E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Squeaking Door Rubbers

07-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Squeaking Door Rubbers

My door seals have started to squeak depsite me treating them with WD40 and Gummi Pflege. Previously when this happened the dealer managed to sort it out but surely there must be a DIY method?

Anybody got any suggestions apart from turning up the stereo?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Mine has just been in this week to have this very fault sorted (along with a worn seat bolster but thats another story)

I spoke to the service manager beforehand and asked if I could apply gummi-pflege myself. He advised not to as they use a different product. Anyway, to cut a long story short, they treated the door seals and window rubbers. Fitted anti-rattle tape to the rear 1/4 panel trims, rooflining and parcel shelf as well as adjust the rear doors as apparantly they were loose?!

Car is now as quiet as the day I had it - the service guy did ask me though if I had applied any wax, etc to my door apertures. I said I hadn't but on reflection, I always give the car a quick spray of quick-detail spray after every wash/dry and do wipe the door shuts over, often with the same micro-fibre cloth. I am wondering if I have assisted the creaking by the spray? I am now going to be careful to use just a damp cloth around the door openings.

They also have ordered me a new seat cover and will fit it FOC when it arrives (it is on back order from germany & will take 2 weeks)

Excellent service from BlueBell in Crewe
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Mine has just been in this week to have this very fault sorted (along with a worn seat bolster but thats another story)

I spoke to the service manager beforehand and asked if I could apply gummi-pflege myself. He advised not to as they use a different product. Anyway, to cut a long story short, they treated the door seals and window rubbers. Fitted anti-rattle tape to the rear 1/4 panel trims, rooflining and parcel shelf as well as adjust the rear doors as apparantly they were loose?!

Car is now as quiet as the day I had it - the service guy did ask me though if I had applied any wax, etc to my door apertures. I said I hadn't but on reflection, I always give the car a quick spray of quick-detail spray after every wash/dry and do wipe the door shuts over, often with the same micro-fibre cloth. I am wondering if I have assisted the creaking by the spray? I am now going to be careful to use just a damp cloth around the door openings.

They also have ordered me a new seat cover and will fit it FOC when it arrives (it is on back order from germany & will take 2 weeks)

Excellent service from BlueBell in Crewe
Glad that it's not just me that's got a squeaky/rattling piece of cr8p. I'll maybe have a word with Sytner when I take my car in for the Alpine upgrade group buy and see if they can sort them out. I just seem to sort out/ignore one rattle and another one appears.

The odd thing is that the back doors are fine? I'm pretty sure that I never got any wax on the rubbers but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
pickigar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 530d Msport Xdrive

A quick wipe with Autoglym vinyl and rubber care on the felt part of the door seals sorts it for quite a while. did mine three weeks ago and not a peep since - give it a go!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickigar View Post
A quick wipe with Autoglym vinyl and rubber care on the felt part of the door seals sorts it for quite a while. did mine three weeks ago and not a peep since - give it a go!!!
On the felt part? That feels wrong.Does it not make it go all white?

Do you do the rubber as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

You need to use a different wax.

Silicone based waxes make the seals sqeak. WD40 will get rid of it, but it will come back every time you wash unless you use a non-silicone wax.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

The AutoGlym product mentioned above really does work a treat. You need to make sure that all plastic/rubber surrounding the doors are covered - but once done, the creaks disappear.

The creak can come back by just wiping doors whilst giving it a wash - but with AutoGlym at hand, they are soon sorted.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

You need to be very careful what you use inside the door jamb otherwise you will get squeaks. My last E91 was quiet as a mouse till I put wax inside the door jambs!! Dealer put tape on the joins and it was fine but tbh I caused the squeak
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
clean the rubber off with brake cleaner, then apply the correct doorseal lubricant. which is a bit like vaseline

they will never squeak again

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
clean the rubber off with brake cleaner, then apply the correct doorseal lubricant. which is a bit like vaseline
But isn't.
Petroleum based stuff can knacker rubber based seals in short order BTW.

Use thin silicone grease on the soft seal parts, rub in well and remove excess.
Obtain it from a dive shop or eBay, they use it to lube O-Ring seals, mask seals etc.

Works a treat!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Thanks everybody I will give the AutoGlym a try first as it is easy to get hold of.

When I had a Saab with the same problem the Saab forum recommended silicone spray but now people are saying that this causes the squeaking when it's in wax. All very confusing.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
But isn't.
Petroleum based stuff can knacker rubber based seals in short order BTW.

Use thin silicone grease on the soft seal parts, rub in well and remove excess.
Obtain it from a dive shop or eBay, they use it to lube O-Ring seals, mask seals etc.

Works a treat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
Thanks everybody I will give the AutoGlym a try first as it is easy to get hold of.

When I had a Saab with the same problem the Saab forum recommended silicone spray but now people are saying that this causes the squeaking when it's in wax. All very confusing.
Do NOT put silcone on your door seals.

If you do you will regret it because they will squeak like buggery for the next 100 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

NFS is right, when mine started squeaking it was the first thing the dealer asked me and the fix was to apply tape around the door frame!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 04:52 AM   #14
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
NFS is right, when mine started squeaking it was the first thing the dealer asked me and the fix was to apply tape around the door frame!
Luckily I saw some advice to stop using silicone before I got this car so I have never used it
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
BMW has some special door seal lube gel (which Feels like vaseline) , ive got in on the shelf on my garage, so ill get the part nr and a pic later, and that shit works i promise

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #16
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
BMW has some special door seal lube gel (which Feels like vaseline) , ive got in on the shelf on my garage, so ill get the part nr and a pic later, and that shit works i promise
Erm,
I think you'll find it feels like Silicone grease - "Gummi Pfledge".
BMW part # 82 149 407 015

You can still get it here: http://www.einszett.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege.php

Thin silicone grease is very different to a silicone spray or polish that contains silicone btw.
And it wont make anything squeek, far from it.
I use it on mine and have used it on all my cars, especially good on the folding roofs.

The Honda equivalent is Shin-Etsu grease, and is definately silicone grease.

Last edited by m1bjr; 07-10-2010 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 05:38 AM   #17
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
Quote:
Erm,

Thin silicone grease is very different to a silicone spray or polish that contains silicone btw.
I use it on mine and have used it on all my cars, especially good on the folding roofs.

lol, no im quite sure its not just gummi pflege

here you go .. a litte schooling for you

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Erm,

As I said in post #2, BMW are not recommending Gummi-Pfelge to cure this problem - my service manager advised me not to apply it, and to book it in for them to apply their newer alternative.

I will find out what was used on mine last week, I can't remember the name they said now, but think it's the same as Mallard is recommending. It does leave a vaseline type coating on the rubbers - my car has been transformed and is now creak free
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
think it may begin with "C" , but that is now out of prod. and replaced with the stuff i have.

Its good and doesnt dry

There is a thread on the post somewhere from aaaages ago, about the product that BMW secretly uses

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Has anybody found out for defo what BMW recommend, mine is driving me nuts now.
Cheers guys.
      07-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
firebod
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320d edition M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
I have just got mine back from Vines gatwick with this very same problem. the question was the same 'what wax do you use? has it got silicone in it? the fix was as above with the magic teflon tape. Has worked a treat and all the squeaks have gone. Trouble is that where they have tried to clean the trim they have scratched the hell out of the gloss black trim, with the metal showing through in places, and they have scratched the paint just above something chronic. I was not impressed to say the least. so they are replacing the gloss trims when i get back from my hols next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #22
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebod View Post
I have just got mine back from Vines gatwick with this very same problem. the question was the same 'what wax do you use? has it got silicone in it? the fix was as above with the magic teflon tape. Has worked a treat and all the squeaks have gone. Trouble is that where they have tried to clean the trim they have scratched the hell out of the gloss black trim, with the metal showing through in places, and they have scratched the paint just above something chronic. I was not impressed to say the least. so they are replacing the gloss trims when i get back from my hols next week.
I had my car in to get the Alpine HiFi upgrade and I asked the dealer what they recommended. Got the same answer - Teflon Tape. I'm now booked in next Wednesday to get it done under warranty. I've already got a clear tape running along the top of the door but my current squeaks are down the side so will be interesting to see what they do.
Appreciate 0