E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Saikou Michi Custom 335i N54 Oil Catch Can Setup

11-21-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thumbs up Saikou Michi Custom 335i N54 Oil Catch Can Setup

Disclaimer: This is not a for sale or group buy thread and is only intended to display a new product, nothing is being sold here.

We all want a quality oil catch can with function and ease. For the past month I have been working with Saikou Michi Co. in a 335i specific oil catch can and we have finally got a finished product. Hope you enjoy the following pictures and product description. Sorry i don't have any actual install pics, for some reason the install pics aren't loading and i removed the can from my car already (returning soon). For more information and ordering check out their homepage at http://saikoumichi.com/ or 335i catch can page http://www.saikoumichi.com/Stage3_N54.htm

The Can:
3” Diameter
6” Tall
“Thin Wall” Technology really makes this can very light although proving to be a quality built can as well. The can has a simple drain function at the turn of the screw located at the bottom of the can. There is an internal baffle and the basic internal picture of the can which can be seen here http://www.saikoumichi.com/OCC_explanation.htm

Hose Size & Why:
Oil Inlet: 3/4”
Clean Outlet: 1/2"
The OEM hose size is approx 3/4" so reducing it to 3/8” like current catch cans might seem too constricting. We used a 3/4" for the oil inlet hose because it is a direct fit. This means no 2 piece plastic adapters, just a simple straight hose to the can which means no worries on oil leakage and oil leaking into spark plug wells. We tried to apply this to the clean outlet hose which is 1” but the setup gave us a very tight fit under the cowl. It does work but has a very, very, tight fit which led us to reduce the original 1” size to 1/2" (no need to worry as this doesn't harm anything, better then reducing even smaller to 3/8" like other catch cans). Yes you have to use a reducer on this hose from 1” to 1/2" but it is clean vapors from the oil catch can so no need to worry. This setup of 3/4" and 1/2” hose has a great fit under the cowl. Both the can and hose have just the right fit in the small space we are provided in the engine bay as well. To help improve install, the nipple on the catch can has been positioned right where the hoses come out under the cowl at a sleek 45 degrees. Measurements and more detailed info can be found here http://www.saikoumichi.com/Stage3_N54_DesignPage.html

The Mounting Kit:
We took the RR mounting kit and revised it to provide a full 1 piece setup. As you can see in the pictures the mounting kit comes with x2 bolts, x2 washers, and x2 screws to securely mount and secure the catch can unlike the RR mounting kit which requires the 2 pieces (bracket and "L" bracket) to be screwed together along with the can.

Customization:
You can order the can in a various array of colors. Also you can change the nipple size to any size you want to fit your needs but by default it is 3/4" and 1/2". Simply e-mail Saikou for more details.

Price:
The price of the can with mounting kit is $125 which includes shipping in 48 states via USPS priority mail shipping.

What You Need To Buy Separately:
all you need is a long piece of 3/4" and 1/2" hose along with a small piece of 1" hose. lastly you need a 1" to 1/2" reducer and a few clamps. all of this which can be bought at your local home depot, lowes, etc hardware store.

Ordering:
Saikou Michi does not use the typical shopping cart on their site so you have to directly e-mail them for purchase.

Questions:
Any questions you might have feel free to e-mail Saikou Michi.

FAQ:
What is a catch can?: A basic catch can is a canister that connects to an engines hoses to trap unwanted fluids. The fluids fall into the canister and stay there until the catch can is drained.

How does this help my engine?: A catch can connected to the PCV valve helps trap blow-by solids that would create carbon build up in your engine, and lower your rated octane levels. Lower octane levels increase your chances for detonation if you are tuned aggressively. A catch can connected to the breather hose would help keep oils from escaping and entering the intercooler in a boosted engine and maintain cooling efficiency.

Will this fit 135i? I don't know. From just looking at the rr catch can they use the same can, mounting kit, etc for the 135 and 335 so i would assume it would still fit for the 135i, but i can't guarentee anything on this.
Attached Images

Last edited by hl0m4n; 11-21-2009 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

looks like a very good alternative
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #3
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Very nice! Looks like another good alternative... only time will tell though whether this OCC is leak proof and holds up well in the long run.

OP: Does the OCC kit come with hoses as well? Any pics?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

of course everything will prove themselves over time but the only reason oil leaked out of current cans was the adapter which we have elminated. there is no where for the oil to go but to the can.

so the only variable is the drain valve located at the bottom of the can which if it does leak is obviously a defective can but based on my analaysis it is a solid piece and works great.
      11-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

RATS!!!!!! I JUST ordered a Saikou Michi stage 1 OCC last week and now you come out with this! I just got notified of it's shipment.

This can is the best one on the market and most affordable for what you get.

You guys ought to check out the internal design in the cans on their website.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
mixxer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xi

Would like to see it installed on a car please.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Is this going to be able to work on the 1er as well or will another bracket need to be made?

Also, does anyone have this installed? I would love to see some pics of it.
      11-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Please post install pics and info on how hoses and clamps fit (more pics). Specific info on hose and clamp types to buy would be helpful.

Looks great, should be mandatory, especially for anyone putting in upgraded FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

nice write up...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Rockstarr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 440ix

hl0m4n, do you think it would be possible to run 3/4" hose for both under the cowl vs 1/2" & 3/4" or would it be too tight.

I will be cutting the vent hose on the stock setup and will be connecting to the 3/4" o-ring adapter not the heater element at the rear air duct. This will allow me to run 3/4" hoses with no adapters if it fits.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

thanks guys for input. but to clarify the kit only comes with can and mounting kit. as stated you will have to buy a few things listed above ie: hoses, clamps, and a reducer from a home depot, lowes, etc.

also im not sure about the 135i. i see the riss racing occ is the same for the 135 as it is to the 335i. so im assuming they use the same bracket, can, etc so this should work, i can't guarentee this though.
      11-22-2009, 02:58 AM   #12
cali_guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 MW M4 DCT

I run a full 1/2 setup with my Mckinney catch can. 1/2 tubing all the way. I used an automotive 1 inch to 1/2 and 3/4 to 1/2 reducer. I also modified my oil out hose from the crankcase to face in the same direction so I would not have to create extreme bends.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 03:19 AM   #13
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Would the Riss Racing hardware (hoses/clamps) work with this?
      11-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
boom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir87 View Post
Would the Riss Racing hardware (hoses/clamps) work with this?
It'll work with the standard stage 1 occ with the 3/8" nipples which is what I ordered. I asked to switch my order though to the n54 can as the nipples are bigger and the flow will be better.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
RATS!!!!!! I JUST ordered a Saikou Michi stage 1 OCC last week and now you come out with this! I just got notified of it's shipment.

This can is the best one on the market and most affordable for what you get.

You guys ought to check out the internal design in the cans on their website.
pretty sure you can get ane exchange
      11-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Major props.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
boom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
pretty sure you can get ane exchange
Well you were right. I emailed SM and they were more than happy to make my exchange. I received the can and hardware and can happily report that it was identical to the photos posted above.

On to the install:
I followed the RR directions and everything went pretty straightforwardly save for me breaking one of the tabs on the PCV clamp. THey're brittle so be careful. I managed to snap it right where it clamps to the ridge on the valve cover. It's impossible to see as no pieces broke off, fully functional as the clamp still works but for the sake of preventing ANY questions, I'll go ahead and replace it.

After getting the parts removed I ran into a couple of stumbling blocks that are not covered in the description above. First and foremost is the tight space and bend required by the 3/4" hose. I bought heater hose from Autozone. Standard stuff but when forced to make that bend it would always crimp. There was nothing I could do. Rotating the PCV valve didn't work and no matter how I routed the line it would crimp. I bought the RR hose kit (to fit my original can) and it would bend fine. The 3/4" wouldn't and now the RR hose wouldnt' work on 3/4" nipple can. I had to buy an elbow to make it work and I then had to shorten the elbow b/c it was pressed against the firewall.

The picture shows where I cut the elbow. Note: this is a 1.25" that my daughter picked up and had to have... I used 3/4" elbows.

THis picture shows the elbow/pcv combo. It just fits.

As you can see it's a really tight fit. I ran out of clamps but the elbow is super tight so I'm not concerned. I'll go back and check it this weekend and make sure it's tight. I'll probably add the clamps then for peace of mind.

The I used a 1" hose with a reducer for the intake line. That worked no problem.

Here's the final install:

All in all, I'm not thrilled with it. I love the Saikou Michi can design and really believe it's the best can out there and certainly affordable. IMO installation instructions and parts should be included with this can. I had to use an extra elbow to make the bend to the can with the 3/4" hose.

If I had seen the routing of the lines from SM, maybe this could have been avoided. I don't see how though.

I'll be communicating to SM so maybe they'll make some changes to the design. I think they could position the nipples more toward the firewall and maybe reduce the volume of the can somewhat. As it is now, it's VERY tight on the side. So much so that the draincock can not be turned as it hits the wall of the engine bay.

Last edited by boom; 11-30-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

nice install, cool that you used the 90 degree adapter. when i installed mine it would have a small dimple in the hose but not something big of a crimp that would get me worried.

as for the can size, i think its good as is. going smaller will require SM to make a custom size, instead i made it easier for him and used a can he already mass produces with a change in hose size.

it might seem big but i think it fits perfect, just flush in the little splace and still allows the hood to be closed np. the can size itself is the same as the rr occ while the height is just a bit taller.

for the installation i didn't want to hassel SM to include the hoses and clamps. the can and mounting kit are all that is needed for installation. simple things as hose and clamps can be easily bought at local hardware store so i didn't bother asking him.

the instruction however there is a youtube diy found here

only rr provides a instruction while all other cans mckinney, etc don't have one so that isn't much of a big deal.

as for the drain, it wasn't intended to be drained while still mounted. to drain you would have to remove the can and drain and reinstall just like the rr occ. most if not all occ require you to uninstall just the can to drain not unless they have a tube leading down somwhere like the bumper to drain which is a more complicated install and not many occ have this. with the drain explained, the size of the can is good as it has higher volume for collection and will require less drain although any can will take awhile to fill up especially on our n54 so imo the size, placement, and fitment is perfect.

the can mount and mounting position is perfect imo the nipple location i can see your point adjusting it a few degrees but at 45 it is still a good placement.

haha and don't worry about the clips that broke mine are even worse

Last edited by hl0m4n; 11-30-2009 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Thanks for the write up. I will be purchasing one fo'sho!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #20
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

cool!
      12-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #21
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Is the only different between the stages the size? Can I just buy stage 1, get the same mounting hardware and be set? I assume I would just have to empty the can more?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #22
boom
United_States
Rep

It's the size and the nipple size range - although you can custom order anything you like.
Appreciate 0