E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Steal yourself a BMW in 3 minutes

07-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Exclamation Steal yourself a BMW in 3 minutes

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...w-in-3-minutes

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712717

Sorry if this is old news to some of you, but it was news to me. I didn't check the UK e90 forum, it must be a hot topic there.

I saw this coming... As a professional software programmer/engineer, the best solution is even mentioned in the first article, IMO:

Quote:
It would be relatively easy for BMW to implement some kind of public/private key system, too, where the OBD remains inaccessible unless it’s activated by the owner’s private key. When getting your car fixed, you would simply lend the private key to the mechanic. As cars become increasingly computerized and digitized, it would certainly be sensible for automakers to take a leaf out of the Silicon Valley playbook and begin hiring white hat hackers to secure their on-board systems.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 07-12-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep
Drives: e90 pre-LCI 335

Garage List
Yeah this was posted somewhere on here last week. Pretty impressive and scary at the same time. I think making the ODB inactive until activated by the owners key is a great solution. I also wonder if that would be something the tuning companies could do with the piggy-back/flash programs they have.
| Cold, "Sport", and Luxury packages | Tinted | OEM Black Lines | JB4 | DCI | ER FMIC | Forge DV's | Custom exhaust with secondary cat delete, Magnaflow mufflers, black Dimisa Tips | Staggered 18" V718's, Matte Black | Flappy Paddles | Titanium CF Trim Wrap | BMW Performance Shifter and E-Brake Handle |
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RequestTheOverhead View Post
Yeah this was posted somewhere on here last week. Pretty impressive and scary at the same time. I think making the ODB inactive until activated by the owners key is a great solution. I also wonder if that would be something the tuning companies could do with the piggy-back/flash programs they have.
seems like something that procede could do but COBB couldnt since when your OBD port is off, you cant flash...so there would have to be some other way to do fix that.