E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

05-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #309
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Okay, after reading through this post, I'm still a little lost on exactly what I need. I have a 2008 E92 335i with Logic 7, but no i-drive. According to a VIN decoder, I am pre-wired for telephone. What exactly would I need to get bluetooth functioning properly in my car through the head unit? Would the ULF suffice along with the microphone, or would I have to get the TCU and the FZD for this to work right. I could care less about BMW assist, I live on an island and always have a cell phone with me, I just want bluetooth phone functions through the headunit, as well as steering wheel controls. Being able to download my phonebook as well as using voice controls would be a great plus.

I'm currently using a Parrot CK Evolution kit in my car with an iPhone4S but I'm not completely happy with it, the voice quality and volume coming out of the speakers isn't consistent and the pairing when getting in the car can sometimes be troublesome. Currently when pressing the "answer" button on the steering wheel when no call is active, it will activate Siri, allowing me to dictate messages or emails, as well as voice dial or get directions. If I were to install the OEM Bluetooth retrofit, would I be able to retain this, or would it be some sort of proprietary voice dialing done only through the BMW module? Looking at the ULF feedback, it seems like the voice prompts are in German, and I'd like to avoid this.

Can anyone clarify these things for me?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #310
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Okay, after reading through this post, I'm still a little lost on exactly what I need. I have a 2008 E92 335i with Logic 7, but no i-drive. According to a VIN decoder, I am pre-wired for telephone. What exactly would I need to get bluetooth functioning properly in my car through the head unit? Would the ULF suffice along with the microphone, or would I have to get the TCU and the FZD for this to work right. I could care less about BMW assist, I live on an island and always have a cell phone with me, I just want bluetooth phone functions through the headunit, as well as steering wheel controls. Being able to download my phonebook as well as using voice controls would be a great plus.

I'm currently using a Parrot CK Evolution kit in my car with an iPhone4S but I'm not completely happy with it, the voice quality and volume coming out of the speakers isn't consistent and the pairing when getting in the car can sometimes be troublesome. Currently when pressing the "answer" button on the steering wheel when no call is active, it will activate Siri, allowing me to dictate messages or emails, as well as voice dial or get directions. If I were to install the OEM Bluetooth retrofit, would I be able to retain this, or would it be some sort of proprietary voice dialing done only through the BMW module? Looking at the ULF feedback, it seems like the voice prompts are in German, and I'd like to avoid this.

Can anyone clarify these things for me?

Thanks in advance!
you will need ULF, bluetooth antenna & mic. if you want to have the USB 6FL option as well then you'll need the MULF. coding will need to be done.

you do not need TCU if you do not want assist.

i'm not sure if the steering wheel control will activate siri (highly unlikely) as that will activate the car's own voice control system.

ULF can be coded to change the language. however some people like myself are unable to code the ULF/MULF. seems that this capability varies from car to car. if your coder is able to code the ULF, then changing the language to english is not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #311
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
you will need ULF, bluetooth antenna & mic. if you want to have the USB 6FL option as well then you'll need the MULF. coding will need to be done.

you do not need TCU if you do not want assist.

i'm not sure if the steering wheel control will activate siri (highly unlikely) as that will activate the car's own voice control system.

ULF can be coded to change the language. however some people like myself are unable to code the ULF/MULF. seems that this capability varies from car to car. if your coder is able to code the ULF, then changing the language to english is not an issue.
Perfect, that's all I needed to know! I wish there was a surefire way to tell if my car can be coded for english. Just to clarify, if I have the ipod adaptor with the USB port in my center console, I'll need the MULF?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #312
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Perfect, that's all I needed to know! I wish there was a surefire way to tell if my car can be coded for english. Just to clarify, if I have the ipod adaptor with the USB port in my center console, I'll need the MULF?
since you already have the USB port, you should already have the MULF which comes with USB (6FL) option. you can pull up the panel in your trunk and check if the module is there just to confirm.

There's no surefire way to know if you can code the MULF since the ability to read/write to MULF varies from car to car when using the normal OBDII cable.

But since you care already came with 6FL from factory, the MULF might already have been programmed to english already.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #313
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
since you already have the USB port, you should already have the MULF which comes with USB (6FL) option. you can pull up the panel in your trunk and check if the module is there just to confirm.

There's no surefire way to know if you can code the MULF since the ability to read/write to MULF varies from car to car when using the normal OBDII cable.

But since you care already came with 6FL from factory, the MULF might already have been programmed to english already.
Okay, checked under the trunk and I do have the MULF unit. I can post the photo of the unit later, but I'm in the Bay Area now for work. So basically all I need is the antenna, the mic, and some coding?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #314
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

if you have a bunch of wires bundled near the mulf but not connected, then you'll just need the antenna, mic and coding. the bundle of wires should have the bluetooth antenna wire inside as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #315
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
if you have a bunch of wires bundled near the mulf but not connected, then you'll just need the antenna, mic and coding. the bundle of wires should have the bluetooth antenna wire inside as well.
I do see some wires tied to it, I'll try to get to it more tomorrow so I can get to the part number, it looks like the label on the top side doesn't have it. I hope this is as easy as it sounds, having OEM bluetooth is something I've wanted for a while!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #316
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]

One of the connector Bundles in the trunk

The other connector bundle

Label on the MULF, as far as I can tell.

So this is what I have in my trunk. Judging from a previous retrofit thread I read( as well as help from the posters here), I just need the mic and antenna. I'll also have to re-pin the harness behind the glovebox for the mic, as well as modify the harness for the antenna that connects to the MULF in the trunk. After that, a short coding session and I should be good to go right? I have a friend at the dealership who will be able to code my car for me, so hopefully this retrofit won't cost me much.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #317
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

first bundle of cables if for TCU. the connector in white/pink is the one for the bluetooth antenna. you should be able to find the other end of the bluetooth cable in your footwell area.

2nd bundle of cables is for Sat radio so you can leave it alone.

yeah, you'll just need the mic and antenna and repin of the mic cables plus coding and you should be done with the retrofit.

Last edited by snoozee; 07-01-2012 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: wrong color
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #318
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:

So this is what I have in my trunk. Judging from a previous retrofit thread I read( as well as help from the posters here), I just need the mic and antenna. I'll also have to re-pin the harness behind the glovebox for the mic, as well as modify the harness for the antenna that connects to the MULF in the trunk. After that, a short coding session and I should be good to go right? I have a friend at the dealership who will be able to code my car for me, so hopefully this retrofit won't cost me much.
You will get an sos error even after coding unless you have a bluetooth assist button in your dome light area right next to the sun roof switch. there are some coders who know how to turn it off but bmw probably won't.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #319
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ception View Post
You will get an sos error even after coding unless you have a bluetooth assist button in your dome light area right next to the sun roof switch. there are some coders who know how to turn it off but bmw probably won't.
Why would I get an SOS error if I don't have an FZD or a TCU? I thought only the TCU was for BMW Assist telematics, and the MULF that I have is a bluetooth only module and doesn't contain GSM or TDMA capabilities?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #320
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Why would I get an SOS error if I don't have an FZD or a TCU? I thought only the TCU was for BMW Assist telematics, and the MULF that I have is a bluetooth only module and doesn't contain GSM or TDMA capabilities?
wasn't aware of that, in that case you are good to go lol

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #321
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

isn't the blue tooth cable black?

Isn't the blue tooth antenna at the footwell pink/black? Why would the other end be pink/maroon? I read another post which implies that the other end is pink/white....

Quote:
first bundle of cables if for TCU. the connector in pink/maroon is the one for the bluetooth antenna. you should be able to find the other end of the bluetooth cable in your footwell area.

2nd bundle of cables is for Sat radio so you can leave it alone.

yeah, you'll just need the mic and antenna and repin of the mic cables plus coding and you should be done with the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #322
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylim View Post
Isn't the blue tooth antenna at the footwell pink/black? Why would the other end be pink/maroon? I read another post which implies that the other end is pink/white....
good catch. my mistake. i had referred to the install manual and mixed up WS(white) and SW(black)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #323
iamatticus
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

FlashMonkey,

I am curious how your progress is coming along. I'm trying to do the exact same thing as you on my wife's '11 135i. We have the same MULF unit as far as I can tell, but I don't see any unconnected wiring harness in the trunk. I'm wondering if it's already connected and all I need to do is connect the Bluetooth antenna and mic in the cockpit. I have the E-82 PDF installation guide but it's extremely confusing.

Here's a picture of my trunk.

-tj in los gatos

Quote:

Attached Images

07-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #324
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
iamatticus - I've been so busy with work (14-16 hours a day, 7 days a week), I honestly haven't had time to do anything. I finally got all the parts I needed, the bluetooth antenna, loudspeaker, and microphone all for under $60. I'm going to try and maybe install them on Wednesday, but I still need to order a cable and copy of windows XP before I can activate it. Either that, or bite the bullet and take it to my friend at the dealership and see if they can code it. I'll keep everyone updated once I get some time to actually get something done!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #325
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamatticus View Post
FlashMonkey,

I am curious how your progress is coming along. I'm trying to do the exact same thing as you on my wife's '11 135i. We have the same MULF unit as far as I can tell, but I don't see any unconnected wiring harness in the trunk. I'm wondering if it's already connected and all I need to do is connect the Bluetooth antenna and mic in the cockpit. I have the E-82 PDF installation guide but it's extremely confusing.

Here's a picture of my trunk.

-tj in los gatos
BMW stopped wiring cars with SA640 mobile phone prep sometime in 2009 so that's why you can't fine the wiring inside the car.

the retrofit still can be done since you already have the MULF2 on board. you'll just need to buy additional wiring for the mic (around 5 metres), a female smb to female smb cable (abt 15cm) from ebay for the bluetooth antenna and BMW wiring pigtails with the MQS pins so you can join the mic wiring for connection into the 54pin MULF plug and the mic.

of cos coding still needs to be done after the hardware is installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #326
iamatticus
Rep

Snoozee-thanks for the information. Is there any documentation of this? Anything that shows where the wiring harness needs to be routed? It sounds like I need to pull wiring from the MULF in the trunk to the cockpit. Is that the case?

Quote:
BMW stopped wiring cars with SA640 mobile phone prep sometime in 2009 so that's why you can't fine the wiring inside the car.

the retrofit still can be done since you already have the MULF2 on board. you'll just need to buy additional wiring for the mic (around 5 metres), a female smb to female smb cable (abt 15cm) from ebay for the bluetooth antenna and BMW wiring pigtails with the MQS pins so you can join the mic wiring for connection into the 54pin MULF plug and the mic.

of cos coding still needs to be done after the hardware is installed.
Regards,
-tj in los gatos
      07-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #327
iamatticus
Rep

Just returned from Stevens Creek BMW where we bought the 135i. According to the shop foreman there, it's impossible to upgrade our car for Bluetooth capability. According to him, you need the TCU to make Bluetooth work, that the mere presence of the ULF alone is not sufficient. He could not explain why our build sheet shows TeleService Activation despite the car not having BMWAssist, which he claims are the same thing.

It seems that no one can definitively say whether or not a 2011 135i with the multi-function steering wheel, and the USB controller can be upgraded for Bluetooth capability.

Yes, this is frustrating.

-tj in los gatos
      07-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #328
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamatticus View Post
Just returned from Stevens Creek BMW where we bought the 135i. According to the shop foreman there, it's impossible to upgrade our car for Bluetooth capability. According to him, you need the TCU to make Bluetooth work, that the mere presence of the ULF alone is not sufficient. He could not explain why our build sheet shows TeleService Activation despite the car not having BMWAssist, which he claims are the same thing.

It seems that no one can definitively say whether or not a 2011 135i with the multi-function steering wheel, and the USB controller can be upgraded for Bluetooth capability.

Yes, this is frustrating.

-tj in los gatos
i guess the shop foreman knows less than he should know. just look at the MULF 2 module and you can see a bluetooth logo on it. that itself is a big hint that the module has bluetooth capabilities . BMW's documentation also states that MULF/ULF has bluetooth capabilities that allows for bluetooth handsfree phone. the official bluetooth retrofit manual also refers to the ULF/MULF and not TCU. TCU also has bluetooth capabilities BUT you DO NOT need TCU to get bluetooth phone if you already have MULF. TCU and MULF can co-exist in a car but only one module had bluetooth enabled.

from what i know, there are quite a number of 1 series (E8x) owners having done this retrofit with success. if you have a F series car, then don't bother to continue reading since what i'm writing is for E series cars only.

anyway to refer back to your other post on wiring routing. this is what i did for my E90 since my car did not come with SA640 phone prep as well.

1. bluetooth antenna. bought a 15cm SMB female to SMB female wire for eBay. connected the antenna to MULF and taped the antenna inside the trunk. BMW's official antenna location is in the driver side footwell. but trunk location works fine as well so save some bucks from needing to buy a longer cable and sweat from routing the cable from trunk to front.

2. mic is installed in the roof/map light panel. wiring is run from my trunk, through the bottom of the rear seats, up the c-pillar, across the top of the roof to the a-pillar, under the a-pillar airbag and finally to the map light panel where the mic is. this is easier than trying to route through the car's carpet or door sills.

3. code the car to add the SA644 VO (SA664 for US cars) and then code the radio to activate the new functions.

HOWEVER, before you do anything, please check if you already have a bluetooth enabled radio. BMW changed the radios sometime in 2010 and these radios come with inbuilt bluetooth and USB. if you have one of these radios, then your retrofit would be different. mic wiring will be conencted to the radio plug instead of the MULF. you may or may not need the bluetooth antenna since the radio already has bluetooth capabilities. coding is also necessary to enable this feature as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #329
ddanj
yoroshku
Rep
Drives: Sinister DNA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Hi all, I read through all the pages, but not sure how to address the issue I'm having. I just bought a 2006 330i, with BMW assist, and iDrive. The previous owner even showed me that Bluetooth worked with his older phone.

I have an iphone 4s and I can't seem to get it to pair. I get prompted for a pin by both the car and the phone, but when I enter it in, and hit the return arrow at the top, I just get 'could not pair'. Is my old TCU just not compatible with the iphone 4s? do I need a 'new' TCU? or can the compatibility list be updated? is there a way to check?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #330
ddanj
yoroshku
Rep
Drives: Sinister DNA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
nevermind, got it working

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanj View Post
Hi all, I read through all the pages, but not sure how to address the issue I'm having. I just bought a 2006 330i, with BMW assist, and iDrive. The previous owner even showed me that Bluetooth worked with his older phone.

I have an iphone 4s and I can't seem to get it to pair. I get prompted for a pin by both the car and the phone, but when I enter it in, and hit the return arrow at the top, I just get 'could not pair'. Is my old TCU just not compatible with the iphone 4s? do I need a 'new' TCU? or can the compatibility list be updated? is there a way to check?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0