E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > KW V1 Installed

05-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #45
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Minnesota, huh? I spent 4 years there. With that drop of yours you'll probably will want a jeep for snowy days.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #46
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHR
Minnesota, huh? I spent 4 years there. With that drop of yours you'll probably will want a jeep for snowy days.
I've actually been just fine with the drop. I'm just a little lower than a 335i with sport package. I wouldn't want to go any lower however. My old Audi was a little bit lower and I broke the belly pan once, but other than that I've been ok. I also walk to work and live downtown Minneapolis so I never have to drive my car if it's really bad outside.
      04-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #47
j.t.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
After a lot of research, reading user reviews on this site and deliberation, I finally decided to go with KW V1 coilovers for my 2008 335xi coupe.

In my suspension I wanted a setup that would:
-Be fine for daily driving
-Not be too harsh driving in the city
-Keep the car planted during turning
-Reduce body roll
-Get rid of the sensation that the car is going to take-off like a plane with all of the air flowing under it
-Get rid of the rake
-Get rid of the 4x4 look
-Not be too expensive

At one time or another I was considering the following options: Eibach/Bilstein, H&R Sport/Bilstein, TC Kline coilovers, HPA coilovers and KW V1 coilovers. I don't track the car at all so I thought KW V3's would have been overboard and I didn't have a lot of interest in H&R coilovers.

I was very close to getting the Eibach/Bilstein set since it covered almost all of my suspension needs, but I couldn't get over the fact that it still looked like there was a slight rake on the e92. H&R Sport/Bilstein would have been too harsh of a ride based off of reading user reviews, TC Kline's were too expensive and HPA's are not able to be lowered enough without compromising the suspension for my tastes. That left KW V1's and I was concerned that they would ride too harsh, but after reading countless threads, I decided to give them a shot.

I've had them on for 2 weeks now and I have to say that I absolutely love them. I was concerned that they were going to be too harsh, but they aren't at all. As many people have said, this is the way the suspension should have come from the factory. There are days where I forget that I'm even driving on coilovers. The KW V1's fit all of my needs perfectly.

I also want to note that I am a driving enthusiast, not an expert. I had coilovers on my old A4 so I've had experience with an upgraded suspension, but I can't tell you every tiny detail about the mechanics and physics of the suspension like others can on this forum (but I am trying to learn as much as I can!) My point is that I'm sure there are others on the forum that are in the same boat as me who want to get rid of the 4x4 look without compromising the ride quality of riding on a suspension that would jar you every time you hit an imperfection in the road. If you're in that situation, I would highly recommend KW V1's.

Ok, enough writing. Here are the pics! That's why you clicked into this thread in the first place! (Oh, I also Plasti-Dipped my trim a few weeks ago too!)

Have you driven them in the snow? How're they holding up?
      04-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #48
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.t. View Post
Quote:
After a lot of research, reading user reviews on this site and deliberation, I finally decided to go with KW V1 coilovers for my 2008 335xi coupe.

In my suspension I wanted a setup that would:
-Be fine for daily driving
-Not be too harsh driving in the city
-Keep the car planted during turning
-Reduce body roll
-Get rid of the sensation that the car is going to take-off like a plane with all of the air flowing under it
-Get rid of the rake
-Get rid of the 4x4 look
-Not be too expensive

At one time or another I was considering the following options: Eibach/Bilstein, H&R Sport/Bilstein, TC Kline coilovers, HPA coilovers and KW V1 coilovers. I don't track the car at all so I thought KW V3's would have been overboard and I didn't have a lot of interest in H&R coilovers.

I was very close to getting the Eibach/Bilstein set since it covered almost all of my suspension needs, but I couldn't get over the fact that it still looked like there was a slight rake on the e92. H&R Sport/Bilstein would have been too harsh of a ride based off of reading user reviews, TC Kline's were too expensive and HPA's are not able to be lowered enough without compromising the suspension for my tastes. That left KW V1's and I was concerned that they would ride too harsh, but after reading countless threads, I decided to give them a shot.

I've had them on for 2 weeks now and I have to say that I absolutely love them. I was concerned that they were going to be too harsh, but they aren't at all. As many people have said, this is the way the suspension should have come from the factory. There are days where I forget that I'm even driving on coilovers. The KW V1's fit all of my needs perfectly.

I also want to note that I am a driving enthusiast, not an expert. I had coilovers on my old A4 so I've had experience with an upgraded suspension, but I can't tell you every tiny detail about the mechanics and physics of the suspension like others can on this forum (but I am trying to learn as much as I can!) My point is that I'm sure there are others on the forum that are in the same boat as me who want to get rid of the 4x4 look without compromising the ride quality of riding on a suspension that would jar you every time you hit an imperfection in the road. If you're in that situation, I would highly recommend KW V1's.

Ok, enough writing. Here are the pics! That's why you clicked into this thread in the first place! (Oh, I also Plasti-Dipped my trim a few weeks ago too!)

Have you driven them in the snow? How're they holding up?
Yep, had them on for 5 years now. It's my daily driver so they've seen plenty of snow. The coilovers are holding up great.
      04-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #49
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
This may be by go-to. Thank you all for
providing this information on coilovers for our AWD models.

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #50
While.silent
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i xDrive

Wow this is exactly what I was looking for. I was indecisive between these, BC's or Bilsteins but I think this seals the deal.

Not a lot of info out their for xDrive models. I've also got 18" SM-10's along the way and was worried about the fitment, but since you're running 19's I think I'll be fine.

I live in MA and the roads are garbage, and the stock non-sport suspension is too soft and the body roll is just unbelievable.

Now I just gotta wait until I can get a good deal on V1's because they go for about $1,700
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:43 PM   #51
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've been running them for 9.5 years (~65k miles) and I'm still liking them. I can't believe it's been that long!

I haven't adjusted them at all since they were installed.

I'm still running 18's in the winter and 19's in the summer.
      03-03-2022, 04:09 PM   #52
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
I've been running them for 9.5 years (~65k miles) and I'm still liking them. I can't believe it's been that long!

Are you on the original internals, or did you have them rebuilt? And what vehicle are you running them on?

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #53
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
Quote:

Are you on the original internals, or did you have them rebuilt? And what vehicle are you running them on?
Yes, everything is original.

2008 e92 335xi