E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What's the latest consensus on preventing carbon valve buildup?

01-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #67
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
I've walnut blasted 15 or so N54 motors over the last 2 1/2 years. Most of the cars were tuned and/or FBO with 30-60k miles on the odometer at the time of first cleaning. The build-up varied from car to car but from what I could tell catch cans really have no affect on preventing carbon build-up. Some of the meth cars had significantly less build-up on their valves but it varied port to port (bad meth distribution?). I first blasted my car at 17k miles (had to test my blasting skills) and my valves were relatively clean. After obtaining a baseline (spotless valves) I decided to try mixing a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner (Seafoam works) into one gallon of distilled water and beating on my car for a few days (additive turned way down, map 3, stock flash). I did this before every oil change (5k interval) and last month at 45k on the car I pulled the intake off to check the ports/valves and they were relatively clean! I did not need to blast them, just a little spray of Top Engine Cleaner in each port and a shot of compressed air had them looking shiny new(ish). The car was FBO minus DP's the entire time with no catch can.
Its interesting, been using Berryman Intake and combustion chamber cleaner by intake manifold induction every oil change. At 60k, wonder how my intake valves look like, car idles smoothly at 600.
      01-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #68
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
I've walnut blasted 15 or so N54 motors over the last 2 1/2 years. Most of the cars were tuned and/or FBO with 30-60k miles on the odometer at the time of first cleaning. The build-up varied from car to car but from what I could tell catch cans really have no affect on preventing carbon build-up. Some of the meth cars had significantly less build-up on their valves but it varied port to port (bad meth distribution?). I first blasted my car at 17k miles (had to test my blasting skills) and my valves were relatively clean. After obtaining a baseline (spotless valves) I decided to try mixing a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner (Seafoam works) into one gallon of distilled water and beating on my car for a few days (additive turned way down, map 3, stock flash). I did this before every oil change (5k interval) and last month at 45k on the car I pulled the intake off to check the ports/valves and they were relatively clean! I did not need to blast them, just a little spray of Top Engine Cleaner in each port and a shot of compressed air had them looking shiny new(ish). The car was FBO minus DP's the entire time with no catch can.
Its interesting, been using Berryman Intake and combustion chamber cleaner by intake manifold induction every oil change. At 60k, wonder how my intake valves look like, car idles smoothly at 600.
+1
Only one way to find out
      01-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #69
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Just did mine first time at 200,000 miles.
damn 200k miles?! how bad was it and are u still running the stock twins ?
Appreciate 0