E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > BMW Street Racers End in Fiery Crash

12-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

BMW Street Racers End in Fiery Crash

Two BMWs, apparently drag racing on city streets, caused a crash in Hollywood last night killing innocent people.

Check out the video news report here.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a member of our online communities. It appears to be a 5 series (a 2004 E60 525i, as pointed out), and another "black BMW" unknown that "got away".

I know there's a lot of people here who are thinking about getting a very, very fast car. Please be careful out there, and consider your first "mod", going to a DE at a local track or autcross event. Street racing is damn stupid and kills.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

It's no M5, it's a 525i.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Very thoughtful comment. I think it was a loser and an innocent person being murdered in a fiery ball of flame.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

No it wasn't the most thoughtful comment... My bad. I read in another article that he also was drunk. I sympathise only for the innocent injured.

Police say street racing may be behind a fiery collision that partially closes the busy Hollywood intersection. Three are injured.
By Deborah Schoch
Time Staff Writer

December 30, 2007

A 21-year-old BMW driver suspected of street racing crashed into two cars on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood before dawn Saturday, killing one motorist and critically injuring a male passenger, Los Angeles police said.

Police identified the driver Saturday night as Carlos Steven John of Los Angeles and said he had been driving under the influence of alcohol.

John has been booked on suspicion of murder, with bail set at $1 million, and remained in custody at a hospital where he was taken after the crash, said Officer Mike Lopez, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman.

An eyewitness saw John racing a black BMW a few blocks before the crash at Highland Avenue, police said. They are seeking the driver of the second BMW, who may face other charges, but the car is not considered a hit-and-run vehicle.

The busy intersection was partially closed through the morning as police investigated.

The 4:15 a.m. fiery crash involved three cars.

John was speeding east on Sunset in a dark gray 2004 BMW 525i just as the driver of a 2007 Infiniti westbound on Sunset began turning south onto Highland at a green light, police said.

John's BMW collided with the right rear of the Infiniti and continued east, also hitting the front of a 2006 Saturn Ion that was also turning south behind the Infiniti.

The Infiniti burst into flames, and its male driver died at the scene, said police, who are withholding his name until relatives are notified. An unidentified male passenger in the Infiniti suffered third-degree burns and is in critical condition at a hospital.

The driver of the Saturn Ion, a 28-year-old San Fernando woman, was treated for minor scrapes.

Three fire companies and three ambulances responded, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Cecil Manresa.

Anyone with information about the accident is asked to contact LAPD at (213) 473-0234.

deborah.schoch@latimes.com
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

i think they should ship this guy to Texas to get prosecuted.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #6
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

It bothers me when the consider this street racing, just cuz two idiots that dont know what their doing crash on a public road. Dont get me wrong i feel bad for the innocent victims here and dont condone dangerous driving on public roads. However real street racing is done as from highly trafficed streets as possible and is fairly organized. A majority of the stories I see are lil rich kids driving daddies way expensive cars trying to be cool and wrecking
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Durch Tod View Post
It bothers me when the consider this street racing, just cuz two idiots that dont know what their doing crash on a public road. Dont get me wrong i feel bad for the innocent victims here and dont condone dangerous driving on public roads. However real street racing is done as from highly trafficed streets as possible and is fairly organized. A majority of the stories I see are lil rich kids driving daddies way expensive cars trying to be cool and wrecking
street racing, no matter how "organized" is still stupid. If you want a nice, organized, racing event, head to a track.

You never know , on a public road, when someone not involved might stroll onto the "strip".

As for the what happened, it's too bad that people have to be so stupid...a year or two ago around here 2 guys doing the same ended up with 1 of them driving into the side of a building, when there's a perfectly good track, that on most Friday's and Saturday's is open to the public.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Btw, a second person in the victim's car died since I posted this thread...

Driver is charged with multiple counts of murder.
Appreciate 0