E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

03-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #287
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
I have a Dec 2009 E90 LCI which has radio professional and 6FL with MULF2-High (with bluetooth logo) fitted from factory. I do not have Navigation Professional or SA640 (phone prep).

After reading from various forums that bluetooth and voice control can be enabled for those cars fitted with 6FL option, I ordered the mic and bluetooth antenna from my local parts dealer who ordered them direct from Germany. I also ordered the OBD cable from ebay so I can do my own coding.

I read that the SA644 VO can be enabled and phone paired without the mic and antenna. Since I had already received the OBD cable, I decided to code the VO first while still waiting for the mic and antenna. I had added $644 to the VO and did FA_WRITE to both CAS and NFRM. I also did SG_CODIEREN to the 2RAD (radio professional) module. After the radio restarted, pressing the menu button showed an addtional "TEL" option. But this option is not enabled as it does not have the phone icon instead having 2 dashes in it's place. It looks something like this. http://64.19.142.14/i54.tinypic.com/2zqvhig.jpg (photo credit blingers of babybmw.net)

The owner of the photo above was able to resolve this by re-connecting the MOST cable in the distributor block. But his 1 series had SA640 option with no 6FL.

I've not attempted to check the MOST distribution block (I have non-folding rear seats) or the radio connections yet since bluetooth enabling is just supposed to be a plug and play (with coding) for cars factory fitted 6FL option.

If anyone has any idea on what else needs to be done to get the "TEL" option to be enabled please let me know.
I don't have a solution for you, but am curious to know if you have had any luck since posting?
Attached Images

Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #288
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Hi all, I've posted a work-in-progress step-by-step of my experience retrofitting Bluetooth on my E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB.

I have completed part installation and wiring using all stock cabling and install locations, all that remains is coding the vehicle order with $644. I have an appointment with Greg from detailADDICT for next weekend and will update after we attempt to code it.

I have spent $30.84 up to this point, and coding should be $80. I would appreciate comments from those familiar with this retrofit to see if I've overlooked anything up to this point.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #289
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_h View Post
I don't have a solution for you, but am curious to know if you have had any luck since posting?
there's some progress but still no success.

my car came with the navigation portable option. apparently this caused conflicts with the 644 option. I removed the navigation portable (NAVP) option from the VO and coded the CAS and NFRM and 2RAD module and I'm able to get the bluetooth to work.

I can pair my iPhone 4 with the car and make calls and receive calls using the radio and steering wheel controls. however, there is no sound coming out from the car speakers at all! I've already installed the mic and antenna but it's still not working. Also the phonebook/call lists does not seem to download from my phone to the car.

Anyone has any ideas on why there's no sound from the speakers a call is made?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #290
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
I have managed to activate the bluetooth in the Mulf2 HI module factory fitted to my 09 335i (US SPEC). The car has 6FL but no phone prep or navigation. Using the resorces available on this forum and at ************** i downloaded the tools and was able to get everything working in the module using NCSEXPERT and a cable I purchased. I still have the MIC wiring to do and I have to connect the bluetooth antenna, however if i place the phone in the trunk it will pair. I can also dial and recieve calls in the car. The only thing that was a little strange with my car was that I did not have a 2RAD module but I had a 2URAD module, I tried to code that module but got an error message. I shut the car down for a few mins and started back up, the phone menu was then available. So I just had to modify the vehicle order and write to CAS and NFRM. Its fairly straight forward once you get everything on your laptop set up and working.
were you able to hear the calls from the speakers without the mic installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #291
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazd View Post
Hi all, I've posted a work-in-progress step-by-step of my experience retrofitting Bluetooth on my E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB.

I have completed part installation and wiring using all stock cabling and install locations, all that remains is coding the vehicle order with $644. I have an appointment with Greg from detailADDICT for next weekend and will update after we attempt to code it.

I have spent $30.84 up to this point, and coding should be $80. I would appreciate comments from those familiar with this retrofit to see if I've overlooked anything up to this point.

Thanks!
I am VERY eager to hear how the coding with Detail Addict goes. I've got them on my list of vendors, when I get to that stage.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #292
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Was anyone able to activate bluetooth assist without going to the dealer, I retrofitted the tcu and an FZD with sos button (operator picks up when i hit it so its working but have no account with them and they are not able to activate it because my car vin shows that it didn't come with bluetooth and assist)

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #293
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm close to giving up on this retrofit. Tried various scenarios and still can't get any sound out from the speakers.

Tried adding $640 to VO. Didn't work.
Tried removing $6FL from VO. Didn't work. Interesting thing is that module MULF is added to the VO/FA when I added in $644 without $6FL. But NCS Expert is not able to talk to MULF as well.

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the particular MULF I have, MULF2 High Basis SVS. I've seen pics of other versions of the MULF2 which is just MULF2 HIGH, MULF2 HIGH SVS. Not sure what is the difference between the MULF2 models.

Anyone got any ideas on the no sound from speakers problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #294
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Still not working. Mic and speakers does not work at all even though I can hear the phone ringing sound from speakers when a call comes in. Steering wheel controls work to make/pick up calls. Voice command does not work. I'm not sure what I've missed out in doing this retrofit.

One interesting this is that I've seen pictures and videos on bluetooth pairing and the car's bluetooth is supposed to be named "BMW XXXXX". However the device my iPhone paired with is named "Handsfree". Trying to pair with an old Nokia shows that the car is named "Music/Video" instead.

For those who have paired your phone, is the car's bluetooth named "BMW XXXXX" or "Handsfree" like what I have?

Edit: this is werid. HU shows the bluetooth ID is "BMW XXXXX". But bluetooth discovery only find "Handsfree" which i'm able to pair to and able to turn on/off with the HU. Guess I've to find someway to change the bluetooth ID on the MULF2 to match the one that shows on the HU.

Last edited by snoozee; 03-17-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #295
Alan_S
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi Sold

When your phone pairs it should show BMW and the last 5 digits of your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #296
Alan_S
Rep

Wiring connectors from BMW

Here are the part numbers of the wiring terminals for the mic and mulf2 connector.

61-13-0-006-663 you will need 5 of them $1.88 each they are crimped on to wires you just need to join your mic cable to them.

This is the part number for the mic connector plug.

61-13-8-377-072 you need one of these $1.45 (dealer had to order it)

I tried to order the FAKRA style cable from BMW that is mentioned on this forum but its no longer available and according to the dealer parts guy has no substitute part number. ECS tuning list it but could not supply it either. I ended up finding a company loacally that made me one its just an SMB cable, I had them fit 90deg connectors on each end then velcro'd the antenna next to the MULF2 in the trunk.

Other supplies needed were 2 core shielded cable from radio shack, cable ties / heat shrink and some crimp on connctors to join the wires (radio shack has some nice small ones meant for telephone cables that worked fine).

As I did not take the TCU / FZD route to install bluetooth (as my car wasn't pre wired) I do have the parts available for sale that I had already sourced. These would be ideal for somebody that has the phone prep already done and would give them BMW assist (once the dealer activated it for them). Please PM me if interested the FZD is for a beige interior.

FZD module part number is 9 137 524 its from an 07 car (i removed the mic and it is missing the interior light cover)

TCU module part number 84.10 9205929 - 01 MFG date 16.10.2008 complete with the mounting bracket.

I also have the bluetooth speaker, I am not sure i would want to ship it in the same box as the other parts but its available.

Thanks

Alan
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #297
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When your phone pairs it should show BMW and the last 5 digits of your VIN.
Thanks for the info.

I tried using Tool32 to check the bluetooth ID and it just shows some weird characters. I think the MULF2 may not have been coded for bluetooth since the weird characters seemed to be the default VIN numbers. There nothing in Tool32 for me to change the bluetooth ID as well so I guess I have to try to flash the unit to see if I can reset the bluetooth ID.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #298
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_h View Post
I am VERY eager to hear how the coding with Detail Addict goes. I've got them on my list of vendors, when I get to that stage.
Coding was perfect!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #299
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ception View Post
Was anyone able to activate bluetooth assist without going to the dealer, I retrofitted the tcu and an FZD with sos button (operator picks up when i hit it so its working but have no account with them and they are not able to activate it because my car vin shows that it didn't come with bluetooth and assist)
bump

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #300
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got my BT to work. Coded again in ncs but using revtor's profile and blank man file. I know blank man file coding is not recommended but it seemed to reset the 2RAD and update the 2MULF's BT ID as well to the correct format. Phone could pair with the new BT ID but still no sounds from speakers during call. So I let the car sleep for about 10 mins and tried again and this time everything worked. Phone paired and downloaded the address book and voice commands work as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #301
Alan_S
Rep

Good news

Great news Snoozee, you would assume that this would be straight forward but I think the electronics in these cars can be somewhat un predictable in how they all communicate together. I think its the same at the dealer, both times my car has had a software update they never want to commit to how long it might take. It seems the take away from this is if it doesn't work first time it is possible that you did everything right but the car just didnt respond how it should. This explains why my car worked first time and yours didnt despite being the same model year.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #302
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great news Snoozee, you would assume that this would be straight forward but I think the electronics in these cars can be somewhat un predictable in how they all communicate together. I think its the same at the dealer, both times my car has had a software update they never want to commit to how long it might take. It seems the take away from this is if it doesn't work first time it is possible that you did everything right but the car just didnt respond how it should. This explains why my car worked first time and yours didnt despite being the same model year.
Alan, yes it's just weird how the car behaves. From the trace file you sent me, it seems that my coding was done properly since there's not much difference in the settings for phone, bluetooth and phone. But somehow the MULF2 just didn't respond properly with the expertmode coding.

I had almost given up and had already contacted a workshop to try to schedule an appointment for coding but after talking to the workshop owner over the phone, he has no idea on the strange problem I had and wanted to check with UK side on this as they are using AutoLogic for programming.

When I tried the coding again yesterday, the MULF2 behaved strangely as well. The bluetooth ID first remained as "Handsfree" when I did coding. After a few attemps, bluetooth discovery showed a device named "Navigation Portable". I thought my Garmin GPS was on which caused this problem but checked the GPS and it was off and bluetooth had also been disabled. So somehow the MULF2 changed it's bluetooth ID. After a few attempts, I probed around using Tool32 and suddenly saw the bluetooth friendly name setting had changed to the correct format of "BMW XXXXX". I'm not sure what actually updated the MULF2 cos by this time I had tried so many different things.

One thing I did notice was the trc file generated after the last coding was much bigger than the original trc files I had. It might be due to the daten version differences but there were also some settings missing from the new trc file compared to the old ones.

Anyway BT works now and I'm happy with it even though the missed calls, last calls, etc does not sync with my phone. It's not a big problem as long as address book works fine. Time to move on to other retrofit projects. This BT problem had taken up almost 3 weeks of my time!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #303
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I figured I should post back and report that my US-spec MULF 2 Bluetooth retrofit was successful and only cost $110 including coding.

If you have iDrive, USB, phone prep, and voice control, you're $30 (plus coding) away from Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #304
gjimmy
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Is there a surefire way to determine if you have Phone Prep by looking at the wires in the trunk or under the pedal trim or something?

I think I have it but I am not 100% certain.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #305
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjimmy View Post
Is there a surefire way to determine if you have Phone Prep by looking at the wires in the trunk or under the pedal trim or something?

I think I have it but I am not 100% certain.

thanks!
if you have a MULF2 with professional radio/idrive installed in your car, you should be able to do the retrofit even without the factory wiring.

In my car, I had the MULF2 and professional radio without any wiring. So i had to add the mic wiring myself and just connected the bluetooth antenna with short cable in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #306
eddunn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
What cable are you guys using to code?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #307
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddunn View Post
What cable are you guys using to code?
i just used a normal k+dcan cable bought from ebay
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #308
eddunn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
i just used a normal k+dcan cable bought from ebay
Would the bavarian technic cable work the same?
Appreciate 0