E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Any one put VTT inlets on?

03-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #1
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Any one put VTT inlets on?

I want more power and have been waiting to see if TFT fits which seems like a bit of a pain to make fit.

Considering TFT will cost around 2000 to get done I was thinking of VTT inlets again.

Anyone got them fitted?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 02:13 AM   #2
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
I want more power and have been waiting to see if TFT fits which seems like a bit of a pain to make fit.

Considering TFT will cost around 2000 to get done I was thinking of VTT inlets again.

Anyone got them fitted?
Yeah advan put them on a RB equipped 135i and they made a new advan N54 dyno record of 375 rwkw

https://www.facebook.com/16617087007...type=1&theater

Pete said they were a nightmare to install, but on this car it gained ~ 25rwkw with them installed
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 04:36 AM   #3
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post

Anyone got them fitted?
Hey mate,

please refer to my posts in the TFT intake/turbo inlet thread regarding fitment of the rear turbo inlet pipe. In summary good things come to those who wait.

Ummm, the VTT silicone inlet pipes can be installed but jeez the front pipe is anything but direct fitment.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Yeah advan put them on a RB equipped 135i and they made a new advan N54 dyno record of 375 rwkw

https://www.facebook.com/16617087007...type=1&theater

Pete said they were a nightmare to install, but on this car it gained ~ 25rwkw with them installed
The 135i in question went from a previous best of 353rwkW to 375rwkW with little to no fuss.

FYI,

there should be at least another 10 possibly 15rwkW to be had with enough octane to support a higher boost target above 5,500rpm.

There was only an E15 blend in the tank and whilst the car was running Methanol injection (albeit with a 50/50 mix) the AFR's were a bit on the lean side, so Peter and I both decided to err on the side of caution and call it a day until we had an E50+ blend in the tank to play with.

Greg will be installing some pretty serious fueling upgrades in the very near future and I already have a custom E85 backend flash on the way that will target safer AFR's whilst supporting a little more ignition advance up top too.

With correct fueling via hardware upgrades and a custom backend flash I'm confident the little 135i will be knocking on the door of the 400rwkW club, which bodes very well for the TFT intake/turbo inlet kit as I believe the TFT kit (with a properly sorted rear turbo inlet pipe) will outperform the Vargas silicone turbo inlet pipes.

Thanks,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
Flex68
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I think the front Inlet is not designed for the Oem intake more so for custom hence the fitment
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
I think the front Inlet is not designed for the Oem intake more so for custom hence the fitment
Unfortunately the fitment of the front silicone pipe to the OEM airbox lower section front snout was not the only problem to overcome.

Don't get me wrong they can be installed and they clearly make power, but front pipe fitment is anything but straight forward and requires a degree of finessing and that's putting it politely.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

The hose set that was supplied to us for that install had a few issues, i could NOT recommend this kit as a DIY deal in its present form.
From what i have been told there is a version 2 out now ?????.
Don't know what version we fitted i hope it was the version 1.

1- Fitting the front hose to the factory airbox lower was a problem, in that the approach angle needs work.
2- The fitting of the inlet hose to the turbos using the factory rubber insert is not a great idea as the insert when clamped will slip off the compressor cover when exposed to oil.
3- The front hose where it goes onto the compressor cover should be a little longer, this would help big time with clearance for the coolant hoses, in time there is potential for them to rub through, we found by extending the VTT hose the fit was much better with regards the coolant hoses, prior to the tweak the hoses(s) were being distorted.

I am not knocking the VTT hose kit it, after all it's more than we have done and the power gains are most definitely there on "Stage 2" turbos, it just needs a few more tweaks.

Sorry i am just a fussy old bugger, and yes i would fit a set on my own car and do our own custom changes for a perfect fit......

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 03-31-2015 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:07 AM   #9
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I was a bit flabbergasted at the price for a few silicon hoses at first...

I guess since he's done the R&D he needs to recuperate his costs, but once it's established that it works and they gain x amount of power no doubt cheaper alternative will be manufactured and offered to the market.

Which then begs the question wouldn't it be easy to get a set of silicon pipes manufactured anyway?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:50 AM   #10
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

What do mean no good for diy. Do they fit, short, twisted, kinked?

After installing rbs I cant see whats so hard about installing vtt inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #11
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
The hose set that was supplied to us for that install were a POS, i could NOT recommend this kit as a DIY deal in its present form.
Peter, care to explain? We have a set of our inlets on a RHD 1M, the shop who installed them said while tough to get in (as ANY set of N54 inlets will be due to the nature of getting the old ones out) once in they fit perfectly, no fitment issues at all. We also have near all 20 sets installed on various cars around the world, all reporting back the same. If you had a fitment issue please drop us an email and let us know. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #12
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
With correct fueling via hardware upgrades and a custom backend flash I'm confident the little 135i will be knocking on the door of the 400rwkW club, which bodes very well for the TFT intake/turbo inlet kit as I believe the TFT kit (with a properly sorted rear turbo inlet pipe) will outperform the Vargas silicone turbo inlet pipes.
Our inlets with VTT turbos are already in the "400RWKW club, our RHD 1M made 419RWKW, at 5500 elevation, e50, 50% WGDG and the car completely out of fuel. The TFT inlets will not out perform ours, both will provide similar performance gains. We will happily put our inlets up against the TFT's anytime, and they are a 1/4 of the price. We have had ONE case of someone reporting bad fitment, and this thread is it. The other 19 sets, all reported back perfect fitment. If anyone has any questions, please contact us before believing everything you read on the internet!

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChDR9SrL2J0[/u2b]
Attached Images

Last edited by Tony@vargasturbotech; 03-31-2015 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 04:40 PM   #13
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
So is there any truth regarding a version 2 being made Tony?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti84 View Post
Nope, based on feedback from other customers it looks as though the fitment issues I had with that set of VTT silicone pipes at Advan were isolated to that one set, I should I say specifically the front turbo pipe as the rear was fine once massaged into place.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #15
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti84 View Post
Absolutely not, we went through 3 revisions during in house testing to get all the kinks out of fitment. The version we released have had wonderful feedback so far. It is very possibly Advan got a set that had a molding error we missed during inspection, and shipping. If they have any questions or concerns they can contact us, and we would be willing to discuss any problems they found.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:48 PM   #16
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
The hose set that was supplied to us for that install had a few issues, i could NOT recommend this kit as a DIY deal in its present form.

1- Fitting the front hose to the factory airbox lower was a problem, in that the approach angle needs work.
2- The fitting of the inlet hose to the turbos using the factory rubber insert is not a great idea as the insert when clamped will slip off the compressor cover when exposed to oil.
3- The front hose where it goes onto the compressor cover should be a little longer, this would help big time with clearance for the coolant hoses, in time there is potential for them to rub through, we found by extending the VTT hose the fit was much better with regards the coolant hoses, prior to the tweak the hoses(s) were being distorted.

I am not knocking the VTT hose kit it, after all it's more than we have done and the power gains are most definitely there on "Stage 2" turbos, it just needs a few more tweaks.

Sorry i am just a fussy old bugger, and yes i would fit a set on my own car and do our own custom changes for a perfect fit......
Bump.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #17
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Bump.
Peter, one thing I see right off the bat is, the factory rubber inserts are NOT to be used, the hoses are NOT designed to be used with them, and if they are used. Expect the hoses to slip off no matter how tight you tigten the clamps. Also the issues you are mentioning seem isolated to you. We have 19 sets installed, none complained off the angle to the air box, or length to the turbo inlets, we actually changed angle, and inlet length 3 times during testing to get what we felt was a perfect fit. We apologize for the hassle you guys had installing them, but it sounds like trying to use the stock inserts was a big part of the problem. The hose will reduce down for a very tight fit on the stock inlet, we clamped one to a turbo on an engine stand and did a pull test, we could not pull it off. Anyways, thanks for the frank, and no bs review of your experience. We hope your next one with one of our products will be more positive. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:08 PM   #18
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@vargasturbotech View Post
Peter, one thing I see right off the bat is, the factory rubber inserts are NOT to be used, the hoses are NOT designed to be used with them, and if they are used. Expect the hoses to slip off no matter how tight you tigten the clamps. Also the issues you are mentioning seem isolated to you. We have 19 sets installed, none complained off the angle to the air box, or length to the turbo inlets, we actually changed angle, and inlet length 3 times during testing to get what we felt was a perfect fit. We apologize for the hassle you guys had installing them, but it sounds like trying to use the stock inserts was a big part of the problem. The hose will reduce down for a very tight fit on the stock inlet, we clamped one to a turbo on an engine stand and did a pull test, we could not pull it off. Anyways, thanks for the frank, and no bs review of your experience. We hope your next one with one of our products will be more positive. Cheers!
Yep we made up two slotted alloy inserts and tapered them to help with air flow, i just felt that the crush on the hose without an insert was to much for the hose. All good
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #19
Beemzilla
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive E90

We ended up using the insert, pipe was .5" too big around compressor inlet on both... Anyone else have any solutions??
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #20
Beemzilla
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive E90

You can't clamp these inlets to the much smaller stock frame. Even with the clamp maxed, it still slips off. ***Without insert*** my install is at a standstill because of poor fitment. Need to get creative and find a way to tighten the inlet to compressor.
Appreciate 0