E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > anyone with RFTs switched to NON RFTs? Please advise.

01-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

anyone with RFTs switched to NON RFTs? Please advise.

I have an 07 e90 335xi with the 17 inch wheels and Potenza RFTs. The tires are horrible... they make lots of noise (even after the dealer just replaced the front tires for the feathering recall) and every small bump I hit feels like I damaged my kidney. Me and my wife both drive the car and we find outselves looking to avoid every tiny pothole because of the bone jarring ride. As many of you know the roads in NYC are very bad... but I'm suffering here and thats ONLY with 17 inch wheels/tires.

A few days ago I hit a major pothole in Staten Island (middle lane of staten island expressway Brooklyn bound)... it was so bad that I had to pull over and check that my transmission hasnt fallen out.... and of course the drivers front tire sidewall had a huge bubble...

I have the Auto Club warranty and I can get it replaced but I'm wondering if I should replace all tires with NON run flat tires.

- Has anyone switched from 17's or 18's with RFT to NON RFT tires? If so which brand model did you go with?
-Can you describe the difference it has made...

I cant take this anymore... I'm not enjoying the power of the car because I have to drive so damn slow to do slalom runs around all the potholes...
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Theres quite a few people who have(actually most) and you can do a better search in the wheel tire section.

I myself have switched from the 18" rfts to 19" regular tires all around and I feel they protect the wheels much better with the softer sidewall. I went with the general exclaim tires for year round use. Cant beat them for their price.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
MMakoto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lookin'

i have the 18" rfts w/ sport suspension, they actually handle softer than i thought. if you only have 17s w/o sports, then i really can't imagine how bad of a ride you're getting.

as for switching to non rft, it will be a softer ride due to the softer tires, but you'll need to think about the fact that there are no spare tires in your trunk anymore. but if that's not a concern to you, then you could up it to 19" w/ non rfts, which a lotta members including myself who did it. there are still more concerns as to upping your wheels/tires, but don't wanna scare you or anything. i suggest you read the wheel/tire section to learn a little more about it. like hyperm3 said.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

Hyper M3... thanks for the info but I just saw that the general exlaim are an Ultra High Performance Summer tire... I need an al season tire...

once again thanks for the info guys
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
Hyper M3... thanks for the info but I just saw that the general exlaim are an Ultra High Performance Summer tire... I need an al season tire...

once again thanks for the info guys
If you look even closer, its the only UHP that is M&S rated FTW!!! Trust me, I got them because I will use them year round. So far in the couple snow storms we had they have performed flawlessly.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
jhilsinho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I 07

Went to 20's on ContiSportContact3, 245 front, 295 rear. No ride or suspension complaints here...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
slick101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
I have an 07 e90 335xi with the 17 inch wheels and Potenza RFTs. The tires are horrible... they make lots of noise (even after the dealer just replaced the front tires for the feathering recall) and every small bump I hit feels like I damaged my kidney. Me and my wife both drive the car and we find outselves looking to avoid every tiny pothole because of the bone jarring ride. As many of you know the roads in NYC are very bad... but I'm suffering here and thats ONLY with 17 inch wheels/tires.

A few days ago I hit a major pothole in Staten Island (middle lane of staten island expressway Brooklyn bound)... it was so bad that I had to pull over and check that my transmission hasnt fallen out.... and of course the drivers front tire sidewall had a huge bubble...

I have the Auto Club warranty and I can get it replaced but I'm wondering if I should replace all tires with NON run flat tires.

- Has anyone switched from 17's or 18's with RFT to NON RFT tires? If so which brand model did you go with?
-Can you describe the difference it has made...

I cant take this anymore... I'm not enjoying the power of the car because I have to drive so damn slow to do slalom runs around all the potholes...
i just got the 19 inch m6 reps with non rft's...i just put it on a couple of hours ago... i took it for a drive for about 20 miles and the difference is very significant....eventhough 19's the ride feels a lot better and softer... i have to get the allighment done... i'm guessing it's going to get better....the only downside in getting rims and non rft tires is that u dont have a spare for a flat... but u do have road side assistance... just have to wait for them to get to u... if u can live past that then ur fine...

besides, by what exit on si expressway was the bump... was it by the bradley exit... i live in si... i just want to be aware of the pot hole... dont want to run into it...