E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help diagnosing engine problem.

01-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
cschiavoni
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daenerys - blk 2011 328xi

Help diagnosing engine problem.

I was having rough idle issues a while back, replaced spark plugs and ignition coils. Fixed the rough idle problem but then I had a low whine, that eventually turned into a scream from the engine with a check engine light throwing a camshaft sensor code. So the VANOS was replaced, sensor was replaced and new valve cover. Engine fine for a bit, then more codes/engine stalled and wouldn't come back on. Had it towed to my mechanic who told me to call BMW and see if I was still under warranty, fearing the worse. Turns out I was under emissions warranty so had it towed there and thankfully it was a problem the warranty covered, the VANOS bolts were bad (there was a recall on them I was unaware of) so that was replaced and the engine damage resulting from it fixed which involved taking off valve cover, retrieving the bolts, fixing an oil leak, engine timing, intake and outtake VANOS and replacing valve cover.

Got it back and it's fine, no codes, EXCEPT now it's shifting late/hard (automatic transmission) and gas mileage is down. I just know once again it's not driving how it should be. Looking for any ideas.

Also want to mention that an old mechanic who will never touch any of my cars again put non-synthetic oil in my engine, either mistakenly or on purpose, and told me it was synthetic. This was done on multiple occasions in between me putting correct oil in myself and that caused a lot of oil buildup and excessive sludge. The oil has been changed twice since that problem was discovered.

2011 328xi
SULEV
79k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Try resetting the transmission adaptations, after all that work and things being replaced it may be as simple as that. Just Google auto tranny reset
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
Rsoxs19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
Try resetting the transmission adaptations, after all that work and things being replaced it may be as simple as that. Just Google auto tranny reset
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=335i+auto+transmission+reset
      01-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsoxs19 View Post
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
cschiavoni
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daenerys - blk 2011 328xi

Thanks, will try that ASAP!
Appreciate 0