E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Introduction Of Rta Covert Speed Cameras Within Nsw

06-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
gucci
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Introduction Of Rta Covert Speed Cameras Within Nsw

It appears our Minister for Roads (Mr. I have been photographed driving in bus lanes again...oops sorry...), is about to introduce unmarked RTA speed detection camera cars (as seen in Victoria).

It is my understanding that these RTA vehicles hide at the side of the roadway and photograph alleged wrong-doers...sometime into the future an infringement notice is sent to the unsuspecting culprit (that will teach a valued lesson several weeks later).

Currently, in NSW speed camera cars are utilised by the Police Force, they are marked cars with red and blue light bars attached. I feel if you get caught by one of these marked Police cars, you probably deserve it, as you weren't paying enought attention.

However, with these covert (non descript RTA Holden and Ford sedans), you can only bet they will be utilised on main roads where it they produce the most revenue (show me the money).

If this Government was fair dinkum they would be putting more marked Highway Patrol vehicles on the road. Not only are they a deterent to speeding, they are also a very strong deterent to bad driving that is too often displayed on our roads. Examples, inconsiderate Taxi drivers we see pulling up or darting across several lanes to pick-up a fare, the white van that follows you so closely you can't see the driver, the `P' plated Hyundai (with wings and spoilers) that think they are driving WRX's (but only quicker).

Finally, don't forget that our speed limits are set to allow for the very worst registered motor vehicles that occupy the carriageway.....that is a rusty old 1964 Valiant (with retreads) not an E90 Beemer (with ESP, DSC, ABS etc etc) driven by a person who actually enjoys drving.

What are your thoughts?

Frustrated
Gucci :mad:
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucci View Post

Finally, don't forget that our speed limits are set to allow for the very worst registered motor vehicles that occupy the carriageway.....that is a rusty old 1964 Valiant (with retreads) not an E90 Beemer (with ESP, DSC, ABS etc etc) driven by a person who actually enjoys drving.
I agree with all you said Gucci but especially the above.

Our limits are set too low to compensate for barely roadworthy cars and inadequate drivers…. and now they want to raise revenue by booking anyone exceeding these silly limits.

Sigh.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #3
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
i could go on for hours about this...

watch out cops if you see me in a dark alley, lol

passionate about revenue raising here... one would of thought they had something better to do then chase after someone who did 1km over...

doughnuts anyone?
      06-06-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
All i'm going to say is it's worse in victoria!
So i'm liking it up here in NSW in that respect, apart from the poor quality roads here.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Don't be so sure about the holdens and fords! They use many different types of late model cars in victoria. Their favourite seems to be the subaru forester because the radar detection device fits perfectly in the space in the front bumper bar- so on a bright, clear day, when a flash device is not required, you can't tell it's a camera until you've passed the car.

One thing though, there MUST be a human operator in the car, so if the parked car has no occupants then it can't be a speed/ revenue camera!!
      06-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
Don't be so sure about the holdens and fords! They use many different types of late model cars in victoria. Their favourite seems to be the subaru forester because the radar detection device fits perfectly in the space in the front bumper bar- so on a bright, clear day, when a flash device is not required, you can't tell it's a camera until you've passed the car.

One thing though, there MUST be a human operator in the car, so if the parked car has no occupants then it can't be a speed/ revenue camera!!
they seem to drive anything here

i always slow down if a falcon etc comes up behind me, just incase, lol.... until i can see who is in the car
      06-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Are you saying that these are cops in unmarked cars? I was talking about the cameras which are outsourced by the government to private operators. These cameras are ALWAYS in cars which are stationary.

As for commodores and falcons coming up behind you- yeah you have to be careful that they're not unmarked cop cars.
      06-06-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Have a look here;

http://www.radar.com.au

In NSW it's $1250 and 9pts if your caught with it in your car. However they make some very good consealed ones that would take some serious looking to find.

It won't work on some fixed cameras (like tunnels where it's strips in the road that trigger them) so you probably need a road angel as well.

NSW searching laws were updated a few years ago making it more difficult for a car to be searched. Now if you threw on the anchors they might have probable cause .....

Suitable excuse if your hassled might be sorry officer but my active cruise control seams to set off radars, sorry about that. You should ask BMW for a copy of their technical bullitin.

9pts is a large hit though ... but maybe it's worth it?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
As for commodores and falcons coming up behind you- yeah you have to be careful that they're not unmarked cop cars.
been busted once... one more and i loose my license