E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > High Lift Garage Doors For 12 ft. ceilings

11-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Question High Lift Garage Doors For 12 ft. ceilings

I'm building a house, and it will have a 2 bay garage with 12 ft. ceilings. The community requires 2 doors. I want both doors to have high lift tracks, openers, springs, etc. so I can install a Backyard Buddy (or 2) without worrying about the door hitting the car on the lift.

I thought this might be an option from the door company (Overhead Door), but they have a lot more for folks with low ceilings than for me.

Has anyone been through this, or can you point me to someone who has? I have seen threads on garagejournal and DIYGarage Repair, but they mostly talk about conversions and what you have to replace. I'm hoping to have the builder order all the right stuff from the git-go and get it installed right the first time.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

It seems like any decent garage door company could do this. Its just a longer track and another panel or two...maybe an upgraded motor and spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I'm trying to think of the name; but there's a garage door brand who's motor mounts on the wall next to the door. Which means the tracks can go all the way to the ceiling and you have plenty of space for a lift.
      11-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep

The door opening is only 8 ft. high, so an 8 ft. door will be fine. But it seems in order to lift the door higher it requires different springs, drums, cables, etc. The motor is an issue, but the most commonly mentioned type is a jackshaft.

I'm looking to get a head start on this so it doesn't slow down the builder trying to find the solution - they will be breaking ground next week.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

I have no answer for this but if you do find a solution, please share it with us.
      11-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I have a friend who did this exact same thing. I'll ask him on monday. If I remember correcty the door tracks go up at a 45 deg. angle and the door spring is heavier to hold the door up.

However I do have a suggestion on your lift. Get a real commercial lift installed. They are less than $5K installed. a 10,000 lb. lift is the standard lift most garages use.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
As said, any good garage door installer can do this. They just extend the verticle tracks an extra 3' up or so. I'm sure they also have various ways to adapt it to a garage door opener as well.
      11-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

this exact thing is done to our garage to accomodate a lift. the tracks just extend uoward a few extra feet. it is no big deal on making it.
      11-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep

I'm beginning to think that it won't be a big deal. Most of the horror stories I hear are about conversions and the cost of getting all new hardware including doors. Hopefully, I'll get it right.

Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
gistsbone
Registered
Rep
Drives: sf

This game will be awesome. I had a blast playing the demo.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gistsbone View Post
This game will be awesome. I had a blast playing the demo.
Huh?

Back on topic. Rick, please be sure to keep us updated with pics... can't wait to see how your garage build comes to life.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs***** View Post
Huh?

Back on topic. Rick, please be sure to keep us updated with pics... can't wait to see how your garage build comes to life.
I will - but as of yesterday all I have is a hole in the ground with some water in the bottom. Hopefully this week they can get footers, and possibly foundation forms done - The weather forecast is dry until Saturday.

I go by every couple days, stand in the same place, and take some pictures so I can later watch the house grow. The completion target is late March or April.

Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

How long did it take you before you found your home design, contractor to build your house?
      11-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep

The biggest issue was finding a lot - the area we were looking in (Eastern/Northern Baltimore County) is fairly full, and nobody is opening up new land for development with things the way they are. We looked for about 2 months and saw a lot in a small development that could work for us. The lot was committed to one builder. He is a custom builder, and we started from a blank sheet of paper to get the design we wanted. The overall design went very quickly - about a month and a half. We had been looking at plans on the Web and other places, so we had a good idea what we wanted. The details of the kitchen, bathrooms, etc. took about 2 months. The builder is very flexible, and we can do upgrades and change some things like door locations if we need to as construction progresses.

To get back to the OT, the builder talked to the local Overhead Door branch, and they are on top of the jackshaft opener and installation for the tall ceilings, so it all looks good.

Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0