E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Getting off baked-on brake dust?

07-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #23
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Wow this is one wacky thread some weird a$$ comments.

For one you can use a clay bar on any painted surface, our wheels are painted!!! Just have a separate one for your wheels.

Two its break dust, I would bet money on it. My Mom's 5 series is a PITA and these are my usual steps.

1. Spray P21's Gel Concentrated wheel cleaner on it.
2. Come back in 10 minutes
3. Wash it with a sheepskin mitt
4. Get out the clay bar and go to town.

It’s the only way I can get them clean, and its always the front ones that I have trouble with. Try the clay bar again, it just needs some more attention. Lots of lube and use some pressure.

Thanks Chris

PS These steps are only for OEM wheels. Do not use clay on non painted wheels.
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 04:45 AM   #24
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsebrklyn

For one you can use a clay bar on any painted surface, our wheels are painted!!! Just have a separate one for your wheels.

Two its break dust, I would bet money on it. My Mom's 5 series is a PITA and these are my usual steps.

It’s the only way I can get them clean, and its always the front ones that I have trouble with. Try the clay bar again, it just needs some more attention. Lots of lube and use some pressure.

Thanks Chris

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to put aside a few hours tomorrow to clean my car after I get it tinted (driving down to Bradenton to get it tinted around 3PM) as the tinting guys usually make a mess with the soap and water they use so I'll make sure I set aside an hour of that time to work on the front passenger side wheel. I also have to clay the rear passenger side wheel as it's a little rough from the non-OEM clear coat that was put on there. Instead of the P21S gel wheel cleaner, I'll use Pinnacle's Gel Wheel Cleaner as that's what I've got. Just got the stuff in a few days ago and haven't tried it yet. That should work just as good, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 06:48 AM   #25
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

I was gonna wait for David to shime in and set this thread straight but seriously... I keep reading more and more bad and wrong information that I sugegst if you guys don't get the answers you specifically need, to search a detailing forum (Autopia.org and Detailcity.org).... This type of subject has been discussed many many many times in forums like those and has come up with millions of ways.

Although already stated.

YES, you can use claybar on your wheels.

YES, its brakedust. Imagine the heat buildup of a BMW's front wheel. Imagine that heat with an already dirty wheel.

Once you leave your wheel unprotected (yes you can protect your wheels, many many products to choose from) for more than 2-3 weeks with consitent driving and braking, you will get the black specks that become harder and harder to remove...

One suggestion is to use an acid based cleaner. Because our wheels are painted it ok to use (do not use on aluminum or bare metals). When used as per directions, most acid based wheel cleaners brakedown metals and literally melt them right off your wheels (why its not recommended for bare metals)...

Most spray and rinse off wheel cleaners you can find OTC are acid based so don't look to deep into the composition...

Meguiars Hot Rims is one of the good ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #26
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsebrklyn

Thanks Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113
I was gonna wait for David to shime in and set this thread straight but seriously... I keep reading more and more bad and wrong information that I sugegst if you guys don't get the answers you specifically need, to search a detailing forum (Autopia.org and Detailcity.org).... This type of subject has been discussed many many many times in forums like those and has come up with millions of ways.

Although already stated.

YES, you can use claybar on your wheels.

YES, its brakedust. Imagine the heat buildup of a BMW's front wheel. Imagine that heat with an already dirty wheel.

Once you leave your wheel unprotected (yes you can protect your wheels, many many products to choose from) for more than 2-3 weeks with consitent driving and braking, you will get the black specks that become harder and harder to remove...

One suggestion is to use an acid based cleaner. Because our wheels are painted it ok to use (do not use on aluminum or bare metals). When used as per directions, most acid based wheel cleaners brakedown metals and literally melt them right off your wheels (why its not recommended for bare metals)...

Most spray and rinse off wheel cleaners you can find OTC are acid based so don't look to deep into the composition...

Meguiars Hot Rims is one of the good ones.
Sweet lord almighty thank god you guys chimed in. I was reading this thread going "What!?". Here is what *I* do with BMW wheels, your mileage may vary.

1) If the wheel is only moderately dirty I use P21S wheel gel, let dwell, agitate with a brush and spray off.
2) If the wheel is *really* bad, as it is in this case, I use an acid based wheel cleaner. Now these can be dangerous, so you need to use them correctly. I use Meguiars Wheel Brightener, which is essentially the pro (undiluted) hot rims. Dilute 3:1, spray, let dwell 30s, never fails. For a more readily available solution, Poorboys Spray and Rinse is a good idea. Same concept.

As mentioned, use either non-caustic/acidic or *caustic* cleaners on bare metal, not acidic. A couple to look for OTC: Eagle One All Wheel Cleaner (Caustic) or Eagle One Aluminum Wheel Cleaner (non caustic or acidic), or as mentioned, Megs Hot Rims (acidic, dont use on aluminum or chrome).

Oh, and clay is 100% ok on wheels, and it works.

Lastly, get a wheel sealant. Poorboys Wheel Sealant *will* help. I use it on all my customer cars because it makes future cleanings much easier. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #27
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I can't agree more with picus and JOYRIDE. My go to product for this situation is the Eagle One stuff but be careful and respect it's strength! Don't let it sit too long on the wheel.

Pictures of this particular case would be helpful but from the description I would go with the strong method and work it with a good brush. I've used clay on wheels for years and it works great. The obvious has already been stated i.e. DON'T reuse any wheel clay on your body paint surfaces. If after the wheel cleaner you still see areas that need attention you can redo a second app of the Eagle One cleaner (or whatever cleaner you like) or spot treat with clay. Follow that with a good flush (wash) to make sure nothing of the strong chemical residue or clay process remains, polish to a good finish shine and seal.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #28
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

One suggestion that isn't sooo important, but for the worry memebers out there, I suggest going over the wheel with a car wash soap after the acidic cleaner... This as I have been told, neautralizes acids and is a good way to leave the wheel ready for a good DURABLE sealant (Zaino, Collinite Insulator, Klasse SG, Ect). After that, all that is needed is w/e car wash soap is left over from the wash...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #29
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ive had that hard stuff on mine too, its like brake dust turned hard, specs like. Eventually it goes away.

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #30
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
What do you guys recommend I use? My front right wheel had some serious brake dust baked into one-half side of it and I used a Zaino clay bar and managed to get 3/4 of the baked-in brake dust out but what should I use to eliminate it completely?
I agree with other posters, It's probably not brake dust. I spray my wheels with cleaner and have found that the best tool to remove BMW dust is my index finger. Then I rinse and walla, perfect.

My guess is that maybe you went over some fresh back top or oil and it left some specks. I have had this happen many times. I have found that that WD-40 will remove it most of the time and it won't harm the wheels or paint. Just wash normally after. It will remove any wax also. You can use other petroleum based products also but try a test area first.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 10:12 AM   #31
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

I would try a tar & bug remover or the 3M adhesive remover. If that doesn't work try Kaboom. It is supposed to be a soap scum remover for tiles. I used it on my beater VW rims and it got most of it off, Grante dthe brake dust was sitting for about a year.
I am not kidding. I learned about this product over on Audiworld a few years back.

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #32
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, M4

I am using Mothers FX wheel cleaner. So far this one is the best from what I have tried (P21S, P21S gel, BMW wheel cleaner, Meguiars, Eagle 1…). If the wheel really dirty especially inside you have to apply cleaner number of times. Sometimes I have to use the whole bottle to wash 4 wheels, but they come out completely clean inside. Also it’s good idea to use Zaino or Wheel wax after that, but remember that after that you have to use just car shampoo to clean your wheel because any wheel cleaner will remove wax.
Appreciate 0