E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > LED or Plasma...I can't decide!

04-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #67
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
This is the new GT50 50"...

Someone on avforums set, but with the silver around the bezel against piano black it looks pretty nice I reckon.
NOW THAT"S WHAT I CALL a 'TV ROOM' !!!

Superb!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #68
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
OP, if you have £500 to spend you would be hard pushed to beat this....

http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/panasonic-t...30-p-1538.html
Cheers gizze,

I have a little more - but I'm a bit tight with my money - so will always look for a cheaper option

If the truth be told, I haven't had a chance to go back and make a proper decision. I will probably decide by this w/e.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #69
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
I am not saying anyone is right or wrong with their decision.
There are times when an LCD makes more sense, however.......when people say that plasma is archaic and way behind led image wise it winds me up because it simply not true.
The manufacturers want LED to work as there is far more profit in them, but they have almost hit a brick wall with them, trying to produce black with a display that needs to be backlit causes too many issues.

They have local dimming sets to try and get round it, but there are 80 zones for the whole screen, so that in itself causes problems with blooming when you get light text on dark areas for example, it looks odd.
Plasma on the other hand is the ultimate local dimming display, it has over 6,000,000 zones on an HD display, each pixel is driven individually, red, green and blue.

But LCD can also look great, it can look very sharp, go really bright and for gaming can be better than plasma as long as the game is not fast moving purely because it is bright so has lots of 'pop'.
Problem with LCD though is I love sport and games, and the moving resolution of most LCD displays is around 6-700 lines without adding processing.
The new plasmas will show the full 1080 lines of resolution, so retain far more detail when things are in motion.

At the end of the day finding a display is all about finding one that annoys you the least imho. They all have positives and negatives.

Are there 2 kinds of LED TV's -or is there only a 'backlit' version? My impression was that the image was produced on a bed of LED's - rather than it being lit by LED's. If you get what I'm saying.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #70
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
Are there 2 kinds of LED TV's -or is there only a 'backlit' version? My impression was that the image was produced on a bed of LED's - rather than it being lit by LED's. If you get what I'm saying.
The image on an LED set is edge lit. There are a strip of LEDs running round the edge of the screen* instead of behind the screen like on LCDs with tubes behind them.

This is why they have the spotlight effect, as the leds join beam at the corners it makes that torchlight effect as seen below...

*Some very expensive LED sets have the LEDs behind the panels, but these are usually local dimming sets, so they turn off the leds in dark scenes to try and get the blacks looking black.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #71
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

I had the same dilemma not long ago.
I came to the conclusion I prefer the brighter sharper picture of the LED.
Although plasma looked very realistic I didn't like the darker shaded colours. However some people prefer this, plasma can create a more realistic darker picture as it paints the darker tones using its pixels where LED has to turn off some pixels to find darker shades

Another advantage of plasma to consider is that it has a greater viewing angle, we have a small living room and the main sofa is bang infront of tv so it wasn't as useful for us.
LED has smaller pixels hence looking sharper.

Panasonic has better sounds (general consensus) Samsung make better screens.
Only ever had problems with Sony.

Just my 2p
Appreciate 0