefit of my years of driving (a ton). I have a link to an article I wrote several years ago...it is not perfect..and it needs to be updated...but there still is a lot of good information there...it is posted below. Stay safe out there.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc9.shtml

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

go with BMW CCA- you can google for the websites of the local chapters, LA, san diego, Central coast, golden gate. all put on good schools with both in car and classroom instruction.

LA is doing Willow springs May 31 and June 1 - maybe still time to sign up.
      05-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Thank you everyone for the amazing answers!!
However seeing as you must be 18+ to go to a majority of these events, i guess i will not be able to attend.
I will look around for events that are okay for under 18, because i really do want to be able to use my car without risking myself or others lives on the streets.
-Sam
p.s. If anybody has any advice for places that will accept under 18 for performance driving/racing, please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam12345 View Post
Thank you everyone for the amazing answers!!
However seeing as you must be 18+ to go to a majority of these events, i guess i will not be able to attend.
I will look around for events that are okay for under 18, because i really do want to be able to use my car without risking myself or others lives on the streets.
-Sam
p.s. If anybody has any advice for places that will accept under 18 for performance driving/racing, please let me know.

Russell Racing at Infineon raceway has a Highway Survival course for teenagers. Here is a link to it:

http://www.jimrussellusa.com/index.p...=74&Itemid=115

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Russell Racing at Infineon raceway has a Highway Survival course for teenagers. Here is a link to it:

http://www.jimrussellusa.com/index.p...=74&Itemid=115
Thank you for your time. However i looked at the link and it seems of little need for me. It seems as though it is more so for un-confident drivers and teaches the bare basics. Not to sound cocky, but i do not think i need that what-so-ever.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam12345 View Post
Thank you for your time. However i looked at the link and it seems of little need for me. It seems as though it is more so for un-confident drivers and teaches the bare basics. Not to sound cocky, but i do not think i need that what-so-ever.
They teach you to avoid being in accidents..and car control skills..you will need that no matter where you go. Sorry, at 17, you really cant be THAT experienced. I have 11 years of experience driving on tracks.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
They teach you to avoid being in accidents..and car control skills..you will need that no matter where you go. Sorry, at 17, you really cant be THAT experienced. I have 11 years of experience driving on tracks.
oh dont get me wrong, maybe i read it the wrong way. What i saw was

"Our Highway Survival program is designed for teen drivers or for drivers that need to build their confidence. Russell's staff of professional instructors takes the time to carefully form a foundation of driver skills and confidence to utilize in the many situations drivers face on the roads. As a bonus the four-hour course time can be applied to the 60 hour pre-license driving time requirement for minors."

I am very comfortable and have driven countless hours of freeways, avoiding morons swerving into my lane and accidents happening infront of my eyes. However, maybe i am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #12
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

Hi Sam,

This is not intended to be a flame, so please do not take it that way. At 17 I thought I knew how to drive. I was very confident in my abilities. Then at 18 my dad took me to Skip Barber. Guess what...I learned at the time that I was a really crappy driver. That is why I go to as many driver's schools as I can now (at the age of 40)...even though I am now in the advanced groups I still believe that I have a ton to learn.

Go to these street survival classes. Also look at drivingconcepts.com as they have a teen driving course. Believe me...EVERY 17 year old is a terrible driver. The fact that most of them don't know that is proof positive.

Another option for you to get started is BMW CCA auto-x. You can participate in those under 18 if your parent signs a waiver. The next event for the LA chapter is June 22, 2008. Auto-x is a great way to learn car control skills in a very safe environment. If you are interested in attending that please keep your eye on this forum. I will post an announcement soon.