Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS sensor in e90 330i??

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

TPMS sensor in e90 330i??

I bought my 330i late winter '09, and given the car's near disastrous performance with my stock ROF tire/wheels, I've decided to get sane this year and buy a set of dedicated winter tires/wheels.

I'm leaning towards dunlop wintersport 3d's (non runflats) on 17x7.5 rims, and need to know whether I'll get a TMPS error if my winter wheels dont have the TPMS sensor. I'm presuming the sensors are inside the wheels for the e90 330i, right? What's the best way to disable the warning light? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
don't worry about it. You have rotational sensors. On the 3 series e90 TPMS wasn't added until march 2007 Production. I have a Feb '07 328i, and no TPMS here. To reset your sensor if you have it going off search on the tires/wheels forums. A lot of people ask this.

EDIT: Also, to be sure if you have TPMS currently, check your tire stems. If they are rubbery, then you don't have it. If they are all metal you do.
      08-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
waylap
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

So, my 2006 330i doesn't have tpms? There's a symbol for it when I scroll through the dash computer. I'll check the stems. But on a side note, If I switch to non-runflats, what is the spare tire/rim and jack I will need? Anyone have a link to a seller?
      08-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I believe 2006 330i (North America) has only FTM....which does not monitor the pressure in the tires...it will tell you that you're having a flat tire by measuring the difference in revolution of your left and right wheels....
      08-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylap View Post
So, my 2006 330i doesn't have tpms? There's a symbol for it when I scroll through the dash computer. I'll check the stems. But on a side note, If I switch to non-runflats, what is the spare tire/rim and jack I will need? Anyone have a link to a seller?
It can tell a pressure change but it doesnt use TPMS sensors to do so.

It uses an older system called FTM that can sense rotational size difference in your wheels to tell if a wheel is riding at a different rotational speed then the others. So basically when a tire drops enough pressure the system will go off because that tire will be rotating at different speeds then the rest of the tires.

So yes your car has a pressure loss system, but its not the one that uses sensors in the wheel, so you can use any tire you want.

"FTM stands for the Flat Tire Monitor. As air leaks, tire pressure decreases, and the tire rotates faster. ABS sensors on the wheels detect a change in wheel rotation speeds, which signifies a change in the roll radius, or pressure level, of the tires. A warning light in the instrument panel notifies the driver of the pressure loss. In case of significant pressure loss, a warning buzzer sounds."
      08-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed792 View Post
don't worry about it. You have rotational sensors. On the 3 series e90 TPMS wasn't added until march 2007 Production. I have a Feb '07 328i, and no TPMS here. To reset your sensor if you have it going off search on the tires/wheels forums. A lot of people ask this.

EDIT: Also, to be sure if you have TPMS currently, check your tire stems. If they are rubbery, then you don't have it. If they are all metal you do.
+1
The 2006 E90s don't have the valve stem TPMS
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Right, but partially factually incorrect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
It can tell a pressure change but it doesnt use TPMS sensors to do so.correct

It uses an older system incorrect. This system is used in the rest of the world. We (the US) decided that it wasn't quick enough so we mandated the TPMS (with sensors) in 2007called FTM that can sense rotational size difference in your wheels to tell if a wheel is riding at a different rotational speed then the others. So basically when a tire drops enough pressure the system will go off because that tire will be rotating at different speeds then the rest of the tires.

So yes your car has a pressure loss system, but its not the one that uses sensors in the wheel, so you can use any tire you want.correct

"FTM stands for the Flat Tire Monitor. As air leaks, tire pressure decreases, and the tire rotates faster. ABS sensors on the wheels detect a change in wheel rotation speeds, which signifies a change in the roll radius, or pressure level, of the tires. A warning light in the instrument panel notifies the driver of the pressure loss. In case of significant pressure loss, a warning buzzer sounds."
One huge disadvantage of the FTM is that it does not recognize temperature changes nor does it account for "time related" air loss as it generally affects all tires.

The FTM system works by sensing differences in rotational diameter. All 4 tires could be down 10psi and no warning would sound. Americans tend to be lazy about checking tire pressure so a significant number of cars on the road have all 4 tires very low...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
One huge disadvantage of the FTM is that it does not recognize temperature changes nor does it account for "time related" air loss as it generally affects all tires.

The FTM system works by sensing differences in rotational diameter. All 4 tires could be down 10psi and no warning would sound. Americans tend to be lazy about checking tire pressure so a significant number of cars on the road have all 4 tires very low...
I agree with the disadvantage of it not being able to pick up 4 tire pressure loss.

But I am not incorrect about it being the older system, while it may be used other places in the world, it is the older system in the US, where the OP is from.
      08-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
waylap
Private
Rep

Great information, thanks everyone! Sure enough, I have the soft rubbery valve stems. I was a bit frustrated thinking I had a TPMS system but a computer that wouldn't tell me the individual tire pressures. Now that I know what I really have (FTM), I'll be sure to check my tire pressures regularly.
Anyone have that link to the spare I can buy and the proper jack so I can switch to non runflats soon?
      08-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
I agree with the disadvantage of it not being able to pick up 4 tire pressure loss.

But I am not incorrect about it being the older system, while it may be used other places in the world, it is the older system in the US, where the OP is from.

FTM is actually the "newer" system.

the TPMS system first saw use in the 1998 E38 7 series. same style sensors and monitoring system. only change is the frequency, from 315mhz to 433mhz to be more world friendly for its current use.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
mattpd00
United_States
Rep

very good information to know
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
crazed792
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylap View Post
Great information, thanks everyone! Sure enough, I have the soft rubbery valve stems. I was a bit frustrated thinking I had a TPMS system but a computer that wouldn't tell me the individual tire pressures. Now that I know what I really have (FTM), I'll be sure to check my tire pressures regularly.
Anyone have that link to the spare I can buy and the proper jack so I can switch to non runflats soon?
go to tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com)or your dealer if you want, and get part number 36110308889. That is what I am using and it fits my car great. Includes the jack. I know Tischer was offering free shipping on that item, but you might want to double check if that's still the case.

For holding it in place they used to have a nice case but don't seem to that I can find anymore, so I have it in a trash bag, and have that in a floor cargo net that is kept in place nicely. For that, you can check your dealer or wherever else you want. I don't have a part number offhand.
      08-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Thanks for the info everyone. It seems at every turn these wheel/tire issues are a constant pain, so it's nice hearing good news for once. This forum rocks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

So if I have TPMS and want to buy wheels without the TMPS will there be an error, or will the system just not work? Becuase i dont need the car to tell me when all the tires are low, i can just check them myself.

Does FTM still work the same way it used to? or did they just add the TPMS to the FTM?
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
crazed792
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr!qUe View Post
So if I have TPMS and want to buy wheels without the TMPS will there be an error, or will the system just not work? Becuase i dont need the car to tell me when all the tires are low, i can just check them myself.

Does FTM still work the same way it used to? or did they just add the TPMS to the FTM?
I believe TPMS replaced and not supplemented FTM, but I could be corrected I suppose. If you have TPMS and you don't install the sensors in your new tires/wheels, you will have an error that may or may not drive you crazy.
      08-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

TPMS replaced FTM for the US market. liability reasons and the TREAD act, FTM cant tell if all tires are going flat based on normal loss, and BMWNA did not have the confidence that US consumers would check their tire pressure regularly, so they opted for the more expensive but idiot proof system on all new cars that would be subject to the law.

there will be an annoying warning gong going for the first minute of driving and a warning message will pop up. the red ! mark will be illuminated and will not go away. if you have a 3/07 and later production e90/e91 or any E92/93 you need to get tpms sensors to get rid of the warning gong and OBC message.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

TPMS (called TPM in the manual)...

Quote:

...replaced FTM in the US. Both systems are still described in the manual as Canada (IIRC) still gets the FTM.

In reality, both systems work equally well if people would check their tire pressures regularly - most don't and since we have to legislate to the lowest common denominator, we get the TPMS. TPMS is a better system as each sensor works independently of the others.

The Firestone/Ford Exploder fiasco would have never happened if people would have checked their tire pressures. Truth be told, it had little, if anything, to do with Firestone except that they were the most common tires fitted to the Explorer. In order for the Explorer to roll over like it did a handful of times, you needed all the planets misaligned - the driver's side front tire had to be extremely low, the car had to pull an evasive manouver and the front tire had to leave the roadway - usually on a dirt or grassy median strip - that was banked.

And that, ladies and gents, brought you the TPMS....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed792 View Post

TPMS are metal products, if you dont have a metal product on your rim, then you dont have TPMS
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #19
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
FTM is actually the "newer" system.

the TPMS system first saw use in the 1998 E38 7 series. same style sensors and monitoring system. only change is the frequency, from 315mhz to 433mhz to be more world friendly for its current use.
I don't want to get I to symantics, yes TPMS has been around for a vey long time my parents had it in older cars. My point was, and maybe I should have reworded it, that TPMS is the current system for US cars, making it the newer system right now.
      01-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #20
Biimer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330I

i know this thread is pretty old but i came across and was wondering if anyone could help me out.
So now i know that my 2006 330i does not have TPMS but instead has FTM. I am about to buy some aftermarket rims and i need to know if i have take my FTM off of my my stock wheels and put them on my new wheels or what? or should i just buy new FTM and if so how much are they
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #21
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biimer View Post
i know this thread is pretty old but i came across and was wondering if anyone could help me out.
So now i know that my 2006 330i does not have TPMS but instead has FTM. I am about to buy some aftermarket rims and i need to know if i have take my FTM off of my my stock wheels and put them on my new wheels or what? or should i just buy new FTM and if so how much are they
There is no FTM to take off or reuse.

That system uses existing sensors like ABS to determine the rotational speed of your tires and no sensors or anything special is required in your tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post

Yes. A month or 2 back Philly had some fluctuating temperatures....one day it was 60, the next low 30s. I drove home to Jersey and all my tires lost 10 psi per tore and my car didnt realize this because I have FTM.

I had some really bad torque steer so that's the only reason why I noticed it. If I had a RWD car I probably would went crazy trying to figure out the problem lol.
Appreciate 0