E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Swinging Oil Temps normal?

03-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
NJ65
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite 335i

Swinging Oil Temps normal?

Hello all,

just a quick question. I live in the San Gabriel area of So. Cal. For the last few days, the cars oil temps have been reading lower then normal. Usually, it hovers in the 240F range for around town driving and when I'm stuck in traffic, and around 230F if cruising on the freeway. However, the last few days, even being stuck in traffic and all, the cars oil temps have dropped as low as 200F to about 250F depending on how I'm driving. I can actually see the temps go up and down depending if I'm at a stop or grinding 1st & 2nd due to traffic. I'm somewhat worried because usually, the car has always stayed right around 240F when warmed up, even when I was doing multiple dyno pulls. So far, no codes, cels, or limps ever. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about why this could happen. Thanks alot and any ideas are definitely appreciated. I hope I don't have to take into dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
stamd1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 535xi

I had a similar problem. My car normally operates at 230-240F. At random times, the auxillary fan would come on and cool the engine to around 180-200F. I took the car into the dealer who diagnosed a faulty auxillary fan code. They also replaced the fan because it was excessively noisy.
Appreciate 0