E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Advice Needed: Purchasing a car out of state

08-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
Ok now that the logistics have been covered. Whatcha buying?
Haha. still in the midst of negotiations. but it could swing any way.! Will post pics when on pickup!!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer35 View Post
If i bring my plates over when picking up the car, i wont need his right?

Physically you are correct, legally... no. Yes you can put your plates on but you can't transfer them until you have the title.

Make sure you put insurance on it, that would suck if something happened when driving it back and it wasn't insured.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

If he still has a loan on it, it's just as easy to buy. Are you getting a loan from your bank? If so, they will work with his bank directly, pay off the loan, get the title, then send you a check for the difference so you can go up there and give it to him. If you're paying cash, you can still work directly with his bank. They can release the title at the branch. Key is to work directly with the bank, don't rely on him to get you the title.

I would be hesitant to put tags on the car if they're not officially registered for that car. If you get pulled over, they can run the tags and see that they're not for the car you're driving which can cause issues. My insurance company specifically told me not to do it. I live in GA which doesn't issue temporary tags and I can't transfer a tag without the title. I bought a car in NY, and just put a sign on the back that said "in transit". Made it 985 miles without issue, even had a trooper follow me for a while then pull off. If they had pulled me over, I had all the documents.

Most insurance companies will automatically cover a new car purchase for a set amount of time, it's either 7 or 14 days. Just call them first to tell them when you're buying the car and they'll note your policy. Mine didn't charge me until I officially registered it after bringing it home.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
If he still has a loan on it, it's just as easy to buy. Are you getting a loan from your bank? If so, they will work with his bank directly, pay off the loan, get the title, then send you a check for the difference so you can go up there and give it to him. If you're paying cash, you can still work directly with his bank. They can release the title at the branch. Key is to work directly with the bank, don't rely on him to get you the title.

I would be hesitant to put tags on the car if they're not officially registered for that car. If you get pulled over, they can run the tags and see that they're not for the car you're driving which can cause issues. My insurance company specifically told me not to do it. I live in GA which doesn't issue temporary tags and I can't transfer a tag without the title. I bought a car in NY, and just put a sign on the back that said "in transit". Made it 985 miles without issue, even had a trooper follow me for a while then pull off. If they had pulled me over, I had all the documents.

Most insurance companies will automatically cover a new car purchase for a set amount of time, it's either 7 or 14 days. Just call them first to tell them when you're buying the car and they'll note your policy. Mine didn't charge me until I officially registered it after bringing it home.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #27
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post

I told the seller to provide me his bank information, and i will get two money orders. One addressed to the bank for money owed (pay off the loan), and the difference b/w sales price and loan payoff would be addressed to him. Would that work?

He also told me his bank had said they can release the title within 24 hours after the loan has been paid off.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #28
R8TD-M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
E90 328Xi  [0.00]
E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
1997 Toyota 4Runner  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer35 View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys.

To sum up all the advice:
1. Get an inspection done on the car.
2. Payment of loan to bank directly.
3. Remainder upon delivery of car.
4. Delivery of car ONLY when Clear Title is available.
5. Bill of Sale, copy of his registration, copy of my insurance.
6. RMV.
I hate to be a debbie downer or rain on a parade- but man this really smells like a scam.... Allow me to elaborate... step 2 in your summary is where things really go bad. I am assuming this is a private sale, and no dealer is involved.

(you have now paid off a random persons car, who will, after your money is gone, still retain 100% legal ownership. If the seller wants to pork you, they walk away from the transaction right here, and have the titled car, free and clear, in their own name. You as the "buyer" will have no legally binding documentation to support that this is now "your" car, and the intent of you paying off HIS loan was to support a title & ownership transfer.

My 2 cents.... if you REALLY want this car, you need to talk to an attorney that is familiar with the local laws governing sales of titled property.... I dont recall what state you are buying it from right now, but the lawyer should be able to give you some solid advice, and draw up paperwork that will protect you, for short money-- relative to the purchase price of the car... 2 or 3 hours at their hourly rate seems like a very reasonable price to pay to avoid getting burned.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603N54 View Post
I hate to be a debbie downer or rain on a parade- but man this really smells like a scam.... Allow me to elaborate... step 2 in your summary is where things really go bad. I am assuming this is a private sale, and no dealer is involved.

(you have now paid off a random persons car, who will, after your money is gone, still retain 100% legal ownership. If the seller wants to pork you, they walk away from the transaction right here, and have the titled car, free and clear, in their own name. You as the "buyer" will have no legally binding documentation to support that this is now "your" car, and the intent of you paying off HIS loan was to support a title & ownership transfer.

My 2 cents.... if you REALLY want this car, you need to talk to an attorney that is familiar with the local laws governing sales of titled property.... I dont recall what state you are buying it from right now, but the lawyer should be able to give you some solid advice, and draw up paperwork that will protect you, for short money-- relative to the purchase price of the car... 2 or 3 hours at their hourly rate seems like a very reasonable price to pay to avoid getting burned.
Thanks man i see where your coming from and will work on the sales agreement. But i wont be paying of the sellers bank loan till i take over the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #30
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

I bought my car sight unseen and shipped it from MN. Got a great deal and what got me comfortable was that the car still had a month of bumper to bumper warranty on it (both turbos were replaced under warranty in my first week of ownership).... It's a leap of faith, you send the money first, they get the title over nighted back to you (at least that's what I did)... Talk to the seller on the phone a bunch. Get their work contact info. Make sure you know what they do for a living, where they do it, and how to get in touch with them at work. Most people won't mess around if you have that info (or won't give it out if they plan to mess around).... Not sending all the money is a moot point and doesn't gain you much IMHO.... The most important thing is to go with your gut. If something (anything) feels off about the seller or transaction, find another car )you have plenty of options)... Good luck!

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0