E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 5 teens die in M5 goign 160mph

02-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #45
essexcounty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

^You have no idea, Dave.

My dad LOVED that car, and I felt like such a POS when it was left smoldering after the fire dept got through w/it. One of the worst days of my life.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #46
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Sad to hear this. I would never allow my kids to access my cars regardless.

My heart and prayers goes out to all who this effects directly.
      02-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #47
Drawarms
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 VW GTI

if you can find this article check this out.

http://www.curbzone.com/off-topic/13...fic-crash.html

these 2 kids where my VERY good friends. My friend jack got a 2007 BMW 335i coupe. I went to high school with these kids. He was going around 170. We sent the pictures and items to BMW North America, thats what they said. No kid under 21 and no one over 21 with at least to experience in high performance vehicles should get a Twin turbo BMW. I have a 330ci, and it scares the shit out of me sometimes.

RIP mike and jack.

It was around graduation last year, it was pretty sad.
As goes for me, I have respect for cars and plan on getting a 128i because a 135i would just scare the shit out of me.

Also his was in Automatic, you think it has anything to do with the crash?

also please no bashing on the kid or his parents. He came from a very nice family both kids and he thought he could have some fun and it turned out wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 01:01 AM   #48
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawarms View Post
if you can find this article check this out.

http://www.curbzone.com/off-topic/13...fic-crash.html

these 2 kids where my VERY good friends. My friend jack got a 2007 BMW 335i coupe. I went to high school with these kids. He was going around 170. We sent the pictures and items to BMW North America, thats what they said. No kid under 21 and no one over 21 with at least to experience in high performance vehicles should get a Twin turbo BMW. I have a 330ci, and it scares the shit out of me sometimes.

RIP mike and jack.

It was around graduation last year, it was pretty sad.
As goes for me, I have respect for cars and plan on getting a 128i because a 135i would just scare the shit out of me.

Also his was in Automatic, you think it has anything to do with the crash?

also please no bashing on the kid or his parents. He came from a very nice family both kids and he thought he could have some fun and it turned out wrong.
Very sorry as well. The photos alone are worth a thousand words.

NO THE A/T HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. PERIOD!!!

It was the Driver!
      02-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #49
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Edmunds talked about it today, its linked here from their Inside Line section:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..3.*
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #50
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Edmunds talked about it today, its linked here from their Inside Line section:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..3.*
Thanks for posting. This needs to be up here for all to see. I hope that some of the info maybe will save lives in the process.
      02-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #51
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
It is an age thing, I think. I look back to the stuff I did in my teens/early 20's in cars, and am glad I'm still here, and never hurt anybody.

I would never dream of doing anything like that now...
I just want to politely disagree with the age thing. My first car, that my parents helped get me, was a 2.0L New Beetle, which I got at 17. I got a few speeding tickets and some fender benders in it, since i wasn't paying for it, I didn't seem to really care.

I'm 25 now, and I've owned a 2004 S2000, 2006 Honda Civic Si, and had a 2007 RS4 for a small bit, the 2008 R32, now my 135i when it comes. The difference: I paid for every aspect of them myself. Never had an accident or a speeding ticket in any of those cars.

So, as a young driver, i think the feeling of true ownership helped me gain a sense of discretion and responsibility. So from my experience, i would have been better off as a 17 year old if I bought a beater, rather than mommy and daddy buying me a brand new VW New Beetle and paying for my insurance. Let me tell you, in NJ it takes a while to get those speeding tickets off your record.

But I think young drivers can be responsible, it just takes the right person. No one belongs in a 135i as their first rear wheel drive car, let alone first car. But I'm one to talk, as my first manual car was the S2000, which I leased for myself on my 22nd birthday.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #52
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

^ You are an exception. "We" in a lot of cases, live by example more than anything else.