E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > This is ridiculous (POLICE STATE)

07-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #45
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldan2005 View Post
Hello all,
I live in Romania but here you can pass the speed limit for about 6mph (10kmh)without getting a ticket, only a verbal warning.
They say that 6mph(10kmh) is the calibration limit of the cameras.
My concern are the tickets for seatbelts wearing in town, I mean WTF - how ugly can a car accident can be at 35mph ????
You can fall on the sidewalk and get greater injuries.
You're joking right

A 35 mph crash can kill you...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #46
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

No problem, we all have BMWs, so we can drive a few indicated MPH over the posted limit with impunity. Because our speedos all read 3-5 mph fast!

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #47
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

I must admit that when I'm going "a bit over" I'm concentrating and driving safe.

When I get in trouble is fiddling with the Radio, Redline, or Razr.... we should all be mindful of distracted driving- that is REALLY dangerous. Not "worried about a ticket" dangerous, I meant "worried about dying or killing someone" dangerous...

Or maybe since I turned 40 I can't multitask as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #48
rauldan2005
Registered
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i

Sorry, I think I've made a little mistake. Was considering 1 mile = 1.3 km (dont know why -ouch-).
Anyway it was about 31 mph, come on, the only way it can kill you if the other car is running 60-70 mph and coming straight to you.
And one more thing, the police stops and tickets you for seatbelts on a route where it takes 30 min to make 5 km. Its a joke they need to get money in state treasury.
The law is the law
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #49
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi, 02 325Cic, 93 850Ci

VT Governor: "speeding crackdown goes too far"

Follow-up story from same source.

http://www.wcax.com/story/18945063/s...n-goes-too-far

"Tuesday, Gov. Peter Shumlin called the proposed level of enforcement idiotic. "
'71 Buick Riviera, 455 V8 land yacht
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #50
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
I know that it's illegal to kill just one person .... But I think there should be a 5-person cushion....

I know stealing just one dollar is illegal ... But I think there should be a 5-dollar cushion...

You know the law (if not, look around - it's posted on those rectangular white signs with black writing), live it or accept the penalty - not too difficult to understand.
And our system is so amazing at enforcing the law so perfectly, right?

Plus, the other laws you mentioned are completely different. You aren't hurting anyone by going 5mph over the speed limit. If you hit someone else at 30mph instead of 25mph I doubt the outcome would be much different. Same with 35 vs. 40....

I do know the law, but I'll take my chances. I've never gotten a ticket, and with our amazing legal system, I could probably get away with 40 in a 35 even if I was pulled over.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #51
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz BMW View Post
You are the type that probably wouldn't mind a monitoring device inside your car, and cameras in and around your home. After all, if you aren't doing anything wrong why worry?

Pfft.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #52
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
Follow-up story from same source.

http://www.wcax.com/story/18945063/s...n-goes-too-far

"Tuesday, Gov. Peter Shumlin called the proposed level of enforcement idiotic. "
He is correct, who ever made this proposal is a complete idiot

ps. usually in MA going 10-15 mph over will not get you a ticket, 20 will for sure. < on hway that is

I even had a cop pull me over doing 25-30 mph over posted speed limit, and i told him that speed limit here is ridiculous.....he agreed and let me go.

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 07-04-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #53
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legitimate View Post
Being that BMW speedometers are incorrect by somewhere around 5%, you can sue either BMW or some level of government for not mandating a standardized speedometer test
BMW makes thier speedometer off by that percentage for a reason and the reason Is so it reads FASTER then you actually going so you dont exceed the speed limit by a few miles per hour. They rather you go a few MPH slower than the speed limit than a few MPH over the speed limit to avoid the liability of someone like you sueing them for it. Soooo nice thought but no
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #54
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBiscuit View Post
The other 93% is caused by women drivers.
Or Asians! Asian women drivers are the worst!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #55
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
^^This!^^ It's also illegal to be in the left lane unless you are passing slower traffic to the right, but I never see this enforced. Some States will actively enforce this because idiots who feel entitled to 'park' in the left lane incite road rage. Unfortunately, many of our speed limits are artificially low because we need to keep the general population safe, since not everyone who has a license has the proper skills to operate a vehicle safely at the speeds that they have been designed to operate.
No, it's not. It may be illegal on the Autobahn but most states have no regulations specifying lanes for passing.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #56
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Plus, the other laws you mentioned are completely different. You aren't hurting anyone by going 5mph over the speed limit. If you hit someone else at 30mph instead of 25mph I doubt the outcome would be much different. Same with 35 vs. 40....
Energy is proportional to the square of velocity so actually the amount of energy that must be dissipated in a 30 MPH collision is almost one and a half times that of a collision at 25 MPH. I don't think people normally understand this, and instead assume a linear relationship between velocity and damage (energy). This is why braking distances grow exponentially as you get faster as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #57
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
No, it's not. It may be illegal on the Autobahn but most states have no regulations specifying lanes for passing.
Many states do, but they dont enforce this. I think whole New England has this law

Its not enforced because it will never work since most drives are too stupid to begin with

surprisingly today on the way to work left lane was free and drivers switched after passing. state should advertise this law more often, they do but not enough.

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 07-05-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #58
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
And our system is so amazing at enforcing the law so perfectly, right?

I do know the law, but I'll take my chances. I've never gotten a ticket, and with our amazing legal system, I could probably get away with 40 in a 35 even if I was pulled over.
Ok let's look at it like this. Would you be mad if someone hit your son or daughter with their car while doing 5mph over the speed limit in a residential area? What if the child died then how would you feel? I know you are like 21 so just think about it. I will be the first to tell you that speed limits in the states are too slow but they are there for a reason. Put your self in police officers shoes. Nobody's perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #59
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Wrong - most states do. In NJ, for example, you can only use the left lane on multilane highway for passing. It's not enforced as strictly as speeding, but I know people who have been ticketed for it and I wish they would issue more.
      07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #60
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBiscuit View Post
Ok let's look at it like this. Would you be mad if someone hit your son or daughter with their car while doing 5mph over the speed limit in a residential area? What if the child died then how would you feel? I know you are like 21 so just think about it. I will be the first to tell you that speed limits in the states are too slow but they are there for a reason. Put your self in police officers shoes. Nobody's perfect.
To be honest. If someone was doing 30 mph in a residential area and hit my kid, I don't think I would be any more upset than if they were doing 25mph regardless of the outcome. Both of those speeds are deadly, but in normal circumstances you have just as much control over your car at 30 mph as you do at 25 mph.

I always tell people to slow down and I am one to have a lot of regard for the law. My street is pretty close to a major street (Beverly Glen) and I see people doing 40 mph down my block all the time. Ive even seen 2 crossover SUVs racing late at night (and it's a street with one lane for each direction.... So one guy was in the lane with on coming traffic). I also live near UCLA, so I see dumbass teenage drivers all the time.

I know that nobody is perfect, but I think it would be completely ridiculous to for a police officer to give someone a ticket for going 26/27/28 mph in a 25 when they are just cruising and not really accelerating.

I'm 19 btw, haha.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #61
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Energy is proportional to the square of velocity so actually the amount of energy that must be dissipated in a 30 MPH collision is almost one and a half times that of a collision at 25 MPH. I don't think people normally understand this, and instead assume a linear relationship between velocity and damage (energy). This is why braking distances grow exponentially as you get faster as well.
I actually do understand the physics behind impacts and speed. But having driven at both speeds and also having been hit by someone running a red light going 45+ mph I can safely say that I would be personally ok with people cruising at 30 mph around my street.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #62
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
I actually do understand the physics behind impacts and speed. But having driven at both speeds and also having been hit by someone running a red light going 45+ mph I can safely say that I would be personally ok with people cruising at 30 mph around my street.
Doesn't change the fact there's a lot more energy to dissipate and a lot longer of a distance to stop.

But if you would like the speed limit on your street changed because your infinite wisdom says it's ok, by all means change it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #63
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legitimate View Post
But what gives them the right of thinking all the owners are stupid? You never know, someone might use a old E90 30 years from now for a stunt and they need to go exactly a certain speed with a low margin of error and something like this may lead to their death.
So that's why I didn't go back to the future when the speedo said I hit 88 mph...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #64
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Doesn't change the fact there's a lot more energy to dissipate and a lot longer of a distance to stop.

But if you would like the speed limit on your street changed because your infinite wisdom says it's ok, by all means change it.
Im not saying that. Just that, as it is normally, have something like a 5 mph cushion. Again, the only time ive know of something to get pulled over for doing like 27 in a 25 was my mom, about 10 years ago, and she got out of the ticket...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #65
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
My Dad always said... "9 and ur mine!"

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #66
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Many states do, but they dont enforce this. I think whole New England has this law

Its not enforced because it will never work since most drives are too stupid to begin with

surprisingly today on the way to work left lane was free and drivers switched after passing. state should advertise this law more often, they do but not enough.
In FL you can get a ticket if you are in the right lane and do not move over for a driver merging onto the highway..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0