E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dashboard Speaker Pods: Interfere with Airbags?

04-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Dashboard Speaker Pods: Interfere with Airbags?

So I am looking into fiberglassing some pods to add a pair of 6.5 inch speakers to my front soundstage. I think they will just fit in the corners of the windshield and yes they will cover over those vents. But I am not too worried about that.

What concerns me is the airbags. I see high up on the A-pillar trim the word "airbag" and I presume that is where the curtain airbags come out of that cover the windshield. I have seen a single cutaway illustration of an e90 with all airbags deployed here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256

But it is not clear as to whether speaker pods on the dash will interfere with airbag deployment.

The pods will be removable and I just have to figure out how to secure them so they dont fly back in the event of being rear-ended.

Edit: Okay, I think this (see photo below) will be a better location. It will be in the way when I get in or out of the car, but I can get over that. I do not use that space much when moving my feet around so being to the outside in front of the seat will likely be best.
Attached Images

Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.

Last edited by Quasimodem; 04-23-2013 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Not sure, I'd say if the pods block the A-pillars then they could become projectiles in case of airbag deployment. I would also be concerned about them coming loose in an accident. Furthermore, potential thieves will surely appreciate your advertisement for a nice audio system.

From an acoustical standpoint, I'm not sure what benefit you think you'll have from doing that? How much airspace will the woofers have? Have you considered the possibility that the positioning of the speakers will narrow your soundstage?
      04-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Not sure, I'd say if the pods block the A-pillars then they could become projectiles in case of airbag deployment. I would also be concerned about them coming loose in an accident. Furthermore, potential thieves will surely appreciate your advertisement for a nice audio system.

From an acoustical standpoint, I'm not sure what benefit you think you'll have from doing that? How much airspace will the woofers have? Have you considered the possibility that the positioning of the speakers will narrow your soundstage?
Great thoughts. Yeah, they would be clear to thieves, that plus concerns about anchoring them properly and interfering with airbag deployment are discouraging.

I have tried for the life of me to figure out how to position the speakers in the foot area without compromising legspace, but I dont see how. I like to rest my foot on the footrest on the left hand side of the brake, so kickpanels enclosures are out. Right below the front of the seat (below the latch to extend leg support), was what I was considering for a long time but I would have to attach the enclosures to the seat itself so that the speaker would move with the seat -- the angle would be bad and ninety percent of the speaker would be blocked by the seat. Still better than floor-mounted like the stock speakers. Attaching the speaker enclosure with maximum volume to the bottom of the seat would be challenging - but I guess that is my best bet.

I noticed that when I drive the freway on cruise control, i like to bring my gas-pedal foot in towards the center of the seat to rest it. If I mount the speakers there, I wouldnt be able to do that anymore.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Just uploaded a new speaker location photo on the floor near the outside of each seat. Think I will go with this. I will only be cutting the BMW floor mats on each side. I do not want to cut any trim, not even the floor carpet.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

As far as the A pillars go, the airbags are rolled up in the A pillar. Upon deployment, they blow the A pillar trim leading edge towards the inside of the car, hinging (to some degree) around the back edge. Basically anywhere to the inside and just towards the windshield would be fine. But those look like 6" woofers you're trying to mount, so I don't think there's any way you're going to get them on the dash without messing up deployment.

I feel you on wanting to modify as little as possible, but those are HUGE drivers to try to stuff somewhere not requiring modification, much less a unmodified location that sounds good. If it were me, I'd look into modifying the door pocket to suppor them firing slightly up. I'm thinking something like cut a half-circle into the trim near the front of the pocket, mount the speaker basket-in, perhaps angled up a little, then do some custom fiberglass to seal up the back side.

That's totally out of line with your unmodified idea, though.

Edit: My description of the A pillar trim is bad. By "leading edge" I mean edge closest to you the driver, back edge being next to the glass. They're press-in anchored on the glass edge.
      04-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
As far as the A pillars go, the airbags are rolled up in the A pillar. Upon deployment, they blow the A pillar trim leading edge towards the inside of the car, hinging (to some degree) around the back edge. Basically anywhere to the inside and just towards the windshield would be fine. But those look like 6" woofers you're trying to mount, so I don't think there's any way you're going to get them on the dash without messing up deployment.

I feel you on wanting to modify as little as possible, but those are HUGE drivers to try to stuff somewhere not requiring modification, much less a unmodified location that sounds good. If it were me, I'd look into modifying the door pocket to suppor them firing slightly up. I'm thinking something like cut a half-circle into the trim near the front of the pocket, mount the speaker basket-in, perhaps angled up a little, then do some custom fiberglass to seal up the back side.

That's totally out of line with your unmodified idea, though.

Edit: My description of the A pillar trim is bad. By "leading edge" I mean edge closest to you the driver, back edge being next to the glass. They're press-in anchored on the glass edge.
Awesome info, thanks. I think all safety factors dictate not to put them on the dash (speakers flying up my nose if I get rear-ended, airbags not deploying if I hit something, blah blah). These are CDT ES 06 mids and the magnet in back is bigger than my HD-4 speakers alone. These are basically going to take some of the lower spectrum back from my trunk sub and complete my front stage. I will figure something out and post pics.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Just good for thought. I have these in my e93. http://www.jehnert.de/produkte-doorboards-soundsystems/bmw/3er/bmw-3er-e90e91-limousine-touring-m3-75166-doorboards-mit-3-wege-soundsystem?lang=en_us
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Food* damn typos
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
Just good for thought. I have these in my e93. http://www.jehnert.de/produkte-doorb...tem?lang=en_us
Nice, I am a little ADD right now -- do those enclosures attach to the existing door pocket or do you have to cut the door pocket completely off and replace it with those enclosures?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

So what are you trying to achieve by this?

IMO the 4 inch door speakers and 8 inch midbasses are enough. I see how having a 6.5 might seem like a good idea, but I honestly think it's not worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
So what are you trying to achieve by this?

IMO the 4 inch door speakers and 8 inch midbasses are enough. I see how having a 6.5 might seem like a good idea, but I honestly think it's not worth the effort.
The underfloor speakers are just not in a position to provide good imaging for mid bass in the front soundstage. I am trying to add midbass to the front and leave my sub to provide more omnidirectional lower frequencies from the trunk.

Have you ever run a constant level tone that passes through all the frequencies on your system? When I do, I notice the level go down going through the mid-bass range. This tells me that my lower frequencies and higher are fine but I am losing out in the midrange.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
Just good for thought. I have these in my e93. http://www.jehnert.de/produkte-doorb...tem?lang=en_us
Nice, I am a little ADD right now -- do those enclosures attach to the existing door pocket or do you have to cut the door pocket completely off and replace it with those enclosures?
Door pockets get cut
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
The underfloor speakers are just not in a position to provide good imaging for mid bass in the front soundstage. I am trying to add midbass to the front and leave my sub to provide more omnidirectional lower frequencies from the trunk.

Have you ever run a constant level tone that passes through all the frequencies on your system? When I do, I notice the level go down going through the mid-bass range. This tells me that my lower frequencies and higher are fine but I am losing out in the midrange.

Yes, you are correct in saying that mid bass suffers due to its location (underseats).
BMW should have done
1- Tweeters where they are
2- 4 inch mid where they are
3- 6.5 mid bass drivers below 4 inch mids
4- 8 inch sub drivers below seats

And things would have been completely different.
BUT this did not happen.

Now in order to address the loss of mid bass coming from the underseats, you set up your system in a way that mid to mid bass ration is 1: 2 or 2:3 respectively depending on your taste.

If you cannot adjust that and eager to have 6.5 drivers in your door, I'd suggest you to fit the 6.5 driver where most of the forum members fit their xovers. Its off axis, but its nice location to keep the things OEM. Plus it will give you decent depth for the mid bass drivers.