E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Can Some1 Recommend Best Intake, Stock Exhaust

01-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Can Some1 Recommend Best Intake, Stock Exhaust

Please keep cost effectiveness as well as quality in mind with your suggestions. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

*EDIT* LOL I can't stand being the search asshat, the best intake for "performance", if you can call it that, is afe or k&n drop-in for the stock airbox, with the carbon filter delete, diy is posted somewhere. You can add in some air scoops if you want. This setup is exactly what I'm running which is AFE DRY drop in, because I didn't want an oiled to possibly mess up my MAF sensor, carbon filter delete, and cyba scoops. I noticed an improvement in throttle response after getting this done, although it could be a giant placebo, but logically the procedure makes sense. If you're just going for sound and don't care about a possible performance hit with heatsoak issues you can go for CAI systems offered by AFE or Injen, although most will recommend AFE because of its provided heatshield enclosure.

Hope this info was helpful.. and yea.. search!! so many topics on this.

-James
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoS810 View Post

*EDIT* LOL I can't stand being the search asshat, the best intake for "performance", if you can call it that, is afe or k&n drop-in for the stock airbox, with the carbon filter delete, diy is posted somewhere. You can add in some air scoops if you want. This setup is exactly what I'm running which is AFE DRY drop in, because I didn't want an oiled to possibly mess up my MAF sensor, carbon filter delete, and cyba scoops. I noticed an improvement in throttle response after getting this done, although it could be a giant placebo, but logically the procedure makes sense. If you're just going for sound and don't care about a possible performance hit with heatsoak issues you can go for CAI systems offered by AFE or Injen, although most will recommend AFE because of its provided heatshield enclosure.

-James
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
sandman0615
bimmer freak
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi 6MT

Quote:

-James

lol the search asshat....i just wanted to add i have Injen and it includes a heat shield like the afe unit. but in all honesty dont expect any useable power from any intake unless its a full CAI. most e9x units are short ram, but it will certainly make your car sound more beastly

||DIY: DEPO P90||
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

aFe for the intake, go with the oiled filters which are reusable as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
335imax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

The best intake is the stock intake

Save your money, no room for HP on the intake. All they give you is sound!
Save for the intake manifold swap or a good tune...
      01-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
"Save for the intake manifold swap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325imax View Post
Save your money, no room for HP on the intake. All they give you is sound!
Save for the intake manifold swap or a good tune...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Amclp640
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

go with injen it sounds nice and looks really good too
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Put on the EURO air box and filter. You will be pleased.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
jfisher160
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
"Save for the intake manifold swap"
If you have the 325i or 328i you can do a 330i 3 stage manifold swap. Which will run around $1500 for parts and the tune + the cost of install. You will see close to 330i HP numbers. If you search the form there is like hundreds of threads about it.

Also if you are looking for low cost and good intake go with the AFE. If you want a good exhaust also, go with MMW ask Craven about it. That is what I have for exhaust and love it.

Sold - 2007 328i (3-Stage Manifold - BMW Perf Intake w/Scoops - Powerbox - Magnaflow Exhaust - MMW Headers - KW Street Comfort - VMR 701s 19' w/M3 offset - BMW Strut Brace - 330I Brake Conversation - 5% Tint All Around - 8K HID Fog Lights -Angel Eyes)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
rigdowntex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

You mentioned quality, stay with BMW, go with the BMW performance exhaust setup. I did and am quite happy........RDT
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
the best intake for "performance", if you can call it that, is afe or k&n drop-in for the stock airbox, with the carbon filter delete, diy is posted somewhere. You can add in some air scoops if you want.

-James
+1 this is the setup that works the best, I personally like the K&N drop in filter because its a little cheaper and works great.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

I loved the AFE sound but perfromance wise it sucked.. Your will be a tad bit quicker at high speeds but you will lose perfromance on take off.

Best setup IMO is a carbon filter delete with a k&n drop in filter in your stock air box. Exhaust wise, I'd go with BMW perfromance.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
5erman
Banned
Rep
Drives: black 5 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
aFe for the intake, go with the oiled filters which are reusable as well.
How can you as a seller honestly give crap rec's like this? Where have you been for 5 years and not have seen the AFE fail on every NA engine bmw makes including the M5, e60s and 3 series and any other NA engine. It really destroys your credibility that you spend this much time on the boards yet do not know what products work. It reminds me of a bmw employee who never knows anything about their own products.

really sad advice
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

like everyone else said keep the stock intake, get a drop in filter, cut the charcoal. for exhaust if u want stock there's really only the bmw perf. I have these two except for my secondaries deleted also, sounds nice, feels like a bit of improvement, im happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
How can you as a seller honestly give crap rec's like this? Where have you been for 5 years and not have seen the AFE fail on every NA engine bmw makes including the M5, e60s and 3 series and any other NA engine. It really destroys your credibility that you spend this much time on the boards yet do not know what products work. It reminds me of a bmw employee who never knows anything about their own products.

really sad advice
It's not crap and not unfounded. aFe's claims of 27hp are not accurate but their intakes are effective and do produce power. We've ran two of their dual cone systems both with and without software. The intakes with software made a substantial improvement in power. The Dynos of their systems losing power have a number of flaws including 1) testing with the hood open (the intake is designed to work with the hood closed) 2) testing back to back without allowing the ECU to adapt.

I am not sure if you have had a chance to see our Tour of aFe but there is a tremendous amount of R&D and testing that goes into each system. They start as a rapid prototype part that is mocked to the test vehicle and refined to reduce air turbulence and ensure maximum air flow. All of their filters and intake pieces are put through a peak flow meter test to measure the increase in air flow for all filter types.

I recommend spending the time to read through our detailed review of their manufacturing facility and not extrapolate the efficacy of their product line from a single dyno review.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #17
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
It's not crap and not unfounded. aFe's claims of 27hp are not accurate but their intakes are effective and do produce power. We've ran two of their dual cone systems both with and without software. The intakes with software made a substantial improvement in power. The Dynos of their systems losing power have a number of flaws including 1) testing with the hood open (the intake is designed to work with the hood closed) 2) testing back to back without allowing the ECU to adapt.

I am not sure if you have had a chance to see our Tour of aFe but there is a tremendous amount of R&D and testing that goes into each system. They start as a rapid prototype part that is mocked to the test vehicle and refined to reduce air turbulence and ensure maximum air flow. All of their filters and intake pieces are put through a peak flow meter test to measure the increase in air flow for all filter types.

I recommend spending the time to read through our detailed review of their manufacturing facility and not extrapolate the efficacy of their product line from a single dyno review.
Nick,
You coming in here and defending a product that had a noticeable gain on a different engine. That is like saying If Kate Hudson had Carmen Electra's tits she would be a perfect 10.

Have you ever driven an N52 with the Afe Stage 2 Intake installed? If not I suggest you do. Drive before and after and see what you think. I promise you will be disappointed.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.

Last edited by AlpineSwift; 01-19-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Nick,
You coming in here and defending a product that had a noticeable gain on a different engine is like saying If Kate Hudson had Carmen Electra's tits she would be a perfect 10.

Have you ever driven an N52 with the Afe Stage 2 Intake installed? If not I suggest you do. Drive before and after and see what you think. I promise you will be disappointed.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #19
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Nick,
You coming in here and defending a product that had a noticeable gain on a different engine. That is like saying If Kate Hudson had Carmen Electra's tits she would be a perfect 10.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

AFE

AFE stage2 with a catback Exhaust was truly disappointing. Reason why purchased the Powerbox. Once that was install, I was a happy camper. I will be removing the intake and actually try the drop in filter bc of warranty work and rather play it safe.

Im not sure if your referring to Intake alone on N52 or with combination of tunes. It was useless product combined with just an exhaust system alone IMO. for the HP gain, not worth losing my warranty.

Quote:
Nick,

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #21
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Nick,

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #22
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Oooooooooooo-K

Maybe we need a topic change.. Guys thanks for all of your very informative help.
Appreciate 0