E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Anyone's car is on Aphrodite Leader?

02-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #89
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Custom's process _probably_ go to the new cars first, then ED cars, but that's a guess.
As I’m officially obsessed with my car, I’ve been doing research on that subject. I found some good posts on another board explaining the priority of cars through customs and VPC. Here’s how it apparently works:

1) Customs – ED cars go through a relatively slow customs process, as they have to check for contraband that the owner (or someone else) could have left in the car while in Europe. Non-ED orders can clear customs while the boat is still on the water, so they are often pre-cleared before arriving to the port. I’m sure they do some type of quick check once they get here, but they are usually at the VPC in a couple of days. ED cars can occasionally sit in customs for weeks while they check for contraband. I’m not clear why it takes that long, but I’ve seen some posts where it happens.
2) Dept of Agriculture inspections – This can take a couple of days for ED cars, and it happens after going through customs. For ED cars, they ask you to clean it before bringing it to the drop off location in Europe. Apparently, this helps ensure that you don’t have any issues when you go through the DOA inspection. Of course, I’m not sure why the shipping agent can’t just wash it for you. DOA is a non-issue unless you have an ED car.
3) 3) VPC – ED cars apparently have the highest priority in the VPC, which is a little surprising. The rationale is that the car has already been paid for, so BMW wants to get it to the customer ASAP. While ED has priority over dealer allocations (showroom cars), they are also more likely to have damage, so they can take longer to process in the VPC.

Based on my tracking of the last few ships into Hueneme, ED cars are taking around 6-14 days to process and non-ED cars are taking 3-10 days. This is the time from port to dealer, and it assumes no issues with customs and no damage to the car. If either of those last two things happens it can take weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #90
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
1) Customs – ED cars go through a relatively slow customs process, as they have to check for contraband that the owner (or someone else) could have left in the car while in Europe. Non-ED orders can clear customs while the boat is still on the water, so they are often pre-cleared before arriving to the port. I’m sure they do some type of quick check once they get here, but they are usually at the VPC in a couple of days. ED cars can occasionally sit in customs for weeks while they check for contraband. I’m not clear why it takes that long, but I’ve seen some posts where it happens.
2) Dept of Agriculture inspections – This can take a couple of days for ED cars, and it happens after going through customs. For ED cars, they ask you to clean it before bringing it to the drop off location in Europe. Apparently, this helps ensure that you don’t have any issues when you go through the DOA inspection. Of course, I’m not sure why the shipping agent can’t just wash it for you. DOA is a non-issue unless you have an ED car.
3) 3) VPC – ED cars apparently have the highest priority in the VPC, which is a little surprising. The rationale is that the car has already been paid for, so BMW wants to get it to the customer ASAP. While ED has priority over dealer allocations (showroom cars), they are also more likely to have damage, so they can take longer to process in the VPC.

Based on my tracking of the last few ships into Hueneme, ED cars are taking around 6-14 days to process and non-ED cars are taking 3-10 days. This is the time from port to dealer, and it assumes no issues with customs and no damage to the car. If either of those last two things happens it can take weeks.
thanks for the info, lance!

just one small correction, based on this post, non-ED cars can get to dealers as early as 2 days after ship has docked.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #91
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
anyone tried tracking the car with the trucking company? i just called and they said my car has still not been released to them.

damn, i'm impatient!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #92
johnnyhowey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i sports Space Grey

I talked to my dealer today, which is in Socal. They said the car hasnt been released to the carrier yet. But the estimated arrival date to the dealer is on 2/23/08, which is 4 days from now. Normally it should be quicker than what they estimate. So it shouldnt be that much different with dealership in norcal.
      02-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #93
Rich_SanJose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i conv; Montego Blue

Last Few Days - be patient...

I called Wagoneer - not yet released to them (as can be expected given the other posts, I guess). The dealer says 10 days should be expected (2/29 LEAP day!).
When people said the wait after driving your car in Europe was the worst part, I had no idea!
Luckily, I am on travel next week, so I hope I can take a taxi to the dealer next Friday and get my baby.
My wife says I am as obsessed as the rest of you (us) freaks and I guess I am! It is just a car - why do I fret so?
Anyway, the wait is driving me crazy! In the first two hours of having my car, a road-rock dinged my windshield and then a German cop pulled me over to look around and look under the hood! Now, I see the debate over whether Montego is a good color... Crazy! (plus more waiting potentially to fix the windshield and other minor road-rock damage).
At least it is now here - leap day - I willl remember that always (if I have it then....).
Thank you all for being here - I do appreciate you all the support of the many stories! It helps with the agonizing wait.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 01:15 AM   #94
Rich_SanJose
Rep

Smile Thanks!

FYI thanks to spn for the radar plots of location. That was great. There is so little info available. As I posted, I was info-dead from 12/21/07 to Feb/08. Thanks to all the posts - I have back-tracked your many threads and feel far more informed than I was before. What is up with Al pointing back whislt going towards Oxnard???!?! Radar Error?
(it also seems that there is a delay in me seeing what all is posted).
(yes, what all).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 01:31 AM   #95
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Rich, who is your dealer? Is your car an ED car?
Lance, Rich and I are in northern CA waiting for our ED cars from AL.
If our car is an ED car, I think we'll all get ours within a day of each other.

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 02-20-2008 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 03:20 AM   #96
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
i emailed my dealer today and he replied to expect the car late this week or early next week. so i think the 29th is an overestimate. but then again, i'm not an ED customer.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #97
Rich_SanJose
Rep

I picked up in Munich on 12/14 and drove 2200 miles in 7 days - dropped in Madrid on 12/21 (top up the whole time with car loaded full).
I ordered through Stevens Creek BMW.
FYI: 2/29 is my estimate since I am out of town all week and return on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #98
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 MB SL63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_SanJose View Post
FYI thanks to spn for the radar plots of location. That was great. There is so little info available. As I posted, I was info-dead from 12/21/07 to Feb/08. Thanks to all the posts - I have back-tracked your many threads and feel far more informed than I was before. What is up with Al pointing back whislt going towards Oxnard???!?! Radar Error?
(it also seems that there is a delay in me seeing what all is posted).
(yes, what all).
You're welcome. It is really fun to track. I know the agony of waiting. I've been there before with a euro delivery two years ago. It took seven weeks from drop off in Germany to arrival at my dealership. I almost went crazy. And yes, it is just a car, but for whatever reason, they are our passion. It is good to have a passion in life!

My car went through customs right away. From the time the ship docked in the port of Long Beach (Mercedes' VPC) to delivery in UT took seven days. I tracked a car for a friend last summer (another euro delivery) and it took three weeks for the car to clear customs (that was typical for both BMW and Mercedes deliveries last summer), so I hope that doesn't happen with you guys. I wonder if the summertime is busier with the customs offices and euro deliveries, so I am thinking it should be faster for you.

I don't see that AL was pointing backwards at Oxnard, maybe you are seeing Titan next to her sailing south?? I have seen that happen before, though, where the ship's arrow gets flipped, and it was my guess that it was a radar error, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #99
johnnyhowey
United_States
Rep

expect your car to be release to the carrier today or tomorrow!!!
      02-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #100
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhowey View Post
expect your car to be release to the carrier today or tomorrow!!!
Are the non-ED cars at the VPC already?!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #101
johnnyhowey
United_States
Rep

My dealership told me that my car is already in the VPC yesterday. Today I called the trucking number and they still havent receive the car yet ... ><
      02-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #102
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhowey View Post
My dealership told me that my car is already in the VPC yesterday. Today I called the trucking number and they still havent receive the car yet ... ><
same here. i'm going insane here...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #103
johnnyhowey
United_States
Rep

so ... this is my first BMW purchase actually, I am a little bit excited .... actually very, and I cant wait no more... just wanna go there and snatch it. Everyone has been really useful here I am definitely going to stick around this forum after.
      02-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #104
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep

So, I have some relatively good news about my redelivery. After a few phone calls, I was finally able to find out that my car has already cleared customs and is waiting for Dept of Ag clearance. This was as of noon today, so I’m pretty pleased with how quickly it got through customs. Barring any damage or a hold up from the folks at the DOA, I think I could have my car by mid next week. I’m keeping my fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #105
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
YAY! just called the trucking company, my car will be in the bay area tomorrow morning!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #106
bimmer_v
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan - Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
So, I have some relatively good news about my redelivery. After a few phone calls, I was finally able to find out that my car has already cleared customs and is waiting for Dept of Ag clearance. This was as of noon today, so I’m pretty pleased with how quickly it got through customs. Barring any damage or a hold up from the folks at the DOA, I think I could have my car by mid next week. I’m keeping my fingers crossed!
Hey, whats the phone no. you call to find out the latest status on your car ... The only info I got from my CA was ED cars usually take 7-10 days to clear customs and I think I have to live with this information, unless there is some other way to find out the latest update !
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #107
johnnyhowey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko View Post
YAY! just called the trucking company, my car will be in the bay area tomorrow morning!!!
WAHHHH? how is that it gets to norcal before socal? I called the trucking company they said my car is released to them and should be at the dealer on friday morning? but not tomorrow? its only like 1 hour drive from the port to my dealership.

Do they do any other work other than deliver the car to the dealer that I dont know about?

Whats worse is the dealership dont even know the car is out of the VPC yet ... and they said it could be longer ..... all these information is getting me crazy hahah
      02-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #108
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_v View Post
Hey, whats the phone no. you call to find out the latest status on your car ... The only info I got from my CA was ED cars usually take 7-10 days to clear customs and I think I have to live with this information, unless there is some other way to find out the latest update !
You have to call the agent (Ted Rausch). I don't have the number with me, but you can google it. It should have a 562 area code. I will tell you that the first time I called, they blew me off and said call my CA. Today, I called Harms and they referred me back to Ted Rausch. I called them again, and this time the guy told me that my car has cleared customs and was currently awaiting DOA clearance. Unless your CA is willing to do make some legwork, I think they just give you the standard two week answer. I decided to try to do the legwork on my own.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #109
MG67
B'Fest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Cv - 325iT - GT3

Man is this re-delivery business frustrating... My car was on the Hudson Leader and I know it went through customs... Wagonners doesn't have it yet and I'm leaving for Miami tomorrow morning... Would be sweet if I can pick it up next week Tuesday or Wednesday of course... Good luck all of you...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #110
akphan
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Black Sapphire

My CA at BMW of Mountain View emailed me on Weds night:

"I expect your vehicle to arrive Friday or Saturday. We will probably put it through Mechanical Inspection on Monday or Tuesday so you can take delivery then."

I'm guessing you others in Norcal will be on approximately the same timeline
Appreciate 0