E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil Sump!!!

10-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: E92 320D BLACK

Oil Sump!!!

Alright, so went to Bmw to get a service done, asked them to check everything on the car, change ALL filters because the car had been in a garage for about 1.5 years and check engine because there was an oil leakage. Just bought the car and it seemed SOOO SLOW because all filters were clogged but that's not important.
The day after Bmw called me and told me that the oil sump was cracked and they would have to change it because it was leaking a lot, and it was also leaking from the top of the engine from the cylinders (cylinder head?).
This oil sump is extremly expensive with working hours, but to the point, what may have caused this oil sump to crack and why would oil suddenly come out of the top of the engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

Common issue is the oil filter housing gasket begins to leak. Which is at the top of the engine. Not familiar with what an oil sump is.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixxishot View Post
Common issue is the oil filter housing gasket begins to leak. Which is at the top of the engine. Not familiar with what an oil sump is.
Oil sump is where the oil pan is brings oil up into the engine as a pump. Generally you have to remove suspension to get at it, I think more than 1 exists in these cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixxishot View Post
Alright but they didn't just change a gasket, I'll post a picture later, they changed a whole section on the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
Oil sump is where the oil pan is brings oil up into the engine as a pump. Generally you have to remove suspension to get at it, I think more than 1 exists in these cars.
There's more than one???
This must have been the main one then, but how is it even possible to crack it if the suspension is in the way?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-JONAS-#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
There's more than one???
This must have been the main one then, but how is it even possible to crack it if the suspension is in the way?
Could have been crap in the road etc ive heard of people hitting big rocks in the road and damaging it. The suspension isnt fully protecting it its generally in the way of removal.

Sounds like it was the lower one that was damaged.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
sammk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Sounds phoney to me.. Unless they meant that the drain plug threads were stripped somehow.. Which is technically a sump damage. Other than that, the sump won't just crack by itself, there has to have been some impact like a big flying rock (which would have to have torn through your plastic underbody cover), or something along those lines.. The sump is a cast Aluminum part, about 3-4 mm thick.. It's not a chintzy stamped steel part exposed to the elements like in older/cheaper cars..
      10-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
Sounds phoney to me.. Unless they meant that the drain plug threads were stripped somehow.. Which is technically a sump damage. Other than that, the sump won't just crack by itself, there has to have been some impact like a big flying rock (which would have to have torn through your plastic underbody cover), or something along those lines.. The sump is a cast Aluminum part, about 3-4 mm thick.. It's not a chintzy stamped steel part exposed to the elements like in older/cheaper cars..
I don't know what has happened to the car in the past so it's kinda hard for me to tell if it's been a rock, it was just to know is it was normal?
The car is lowered, has the M sports suspension, and is hard as hell to drive even on the freeway!
Appreciate 0